Contribute
Register

Upgraded GPU, updated to Catalina; sleep now causes crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are not going to use WhateverGreen, you need to do the GFX0 to IGPU and PEGP to GFX0 renames manually.
@pastrychef, thanks again for quick response. I just tried a number of scenarios with no luck getting the HW Encoding to show up:
- adding Lilu&WTG
- W & L and IGPU (surprised this booted, but no HW Encoding)
- W & L, IGPU and renames manually
- W & L, Renames manually, no IGPU
-just renames.

no scenario seems to work. attached are the changes, just to make sure I typed them in right.

thanks.

Attachments

• changes.png
    changes.png
    266 KB · Views: 61
@pastrychef, thanks again for quick response. I just tried a number of scenarios with no luck getting the HW Encoding to show up:
- adding Lilu&WTG
- W & L and IGPU (surprised this booted, but no HW Encoding)
- W & L, IGPU and renames manually
- W & L, Renames manually, no IGPU
-just renames.

no scenario seems to work. attached are the changes, just to make sure I typed them in right.

thanks.

Please try with this EFI.
  • I changed system definition from iMac18,3 to iMacPro1,1, so please disable IGPU in BIOS. I did this because I've read from other 5700 XT users who had much more success with iMacPro1,1.
  • I enabled the USB 15 port limit patches. I didn't see any USB fix in your EFI so this was needed for functional USB.
  • I enabled SIP to prevent any unsigned kexts from /Library/Extensions/ from loading.

I saw a MemoryAllocation.efi driver in your EFI. I don't know what this is or what it does.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 64
Please try with this EFI.
  • I changed system definition from iMac18,3 to iMacPro1,1, so please disable IGPU in BIOS. I did this because I've read from other 5700 XT users who had much more success with iMacPro1,1.
  • I enabled the USB 15 port limit patches. I didn't see any USB fix in your EFI so this was needed for functional USB.
  • I enabled SIP to prevent any unsigned kexts from /Library/Extensions/ from loading.

I saw a MemoryAllocation.efi driver in your EFI. I don't know what this is or what it does.
Im going to try this in a few minutes..... not sure why my zip didn't have it, but I do have a USBPorts.kext.

Im going to try this in a few minutes..... not sure why my zip didn't have it, but I do have a USBPorts.kext.

If you have USBPorts.kext, please disable the two KextsToPatches in config.plist and remove USBInjectAll.kext.

If you have USBPorts.kext, please disable the two KextsToPatches in config.plist and remove USBInjectAll.kext.
I appreciate all this help. Unfortunately it didn't change anything. Still no HW Acceleration. It did screw up iMessages, but I can recover that.
I see you run ASUS....I'm wondering if there's something in the Gigabyte bios that might screw this up??

I appreciate all this help. Unfortunately it didn't change anything. Still no HW Acceleration. It did screw up iMessages, but I can recover that.
I see you run ASUS....I'm wondering if there's something in the Gigabyte bios that might screw this up??

Messages being messed up is a result of changing your system definition from iMac18,3 to iMacPro1,1. macOS thinks you are on a new computer and you will have to log back in to all your AppleID stuff.

Did you remember to disable IGPU in BIOS? If there's a setting in the BIOS to set "primary display" please set it to your 5700 XT.

Messages being messed up is a result of changing your system definition from iMac18,3 to iMacPro1,1. macOS thinks you are on a new computer and you will have to log back in to all your AppleID stuff.

Did you remember to disable IGPU in BIOS? If there's a setting in the BIOS to set "primary display" please set it to your 5700 XT.

The iMessage wasn't an issue..it just tells me booting form USB worked :)
I double checked to make sure I disabled the IGPU - yep
I also changed in BIOS to disable "Above 4G decoding" - still no Joy.

this is a stumper! Any other utility to check HW decoding...maybe it's something weird with reporting from VideoProc?

this is a stumper! Any other utility to check HW decoding...maybe it's something weird with reporting from VideoProc?

What are you seeing in System Information > Graphics/Displays? Does it say Metal is supported?

You can try downloading and playing the jellyfish-400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv video.

Or try downloading and playing one of the 4K demo videos from 4kmedia.org in QuickTime. If acceleration is working, the videos should play smoothly with very low CPU usage.

Also, are you refreshing VideoProc by clicking on the semi-circular arrow buttons?

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 8.52.14 AM.png

Lastly, try launching Hackintool and see if VDA Decoder is "Fully Supported".

you may use mpv player to test the hardware video acceleration is working

download the mpv.app and extract the file to the /Application Folder

mpv 0.31.0
https://laboratory.stolendata.net/~djinn/mpv_osx/mpv-0.31.0.tar.gz

run the mpv player in commandline, playback some video file
Code:
/Applications/mpv.app/Contents/MacOS/mpv --hwdec=videotoolbox /path/to/your/media/file

if Hardware Decoder is in use it will show
Code:
Using hardware decoding (videotoolbox).

What are you seeing in System Information > Graphics/Displays? Does it say Metal is supported?

You can try downloading and playing the jellyfish-400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv video.

Or try downloading and playing one of the 4K demo videos from 4kmedia.org in QuickTime. If acceleration is working, the videos should play smoothly with very low CPU usage.

Also, are you refreshing VideoProc by clicking on the semi-circular arrow buttons?

View attachment 444107

Lastly, try launching Hackintool and see if VDA Decoder is "Fully Supported".

Im seeing mixed results so far:

Jelly Fish Plays.
The 4k videos can't be DL'd right now...I will see a bit later
I did refresh in VideoPric
Metal does show as supported and GeekBench tests worked.
Hackintool shows VDA Decoder Failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back