Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87N - Wifi
CPU
i5-4670K
Graphics
GTX 650
Need some help, I upgraded Yosemite on the wrong drive. Currently I have a HDD and a SSD. I upgraded from Mavericks and my setup was the OS would boot from the SSD and I have a HDD partitioned to store my files/etc. I accidentally chose the wrong drive after upgrading to Yosemite and it upgraded my HDD/Boot to Yosemite. Is there a way for me to reverse this and set my SSD to boot? Should I just go through the upgrade again? I still am pretty new to this stuff, any advice would be appreciated!

Need some help, I upgraded Yosemite on the wrong drive. Currently I have a HDD and a SSD. I upgraded from Mavericks and my setup was the OS would boot from the SSD and I have a HDD partitioned to store my files/etc. I accidentally chose the wrong drive after upgrading to Yosemite and it upgraded my HDD/Boot to Yosemite. Is there a way for me to reverse this and set my SSD to boot? Should I just go through the upgrade again? I still am pretty new to this stuff, any advice would be appreciated!

As I understand it, surely you should still be able to boot from your SSD as it was not affected and access the files on the Storage HDD where you will be abled to delete the unnecessary files and folders. Unfortunately you will have to go through the Yosemite update process again but this time, do the right thing and disconnect all other drives to avoid repeating the same mistake.
Good Luck.

As I understand it, surely you should still be able to boot from your SSD as it was not affected and access the files on the Storage HDD where you will be abled to delete the unnecessary files and folders. Unfortunately you will have to go through the Yosemite update process again but this time, do the right thing and disconnect all other drives to avoid repeating the same mistake.
Good Luck.

Thanks! That's a relief to hear... What files would I have to delete from my storage HDD?

If you know what files you have on the storage Drive it shouldn't be too hard to distinguish those from what was added by the up date.

If you use your Storage Drive for Music, Movies, Games etc - I would hazard a guess that these folders Library, System, Applications and Users on this Drive can be deleted.

Do this -> Open Finder on Task-bar -> Highlight your Storage Drive in 'Devices' in the Side Menu -> You should see these folders I mentioned -> Delete them (PLEASE CHECK IT IS THE STORAGE DRIVE YOU HIGHLIGHTED AND NOT YOUR BOOT DRIVE).

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back