Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi Friends,

I currently have a stable ML 10.8.5 system very similar to Stork's Son of Zorro.
I am hoping to upgrade a few components to get the hardware up to 2016 El Cap standards and maximize my system speed.

I am a commercial photographer and cinematographer so my system needs to pretty tight.

Currently I have:
GA z68x ud3h b3
Core i7 2700k
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Vengeance Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2047 MB
Coolermaster Fan
TX 650 Power Supply
Descent Case
SSD System drive

I was going to purchase:
-a new power supply like the RM 650 ( I believe these new haswell systems require smarter PSU??)
-z97x gigabyte mobo (UEFI bios) I would love specific recommendations
-i7 4790 CPU (faster processor)

So in short, I would buy these three components and use everything else from the current system, including the ram and GTX770

Any and all wisdom would be welcome.

Hi Friends,

I currently have a stable ML 10.8.5 system very similar to Stork's Son of Zorro.
I am hoping to upgrade a few components to get the hardware up to 2016 El Cap standards and maximize my system speed.

I am a commercial photographer and cinematographer so my system needs to pretty tight.

Currently I have:
GA z68x ud3h b3
Core i7 2700k
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Vengeance Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2047 MB
Coolermaster Fan
TX 650 Power Supply
Descent Case
SSD System drive

I was going to purchase:
-a new power supply like the RM 650 ( I believe these new haswell systems require smarter PSU??)
-z97x gigabyte mobo (UEFI bios) I would love specific recommendations
-i7 4790 CPU (faster processor)

So in short, I would buy these three components and use everything else from the current system, including the ram and GTX770

Any and all wisdom would be welcome.

Sounds like a good plan. Yes, you probably do need a new PSU. As for the motherboard, you have quite a few choices of Gigabyte Z97X boards that are still readily available:

GA-Z97X-SLI
GA-Z97X-UD3H
and the GA-Z97X-Gaming ___ line

Personally I would stay away from the Gaming line if you use Ethernet - I've heard of a lot of problems with the Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2201 chipset those use. Between the other two I guess I would probably go with the GA-Z97X-UD3H, as I see lots of builds on this site based on that board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back