Contribute
Register

Upgrade to Windows 10 Before Clover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@trs96 - already in the latest UEFI BIOS. :) I guess the main questions are:
  1. With my older hardware, will Sierra be a little too much, or is Yosemite/El Capitan the safer upgrade?
  2. With my older hardware, is Clover necessary, or keeping Chimera fine? I feel like with the Mac OS upgrades, Clover seems to be the way to go (but maybe the whole "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" mentality comes into play here).
  3. If I wanted to do the upgrade to Clover booting, with having Windows 7 now (and the intent to do Windows 10), does it make sense to upgrade to Windows 10 with Chimera now or change to Clover with Windows 7 still and then upgrade to Windows 10? (And maybe those two aren't as related as I think they are, or maybe it truly doesn't matter)

Let me know if those questions make sense.

My main concern is that I wanted to do the Windows 10 upgrade (I use both partitions fairly often), and with two recent issues I've been having with my HTPC and Steam Link syncing properly with my computer (to which I've read a few accounts that updating to Windows 10 may help smooth out these issues) is why I went down the rabbit hole of updating my Hackintosh. If I went to upgrade to Windows 10, I wanted to check what I needed to do with Chimera, which is when I learned about Clover (and then doing the updates to a newer Mac OS). If you feel the recommendation is that the hardware may be a little too old and should wait at least two years when support drops and then I should upgrade the hardware, I'm fine with that approach, but as you guys mentioned earlier, I wanted to try to get as much as I can from my Hackintosh as possible. :)
Actually, UEFI BIOS is not required to run any Mac OS at least up through High Sierra. I have had all of them running on my X58A with core i7 CPU using Chameleon, Chimera and Clover installed Legacy Mode.

If you leave CSM disabled in your BIOS Win10 will install Legacy mode with no problem and you can still boot with Chimera any Mac OS up to Yosemite as trs96 mentioned, dual booting with Win10.
If you then remove Chimera and install Clover in Legacy mode you can install and boot El Capitan, Sierra or High Sierra.

Before upgrading to Win10, make a disk image and burn it to a DVD. Then, if you are unhappy with Win10 you can boot the install media and restore from the image and have your Win7 back.

Thanks for the response @Going Bald ; perhaps that is the best approach. I'll wait for my EVGA RMA to return (my GTX 760 they sent me is faulty, so I'm hoping whatever card they send will be better), I'll update my Windows 7 partition to Windows 10 (I actually have a separate HDD so I may just do a Carbon Copy as a backup), upgrade my Mac partition from Mountain Lion to Yosemite (while keeping Chimera), and then take a look from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back