Mac
  1. Mac Pro
My specs:
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DD
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD5 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked 2048MB
HD: Samsung 840 Pro

I built my hackintosh around 2014 using a few guides and it's been pretty solid ever since; I'm thinking about upgrading it but not exactly sure where to start or if it'd be beneficial at this point. I believe I used Clover back then and keep seeing OpenCore now. Is it worth upgrading at all or should I just outright build a new one? If so, what's the latest version my hardware specs can reach? Do I need to copy over any kexts or anything? Thanks in advance.

what's the latest version my hardware specs can reach? Do I need to copy over any kexts or anything?
The 770 still has support in Big Sur so that would be the best place to end up. Switch to OpenCore and use iMac15,1 SMBIOS. That is the best fit for your hardware. If you are still on El Capitan, clean install Big Sur with an OpenCore based USB installer, to a new SSD. That way your old 840 Pro is your backup before you upgrade.

If you use just the HD4600 iGPU then Monterey is possible but with a newer SMBIOS like Macmini7,1 or iMac17,1.

The 770 still has support in Big Sur so that would be the best place to end up. Switch to OpenCore and use iMac15,1 SMBIOS. That is the best fit for your hardware. If you are still on El Capitan, clean install Big Sur with an OpenCore based USB installer, to a new SSD. That way your old 840 Pro is your backup before you upgrade.

If you use just the HD4600 iGPU then Monterey is possible but with a newer SMBIOS like Macmini7,1 or iMac17,1.
Sorry for the noob question. But will using iMac15,1 SMBIOS all I need to do using OC? Or will I have to enable different kexts and what not like back in the day? Asking so I can gather all that before shifting over. Thanks.

all I need to do using OC? Or will I have to enable different kexts and what not like back in the day?
There is no Multi or Unibeast to use with Big Sur. There are still Catalina versions if you want to go that route. It makes more sense to use OC if you want to upgrade as far as possible to Big Sur.

You would need to follow this OC guide if you go the OpenCore Big Sur route.

Will I need to do USB mapping you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back