GA z170x UD5 th
CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
Mac Pro
Hi Friends,

I currently have a stable ML 10.8.5 system very similar to Stork's Son of Zorro.
I am hoping to upgrade a few components to get the hardware up to 2016 El Cap standards and maximize my system speed.

I am a commercial photographer and cinematographer so my system needs to pretty tight.

Currently I have:
GA z68x ud3h b3
Core i7 2700k
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Vengeance Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2047 MB
Coolermaster Fan
TX 650 Power Supply
Descent Case
SSD System drive

I was going to purchase:
-a new power supply like the RM 650 ( I believe these new haswell systems require smarter PSU??)
-z97x gigabyte mobo (UEFI bios) I would love specific recommendations
-i7 4790 CPU (faster processor)

So in short, I would buy these three components and use everything else from the current system, including the ram and GTX770

Any and all wisdom would be welcome.

nobodynose

Motherboard
ASRock Z370M Pro4
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
iBook, iMac, Quadra
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Hi Friends,

I currently have a stable ML 10.8.5 system very similar to Stork's Son of Zorro.
I am hoping to upgrade a few components to get the hardware up to 2016 El Cap standards and maximize my system speed.

I am a commercial photographer and cinematographer so my system needs to pretty tight.

Currently I have:
GA z68x ud3h b3
Core i7 2700k
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Vengeance Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2047 MB
Coolermaster Fan
TX 650 Power Supply
Descent Case
SSD System drive

I was going to purchase:
-a new power supply like the RM 650 ( I believe these new haswell systems require smarter PSU??)
-z97x gigabyte mobo (UEFI bios) I would love specific recommendations
-i7 4790 CPU (faster processor)

So in short, I would buy these three components and use everything else from the current system, including the ram and GTX770

Any and all wisdom would be welcome.
Sounds like a good plan. Yes, you probably do need a new PSU. As for the motherboard, you have quite a few choices of Gigabyte Z97X boards that are still readily available:

GA-Z97X-SLI
GA-Z97X-UD3H
and the GA-Z97X-Gaming ___ line

Personally I would stay away from the Gaming line if you use Ethernet - I've heard of a lot of problems with the Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2201 chipset those use. Between the other two I guess I would probably go with the GA-Z97X-UD3H, as I see lots of builds on this site based on that board.