Nvidia 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,

i'm running a Hackintosh since 5-6 years now without many problems. OSX is my productive OS where I do most of my work and studies. I do use Windows 10 on a seperate SDD as a gaming OS. My trusty AMD 5870 powered my gaming for the last years but todays games are just to demanding for it now. After some research i've decided to treat myself with a 1070 (even if it doesn't work with OSX yet).

I only use OSX for word processors and sometimes some light photo editing. I should be fine with the iGPU until the driver issue is solved in the next months.

My question: How can I tell my chameleon boot loader to please use the iGPU in OSX?
I did found this boot option, but that looks more like the option "graphicenabler=yes" and not so much like a preset for the iGPU instead of the graphics card.
IGPEnabler=Yes
This turns IGP Enabler on/off (you can set "Yes" to "No"). IGP Enabler is a feature similar to Graphics Enabler that helps Mac OS X work better with your integrated graphics. While Graphics Enabler will already do this normally, if you need to turn off Graphics Enabler for some reason but want to keep your integrated graphics working, use this boot flag. Specifically, this boot flag can be useful if you want to use an NVIDIA 600 or 700 series card in conjunction with your integrated graphics

Btw, i'm running Yosemite atm and planning to skip Sierra.

Thanks in advance.

From our graphics troubleshooting guide:

3. Intel HD

Basic Setup
Intel HD drivers are always included in OS X. You'll always find the most recent drivers in the latest OS X release, there's no other official place to download them.
To load the drivers, you have to tell your bootloader to inject the necessary IOReg entries for your graphics card. To do this, configure your bootloader as follows:

Clover: InjectIntel=True
Chimera/Chameleon: IGPEnabler=Yes

This will inject a matching "ig-platform-id" into the IORegistry, so the driver should load giving you full acceleration. On brand-new systems (e.g. Skylake, as of today) this automatism might fail, so you'll have to supply a correct value manually.
HD 3000 systems need a special configuration, which is available in Multibeast.

Obviously you'll have to connect your display to your motherboard instead of your graphics card.

Important note regarding the 1070: If Nvidia ever releases WebDrivers for Pascal, you'll most likely need macOS Sierra. Yosemite won't receive any upgrades and I highly doubt El Capitan will either.

He thanks,

Obviously you'll have to connect your display to your motherboard instead of your graphics card.
I did that of course, i've connected my monitor with a HDMI cable to the mainboard HDMI output. I also installed the mentioned "HD 3000 systems need a special configuration, which is available in Multibeast." before posting here. It doesn't matter if I type in at start IGPEnabler=Yes or not, the OS uses the 5870 as a graphic card. If I switch to my HDMI input I just get a blank screen. The question is how I can tell it permanently to use only the iGPU of my i5 2500k.

P.S.: I'm just planning to skip Mountain Lion and upgrade directly to macOS Sierra after release.

Ah, that's probably the reason. I didn't know I have to to that. So if I want to switch between Windows and OSX I always have to go into the UEFI an switch primary display as well?.. bummer

Your GTX 1070 should work regardless of the UEFI setting, only your iGPU has to be primary to work.

Personally I wouldn't install unsupported hardware if I was serious about the OS X side of my hackintosh though. The GTX 980Ti is slightly inferior as "windows gaming card", but way better for usage in a hackintosh.

Your GTX 1070 should work regardless of the UEFI setting, only your iGPU has to be primary to work.

Hi, thanks for the help. It works now for me as intended. I do use the 1070 in Windows and the iGPU Intel 3000 in OSX. After my upgrade to Sierra if Nvidia releases drivers I will switch to the 1070 in OSX as well. And of course you're right. The 980 TI is much more usable in OSX atm, but I only upgrade my GPUs every five years or so and because of that I wanted the most recent one. Also, I do use for 80% of my work my 12" Macbook. So I can live with the current solution quite comfortably. But of course you're right. If it would be you main computer you should go for the most compatible build possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back