i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

After a massive headache getting my triple set up to working (see link).
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...aming-5-tried-everything.257026/#post-1784397
I'm thinking to bite the bullet and upgrade. At some point I would like to add a 4K screen, which I believe the Sapphire is more than capable off.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071CQ5LRV/?tag=tonymacx86-21

My questions are:
  • Am I able to use my old VGA screens with display port adapters? Would be great if I could use 2 display port to VGA adapters to use my old screens before upgrading to 4k ones.
  • I've read that some cards aren't OOB in High Sierra due to different part number. What needs to be done in 10.13.6 to get this card fully working?
  • Will this be a future proof card (lasting 4+ years with regards to mac compatibility?)
I'm not a big.gamer and will be using it for some light video editing. But defientley want 4k.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
My questions are:
  • Am I able to use my old VGA screens with display port adapters? Would be great if I could use 2 display port to VGA adapters to use my old screens before upgrading to 4k ones.
  • I've read that some cards aren't OOB in High Sierra due to different part number. What needs to be done in 10.13.6 to get this card fully working?
  • Will this be a future proof card (lasting 4+ years with regards to mac compatibility?)
1. What monitors are you using?
2. The card you linked should be natively supported with the new versions of High Sierra like 10.13.6. No kexts needed or anything as far as I've read from Stork.
3. Nobody can really answer this 100%. But I wouldn't lose any sleep, that's a pretty new card and Apple has added native support so things do look clear as of now for the future. On a personal note for you from my own experience, some years ago like around 2014 or 2015, I bought a R9 380 and it was supported completely natively in Yosemite, El Capitan came and screwed everything up and I was never really able to get my 380 working without jumping through a lot of hoops. I don't think this will happen to you since that was a really strange scenario that many people I contacted could not figure out completely only temporary hacks and workarounds... eventually after a week of pulling my hair out I just swapped it for an Nvidia card at the time.

Thanks very much for your reply.

So anything after 10.13.4 the card is supported nativley? No boot flags either?
I'm using two old Samsung 22 inch VGA screen along side a nice curved Samsung HD screen. I don't have the model number to hand. Like I said eventually I will upgrade to 4k when the cash allows for it. Will an active display port to vga adapter work? I just ordered this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003V4TV8O/?tag=tonymacx86-21
Glad the card will have some future compatibility. I don't want to upgrade every couple of years.

Thanks again for your help.

This is confirmed to be working with Mojave as well? Without patching anything? Not too great at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back