Intel i5-6500
Graphics
ASUS GTX970 Strix
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

I would like some advice on my next upgrade, I appreciate any help you can give me.

I currently have a Gigabyte PH-67-DS3-B3 with an i5-2500, and this works perfectly currently with El Capitan, no complaints.

BUT since this is now a 4-5-year old machine, I would like to upgrade. I don't play games, only internet, downloads, iTunes, Office 365 (a lot) and Photos management (no Photoshop or like).

I am looking at getting a Gigabyte 97-series motherboard with potentially an i3-4360/4370. I honestly don't need anything better processorwise than the current i5-2500, so that is why I was thinking of getting the top i3 model.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for the input!

Hi All,

I would like some advice on my next upgrade, I appreciate any help you can give me.

I currently have a Gigabyte PH-67-DS3-B3 with an i5-2500, and this works perfectly currently with El Capitan, no complaints.

BUT since this is now a 4-5-year old machine, I would like to upgrade. I don't play games, only internet, downloads, iTunes, Office 365 (a lot) and Photos management (no Photoshop or like).

I am looking at getting a Gigabyte 97-series motherboard with potentially an i3-4360/4370. I honestly don't need anything better processorwise than the current i5-2500, so that is why I was thinking of getting the top i3 model.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for the input!

I think you're on the right track - Haswell runs circles around Sandy Bridge, so going from an i5 to an i3 makes sense for cost savings.

If you want a 9-series motherboard, you better move pretty fast; it's shocking how quickly they're disappearing from the marketplace!

I think you're on the right track - Haswell runs circles around Sandy Bridge, so going from an i5 to an i3 makes sense for cost savings.

If you want a 9-series motherboard, you better move pretty fast; it's shocking how quickly they're disappearing from the marketplace!

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. And the motherboard price is not bad, the top of the recommended GB mobo from the buying advice section is "only" 130EUR...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back