Contribute
Register

Upgrade Old custom mac for recording.Intel i7 2600 Socket 1155 in a new motherboard Socket 1151

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys.
Sorry for the silly question. I have a hackintosh that I´ve used for music production. Specs below:

Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 Socket 1155 onboard 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
CM Storm Scout Case - 120mm and 2x 140mm Fans Included
Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Blue Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Coole
Be Quiet Straight Power E8 680W Modular PSU - 7x SATA 4x PCI-E
HIS HD 5770 IceQ 5 Turbo Edition 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

I need to upgrade and I was thinking if I could keep the processor and use one of the new motherboards like
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015E3LTKW/?tag=tonymacx86-21
with thunderbolt 3. Socket is different. Is it possible? or if I buy a new motherboard I must have the same processor with same socket?

The plan was use the case, power supply, graphics card and processor. Using more RAM and a new motherboard. Is it possible?
Many thanks!

The processor will not work that way. It is a Sandybridge processor, the board you linked to is Z170 which is Skylake. Different platforms and different chips; they can not be mixed.

If your current (very capable) setup no longer serves your needs, then the basis for an upgrade will be a new motherboard and new CPU. Your case, ram and power supply should be ok to re-use. You will need to check with the manufacturer if your CPU cooler works on socket 1151. Have a search of the forums regarding the 5770, they were highly regarded and used by a lot of folks for quite a while, but I think they have fallen out of favour a bit because of the newer stuff that is now on the market.

If Thunderbolt is essential then you have no option but to upgrade. There are a couple of Thunderbolt add-in cards on the market, but even they need boards that are newer than what you have.

To give yourself an idea of current supported hardware, check out the Buyers Guide. Also do a search of the forums for guides relating to Thunderbolt enabled rigs, you will see just what hardware others are using and how they have set up their systems.

Also it may help if you have an idea of your budget.

Finally and briefly, you dont mention mass storage. If you have an SSD or plan to buy one then great. If you are using mechanical spinning HDD's, these can create a bottleneck on a newer system and make it feel very sluggish.

:thumbup:

Thanks so much for your reply.
I've been reading about compatibility with thinderbolt and it can be done so I may go for that.
My current system still works very well after nearly 6 years of recording but I can tell it's going to need a boost soon.
Thunderbolt is not 100% necessary right now but it may be in the next few months.
I can always increase RAM to 32 Gb for now and wait for a bit.
I feel the need of building something new too :)
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back