Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a good working system running on an MSI RX 580. I purchased a PowerColor Vega 64 (non-red dragon) and I’m trying to swap them out.

The only change I made was swapping the video cards. when I boot up with the Vega 64, the OS hangs at a black screen with white apple logo. I gave it 20 min and still stuck. I havent made any bios changes and I even went through and verified the ones I have set, nothing has changed or reset. I do have PCIE graphics as my main with th iGPU multi monitor enabled and 64m vram set in the BIOS. I have tried with a single displayport monitor attached as well as all 3 and no difference.

At the clover menu, clover does see the Vega 64 installed, I do not have inject ATI or Radeon DeInit enabled. The Vega 64 lights up and the fan spins. I have also tried a single double 8pin power cable and two seperate 8pin power cables, and both individually power up the RX 580.

If I swap the RX 580 back in, I boot up just fine all the way to the mac desktop, no issues. I was under the impression, I didn't need any additional clover settings or kexts for the Vega 64. I am running Whatevergreen (1.3.3) and Lilu (1.3.8), both located in EFI/Clover/kexts/other.

I am running 10.14.6 by the way.

Update: 10/24/19 8:20pm - Still not working
I moved the Vega 64 card to my sons hackintosh and I experience the same issue, which I kind of expected, since his is the same mobo and macOS version I am running.

I have a 650 watt power supply, which I think should be enough juice to run my system and the Vega 64. I did try a second power supply and it did not change things.

I believe the Vega 64 card is good, since I do get video out of it and can see the clover screen and interact with it.

So I think this is a clover configuration issue, but not sure what yet.

Update: 10/24/19 9:50pm - Still not working
I removed the DSDT im using for USB, as the errors in verbose mode are are indcating something with the ACPI, but I still see those errors.

I also tried enableing 4G Decoding in the BIOS, no effect. And I then disabled the iGPU in the bios and still no effect.

Update: 10/25/19 2:30pm - Still not working
I enabled PlugInType in Clover>ACPI.
I experiemented with some BIOS settings,
XMP to Auto (was XMP1)
Disabled FastBoot
Toggled 4G Decoding, tried both on and off, I have it off again.
I tried using the VegaGraphicsFixup.kext and also the VGTab_64.kext, seperately and together with no effect.
I am building a win10 usb installer and will try installing win10 on an extra SSD to see if the card works under win10.

Update: 10/25/19 9:05pm - still not working
When trying to install win10 on a spare SSD, I screwed up and formatted my boot nvme drive, so I had to reinstall mojave from scratch (my backup cloned drive for macOS is the spare SSD I was going to use for win10).

Also, win10 wouldn't install on that drive or the other SSD I was intending to install it on. It kept erroring out, so my USB win10 installer could be bad, or the iso i started from or who knows. I may try loading win10 again, however, through all of this, I had a good video signal through the Vega 64 when I have it installed, it just won't complete the boot into macOS. So I really think the Vega 64 itself is working.

When reinstalling mojave 10.14.6, I tried initially with the Vega 64 installed, but it wouldn't boot to the mojave installer, so I installed with the RX 580 again. A good thing from the reinstall is I have a cleaner config.plist now.

Next, I tried updating the BIOS, I did apply the ACPI patch from @mattystonnie to clover and this time it worked and I am able to boot up with the latest BIOS. But the new BIOS didn't correct the issue with the Vega 64.

Other things I tried, changing the SMBIOS to iMacPro 1.1, 19.2 and 19.1, all with no effect.

I am out of things to try, really frustrated that this isn't working.

Update: 10/27/19 10:35pm - nope
So I have a brand new MSI RX Vega 56 Air Boost, delivered this afternoon. I popped it in, in place of the RX 580 and this Vega 56 does the same thing as the PowerColor Vega 64 does. It hangs on boot, after loading the ACPI stuff.

I really doubt the Vega 56 card is bad too. So I believe I have something wrong in my BIOS settings or I am missing something in my clover configuration. I will review my BIOS settings in a few minutes and post them. My latest EFI folder is already attached.

I've read through a bunch of other threads and I don't see where any special kexts are needed other than lilu and whatevergreen; and the VGTab output kext might be needed for quiet the fans.

Is there some extra clover setting I am missing? A BIOS setting?

It still seems really strange to me that the RX 580 just works and neither Vega card works past loading the ACPI stuff.

@pastrychef and @MacMan do you guys have any ideas?

