CPU
Intel Core-i5 6300
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 520
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey everyone! Thank you for the help @nguyenmac sorting out the triple boot a while back.

So her's what I have:

Triple boot PB 4540s with 10.10.5, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and Ubuntu all installed in EFI on single hard drive with clover as my bootloader. Everything works well, and everything is playing nice with the others.

**WINDOWS 10 IS HERE**

I want to update my Windows 7 to Windows 10 WITHOUT formatting my entire hard drive and starting completely over from scratch, but I have been unable thus far to find a write up to follow for doing so. I have made a backup of my EFI partition to a USB drive and I have a clover USB to boot from if something gets messed up, so I should be able to at least boot from USB assuming the update doesn't go smoothly, but if there are any issues, I'm not sure how to go about fixing them exactly if I have any.

Can anyone shed some light on what I should do to safely (as safe as hackintosh gets) update my Windows 7 installation to Windows 10? I can either do an update, or a clean install, I just don't want to start completely over. It has taken me so many hours and hours to get to this point with a working triple boot, and around two dozen formats and reformats of mulltiple bootable usb drives (linux install, clover, windows install, osx install, etc)

I'm looking for guidance, not to be spoonfed. I have learned so much from this website, and want this to be a learning experience as well, but not one that involves starting completely over from scratch with a blank hard drive. Thank you in advance. If I can get this finished, I will write a guide for the other 4540s guys in the same situation, I'm sure there are many of us.

I have a double boot with Yosemite and Windows. I updated to windows 10 following the windows update. After that my computer was booting directly into windows 10. To go back to booting into clover you need to change the name of a file in the EFI folder but I am afraid that I do not remember the name of the file.

I have a double boot with Yosemite and Windows. I updated to windows 10 following the windows update. After that my computer was booting directly into windows 10. To go back to booting into clover you need to change the name of a file in the EFI folder but I am afraid that I do not remember the name of the file.

Yeah... simple update process:

- update to Windows 10, allow it to finish
- if you lose Clover, delete \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw-orig.efi and rename \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi

Is an update a better option than a clean install? If I lose clover, I should be able to get back into mac with my clover usb with no problem, right? Even if windows 10 changes my EFI files around?

Is an update a better option than a clean install?

You must complete an update to qualify for the free update to Windows 10.

After you do the free update and verify activation, you can clean install for free.

If I lose clover, I should be able to get back into mac with my clover usb with no problem, right?

Of course.

I booted to windows 7, started the windows 10 update from my W10 usb drive, everything went great until the reboot.

I get an error while trying to load the windows partition from clover. When I load the windows partition, it tries to load windows setup, fails, and then goes to "starting windows" like normal.

Once into Windows 7, 10 setup pops up and says:

0xC1900101 - 0x20017
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation

Does anyone have a clue what this means? I know the usb is good, as I just used it on my HTPC with no issues. Googling the error code brings you ALL OVER the place, as the error is not particular to a specific windows version, and is apparently caused by all kinds of things. Any help is appreciated.

I booted to windows 7, started the windows 10 update from my W10 usb drive, everything went great until the reboot.

I get an error while trying to load the windows partition from clover. When I load the windows partition, it tries to load windows setup, fails, and then goes to "starting windows" like normal.

Once into Windows 7, 10 setup pops up and says:

0xC1900101 - 0x20017
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation

Does anyone have a clue what this means? I know the usb is good, as I just used it on my HTPC with no issues. Googling the error code brings you ALL OVER the place, as the error is not particular to a specific windows version, and is apparently caused by all kinds of things. Any help is appreciated.

Use Esc+F9 to boot Windows (browse for the EFI file) directly from BIOS instead of going through Clover.

I finished setting up Windows 10, last night. Upon installer reboots, I had to load the Ubuntu loader and load the windows boot manager from there. The installer modifies the EFI files in /EFI/Microsoft/boot and when I loaded the efi file directly, the installer would load, and immediately crash. So I kept loading the Windows boot manager from the Ubuntu loader each time until it was finished installing. I copied new efi files over from /Windows/boot/efi to my efi partition, and after that, Clover loaded Windows 10 just fine.

Linux, OSX, and Windows 10 all load just fine, now. I'm happy with it all. Thank you for all the help.

The installer modifies the EFI files in /EFI/Microsoft/boot and when I loaded the efi file directly, the installer would load, and immediately crash.

Just guessing you were running the incorrect efi file. Correct: bootmgfw.efi.

Linux, OSX, and Windows 10 all load just fine, now. I'm happy with it all. Thank you for all the help.

One way or another.. you got through it. Enjoy...

Just guessing you were running the incorrect efi file. Correct: bootmgfw.efi.

One way or another.. you got through it. Enjoy...

Hi All - Clover running fine for Mac partition - El capitan. Moved from Chameleon to Clover in triple boot (Mac, Win7, Ubuntu).
Added Linux Mint and can still se all OS's - but can only boot mac. Prior to Mint (after Clover install) I was getting boot1 error on the non mac os's. Figured I was close to getting that worked out.

Gparted says the drive is pure GPT (launch Linus with USB to check)

Still have to get windows repair disk - but hesitant to screw with this more until checking here.

The failure screens are standard fair.

By the way I also reinstalled Clover just in case that would fix things.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Fail Screen 1.jpg
    Fail Screen 1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Fail Screen 2.jpg
    Fail Screen 2.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 239
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back