Graphics
GeForce GTX650 1GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Have run a fairly stable "MacMini" system for 18 months and have just upgraded to Yosemite (skipping Mavericks entirely). Unfortunately I'm now experiencing a restart/shutdown problem.

After much research on these forums I feel like I'm more lost than I was to begin with. Other users seem to have narrowed it down to a problem with any one of these things:
- BIOS settings
- USB (plugged in), or USB 3.0 kexts being installed
- Graphic card not installed/configured correctly
- System definition chosen incorrectly

Can someone point me in the right direction? What is likely to cause a hackintosh not to shutdown completely?

The Problem (consistent since Yosemite installation):
When I either restart or shutdown my system my monitor goes blank (not off, just blank - it flickers between Digital and Anagram mode like it's been starved of input) but my fan keeps running and my case lights are still on.

The system never moves on from this point and only a forced power down, holding down the power button on the case will bring it back to life and begin to boot up the system. If I choose to restart I get stuck at the same point.

My System
Gigabyte Z77n-WIFI
Intel i7 3770
8GB Ram
NVidia GTX650 1GB
Intel 520 Series SSD 120GB + Seagate 1TB HDD

MacOS: Yosemite
MultiBeast configuration:
Quick Start > DSDT-free
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC892
Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.11.1328
Bootloaders > Chimera v4.0.1
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - Desktop
Customize > Boot Options > Kext Dev Mode
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache
Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1

I'm still learning, so any information would be much appreciated.

Turn the computer on. When it gets to the Chimera screen hit any key on the keyboard, then type:

UseKernelCache=No

Then hit Enter (or Return)

The computer should continue to boot. Wait till the computer gets to the desktop. Now go to the Apple menu and choose "Shutdown."

Does it power all the way down, or are the fans still on?

Thanks Eddy - I tried your UseKernelCache=No on boot screen and was able to boot up successfully AND shut down fully using the normal, menu driven Shut Down... command

Based on that, I loaded up Yosemite again, reopened my MultiBeast settings and unchecked
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache
Then hit Build.

Shut Down... again successfully. Powered on the machine... and hit a white screen with a frozen cursor instead of a successfully loaded Yosemite. I forced a restart using the case button and went through boot up and got through to Yosemite.

Will see if the white screen of death appears again and keep you posted.

Ok, unless I have Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache installed using MultiBeast I run into real problems getting back into Yosemite on start up.

Sometimes I don't get to the (Chimera?) boot screen, I only get past the BIOS loading screen and then see a black screen with a single _ or | or \ character in the top left corner. It animates for a moment or two, then freezes. I force a power off. Power on. I reach the boot screen and it begins to load off my SSD. I see an Apple logo and a progress bar that reach about 1/3 through then I see a white screen with a white cursor that is frozen. Yosemite doesn't load.

For now I will go back to using the KernelCache.

Suggestions on how to proceed?

Try -f rather than UseKernelCache=No ? I had problems very similar to yours (power staying on after shutdown, blank screen / freeze upon restart) and this seems to have fixed the issue. UseKernelCache=No leads to immediate KP in my case.

Open org.chameleon.Boot.plist found at /Extra with TextWrangler and copy and paste the contents here.

No worries Eddy - here it is:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>IGPEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
        <key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
        <string>01000000</string>
        <key>UseKernelCache</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>HDAEnabler</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I'm not quite sure I've got my setup right as now I'm struggling to consistently boot up Yosemite. So if you spot anything off, let me know.

(Update)

My problems with boot up was caused by a separate issue (I had a USB hub plugged in at the back with a standard, not formatted as a bootable drive, flash drive stuck in it). I have removed the USB flash drive entirely and am able to reach the Chimera screen with 100% consistency.

At present if I load without boot flags I am unable to fully restart or shutdown from Yosemite.

At present if I load with the boot flags "-f" I am able to restart and shutdown fully from Yosemite.

I have taken some pictures of my -v "errors" or pauses during loading of OSX and will try and troubleshoot them down the track.

OK some of the messages/errors during the "-v -f" boot up I'm seeing are:

Code:
"name" not a kext
"Kernel = __SYNTAB" not a kext

- boot up continues -

Code:
** Root file system
     Executing fsck_hfs (version hfs-285).
Warning: couldn't block sleep during cache update
Warning: proceeding w/o DiscArb
/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
bash: /etc/rc.server: No such file or directory
bash: /etc/rc.installer_cleanup: No such file or directory

- boot up continues -

Code:
WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model
 -- power management may be incomplete or unsupported

- boot up continues and finishes successfully -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back