Attachments

• 02D10034-1BBA-4B7D-A12F-01E626EE6B1C.jpeg
    02D10034-1BBA-4B7D-A12F-01E626EE6B1C.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 66
  • EFI.zip
    16.9 MB · Views: 72
  • 8B99AB00-0DEB-4B46-9BF1-67EB65B98246.jpeg
    8B99AB00-0DEB-4B46-9BF1-67EB65B98246.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I have a good working system running on an MSI RX 580. I purchased a PowerColor Vega 64 (non-red dragon) and I’m trying to swap them out.

The only change I made was swapping the video cards. when I boot up with the Vega 64, the OS hangs at a black screen with white apple logo. I gave it 20 min and still stuck. I havent made any bios changes and I even went through and verified the ones I have set, nothing has changed or reset. I do have PCIE graphics as my main with th iGPU multi monitor enabled and 64m vram set in the BIOS. I have tried with a single displayport monitor attached as well as all 3 and no difference.

At the clover menu, clover does see the Vega 64 installed, I do not have inject ATI or Radeon DeInit enabled. The Vega 64 lights up and the fan spins. I have also tried a single double 8pin power cable and two seperate 8pin power cables, and both individually power up the RX 580.

If I swap the RX 580 back in, I boot up just fine all the way to the mac desktop, no issues. I was under the impression, I didn't need any additional clover settings or kexts for the Vega 64. I am running Whatevergreen (1.3.3) and Lilu (1.3.8), both located in EFI/Clover/kexts/other.

I am running 10.14.6 by the way.

Update: 10/24/19 8:20pm - Still not working
I moved the Vega 64 card to my sons hackintosh and I experience the same issue, which I kind of expected, since his is the same mobo and macOS version I am running.

I have a 650 watt power supply, which I think should be enough juice to run my system and the Vega 64. I did try a second power supply and it did not change things.

I believe the Vega 64 card is good, since I do get video out of it and can see the clover screen and interact with it.

So I think this is a clover configuration issue, but not sure what yet.

Update: 10/24/19 9:50pm - Still not working
I removed the DSDT im using for USB, as the errors in verbose mode are are indcating something with the ACPI, but I still see those errors.

I also tried enableing 4G Decoding in the BIOS, no effect. And I then disabled the iGPU in the bios and still no effect.

Update: 10/25/19 2:30pm - Still not working
I enabled PlugInType in Clover>ACPI.
I experiemented with some BIOS settings,
XMP to Auto (was XMP1)
Disabled FastBoot
Toggled 4G Decoding, tried both on and off, I have it off again.
I tried using the VegaGraphicsFixup.kext and also the VGTab_64.kext, seperately and together with no effect.
I am building a win10 usb installer and will try installing win10 on an extra SSD to see if the card works under win10.

Update: 10/25/19 9:05pm - still not working
When trying to install win10 on a spare SSD, I screwed up and formatted my boot nvme drive, so I had to reinstall mojave from scratch (my backup cloned drive for macOS is the spare SSD I was going to use for win10).

Also, win10 wouldn't install on that drive or the other SSD I was intending to install it on. It kept erroring out, so my USB win10 installer could be bad, or the iso i started from or who knows. I may try loading win10 again, however, through all of this, I had a good video signal through the Vega 64 when I have it installed, it just won't complete the boot into macOS. So I really think the Vega 64 itself is working.

When reinstalling mojave 10.14.6, I tried initially with the Vega 64 installed, but it wouldn't boot to the mojave installer, so I installed with the RX 580 again. A good thing from the reinstall is I have a cleaner config.plist now.

Next, I tried updating the BIOS, I did apply the ACPI patch from @mattystonnie to clover and this time it worked and I am able to boot up with the latest BIOS. But the new BIOS didn't correct the issue with the Vega 64.

Other things I tried, changing the SMBIOS to iMacPro 1.1, 19.2 and 19.1, all with no effect.

I am out of things to try, really frustrated that this isn't working.

Update: 10/27/19 10:35pm - nope
So I have a brand new MSI RX Vega 56 Air Boost, delivered this afternoon. I popped it in, in place of the RX 580 and this Vega 56 does the same thing as the PowerColor Vega 64 does. It hangs on boot, after loading the ACPI stuff.

I really doubt the Vega 56 card is bad too. So I believe I have something wrong in my BIOS settings or I am missing something in my clover configuration. I will review my BIOS settings in a few minutes and post them. My latest EFI folder is already attached.

I've read through a bunch of other threads and I don't see where any special kexts are needed other than lilu and whatevergreen; and the VGTab output kext might be needed for quiet the fans.

Is there some extra clover setting I am missing? A BIOS setting?

It still seems really strange to me that the RX 580 just works and neither Vega card works past loading the ACPI stuff.

@pastrychef and @MacMan do you guys have any ideas?

Make backups of everything.
Please try this EFI.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17 MB · Views: 97
I am running a similar board to you, just the mATX version. You have a lot of the ACPI "fixes" checked. I have none. One of these is almost guaranteed to be causing the issue. I attached my config here if you want to take a peek. I am also using a 650 watt power supply with no issues. These Vega's don't start gobbling up power until you stress them. Also, Whatevergreen replaces all of the "fixup" kexts and VGtab is no longer necessary since they overhauled the drivers. If you are fully updated on Mojave or Catalina you shouldn't have any issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have my very similar setup pretty solid right now.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
[deleted]

Last edited:
Make backups of everything.
Please try this EFI.

@pastrychef you are amazing, thank you. Your EFI works and I am booted up on the Vega 64 now. From looking at the EFI you provided, it seems like I had several ACPI fixes enabled that I didn't need and that was causing the Vega to not initialize and boot up?

Under Devices>Properties, I had AAPL.ig-platform-id 0300983E to enable the iGPU in headless mode, your EFI doesn't have that. Do I still need it? I noticed under System Report>Graphics/Displays it now shows the UHD 630 iGPU and the Vega 64 both listed, whereas before with the ig-platform-id and the RX 580, I only saw the RX 580 listed.

I am seeing some odd graphics glitches occasionally across the screen, it's like a ribbon across the screen horizontally every once in a while, it just flashes and is gone. It's intermittent. Any idea what I can look at, that might be causing it?

@pastrychef you are amazing, thank you. Your EFI works and I am booted up on the Vega 64 now. From looking at the EFI you provided, it seems like I had several ACPI fixes enabled that I didn't need and that was causing the Vega to not initialize and boot up?

Under Devices>Properties, I had AAPL.ig-platform-id 0300983E to enable the iGPU in headless mode, your EFI doesn't have that. Do I still need it? I noticed under System Report>Graphics/Displays it now shows the UHD 630 iGPU and the Vega 64 both listed, whereas before with the ig-platform-id and the RX 580, I only saw the RX 580 listed.

I am seeing some odd graphics glitches occasionally across the screen, it's like a ribbon across the screen horizontally every once in a while, it just flashes and is gone. It's intermittent. Any idea what I can look at, that might be causing it?

I didn't update your kexts or Clover. Try updating them to the latest versions.

In System Information > Displays, you should not be seeing the IGPU. Make sure that in BIOS, you set primary display to your Vega. Make sure that your monitor(s) are only connected to the Vega. You can also try toggling CSM in BIOS to see which setting works best for your system.

config.plist > Devices > Properties isn't really needed anymore with later versions of Mojave and later versions of Clover. The system will automatically detect the presence of dGPU and configure IGPU to be headless. I prefer doing it this way. If you need to run older versions of macOS or if System Information > Displays continues to show your IGPU, you should it back.

I don't know why you are seeing graphical glitches. I know that glitches appeared during boot with older versions of WhateverGreen, but newer versions fixed that.

Thanks again. I have all the latest versions of the kexts I am running. I do not have anything connected to the mobo hdmi or display port connections and the iGPU is enabled in BIOS. I added the iGPU back in under properties, it's not showing in System Information anymore, and it appears to be working in headless mode again; VideoProc shows it again and shows I am good for H.264 and HEVC.

I will research and troubleshoot the graphics glitches separately, it seems to only be happening on one of my screens.

Thanks again. I have all the latest versions of the kexts I am running. I do not have anything connected to the mobo hdmi or display port connections and the iGPU is enabled in BIOS. I added the iGPU back in under properties, it's not showing in System Information anymore, and it appears to be working in headless mode again; VideoProc shows it again and shows I am good for H.264 and HEVC.

I will research and troubleshoot the graphics glitches separately, it seems to only be happening on one of my screens.

Under Catalina I have gotten better performance by disabling the iGPU. Either the OS or whatevergreen makes it act more like an iMac Pro and use the Vega for things like exporting in Final Cut instead of using quick sync. I am using the iMac19,1 smbios.

Hi, I come from a configuration with Catalina latest version and RX 580 with SMBIOS MacPro 1.1. Everything works except Sidecar. Now I am replacing the RX580 with the V56. Will I have to make changes to my configuration or will it be enough to replace the old card with the new one, and will it be recognized?
Thanks

Hi, I come from a configuration with Catalina latest version and RX 580 with SMBIOS MacPro 1.1. Everything works except Sidecar. Now I am replacing the RX580 with the V56. Will I have to make changes to my configuration or will it be enough to replace the old card with the new one, and will it be recognized?
Thanks

If you are using my EFI, you don't have to make any configuration changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back