Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
hey there!
any ideas on throwing away the guts from the old macmini to install something more powerful? can't believe small motherboard companies haven't seized this opportunity.

I went through a period, years ago, of talking about it and people dismissing the idea (back then, my only options were to run it as a Linux box, as the very low spec motherboards available couldn't run OS X) but since then there are the NUC computers, the Gigabyte Brix computers, all with tiny motherboards with compatible parts. What has put me off is the price to performance ratio. On one hand, Apple's upgrade of the new Mac Minis has left people complaining about the CPU performance of the new models compared to the 2012 models. I thought frustrated people would be clamouring to gut their old Mac Minis and put faster performing innards in them from NUC computers. I started looking at the more powerful Brix models with Iris HD 5200 graphics.

They are about an inch taller than our old G4 Mac Mini cases. I don't have measurements for the internals but they have a large heat sink with a fairly large slot fan on top. And they are noisy under load. I mean, comically noisy, to my mind. To me, that goes against the whole ethos of owning a Mac Mini or a Mac, for that matter, you want it to be whisper quiet. Also, you need to drill a lot of holes in the old Mini case to accommodate the air in and air out flow.

That leaves us with the lesser NUC models, as I see it; the i5 model that I was looking at seemed to have more powerful graphics that the Brix rival, though I haven't looked into it for a couple of months, so perhaps that has changed. The cost to performance ratio is poor, though, if absolute performance versus a desktop build matters to people. To me, it does matter, otherwise I am spending a lot of time phaffing around, making custom mounts for a basic home cinema box that I don't feel a great need for.

Perhaps the best save-money compromise is to make an i3 model, as the Celeron models still won't work, as far as I know, there isn't a graphics driver for them and I doubt ever will be, unless you want to turn your G4 Mac Mini into a Linux Elementary box, say, and go for that whole clean OS look that we Mac users like. I am still seriously considering doing this (i3, not Celeron and Linux, though that's plan B) but time is a consideration and it would be helpful if I could find people who already done what we want to do. I don't have a tool shop, so any pieces of metal I buy to make an I/O at the the back, which I guess I would then spray white or polish for many hours to a mirror finish, I am going to be drilling them out and then filing manually; it would be nice to have the measurements for that in advance. Other considerations, do I fit a Blu-ray reader and which are the quietest in operation? It needs to be slot loading. Ages ago, I was looking at a Panasonic blu-ray slot-loading model but it was more money than I wanted to spend.

I am waffling away in the above more in hope than expectation that others have gutted their old PowerPC Minis and upgraded with the internals of the Intel NUC units. If anyone has any build links they would like to share, that would be wonderful. It is a pitiful thing to have an old Mac Mini sitting in a cupboard, gathering dust. It is such a classic design. I would prefer not to drill holes in the case, if possible, to make the mod reversible.

I am writing from the UK and, at the moment, the cheapest I can make an i3 model is around £318 for an 8GB build with a 120GB mSATA card.

Intel NUC Ultra Compact Barebone PC (Core i3 4010U, 1x mSATA, 2x SO-DIMM DDR3L, 2x USB 3.0, Mini … £209.98

The disappointing thing about that CPU is it's aimed squarely at the low powered ultrabook laptop market, that though it has four threads the processor base frequency is a very modest 1.7 GHz. Graphics are HD 4400, perfectly adequate for most media uses but, again, not something for power user.

Drive - e.g Crucial CT120M500SSD3 120GB M500 mSATA 6Gb/s £52.30

Memory - e.g Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600 MT/s CL11 SODIMM 204 Pin 1.35V/1.5V Module £54.44

That's without a blu-ray or DVD writer or card reader.

currently there are core duo mac minis in my family, which are still used for Skype and web-surfing, and although they are sluggish, generally speaking they seem almost enough at the current moment. I guess i3 would be faster than core 2 duo and core duo.
I also hate watching the old g4 dusting in the corner, but is is painfully slow. I haven't checked its design (if the back plane can be removed and printed out on a 3d printer). I don't like the idea of purchasing the whole nuc and throwing away its case. may be there are simply nuc motherboards for sale (which should also be cheaper). will they support macos?

In the case of the i5-4250 (dual core) NUC, the motherboard is the D54250WYB, which comes in around £278, if you can find it anywhere. The only place I could find it in stock was on ebay, that price includes UK shipping. I noticed on Amazon it's substantially more than that at £302.97, despite being ordered in units of 10. Also, that motherboard comes without case and power supply. The price of the bare bones NUC BOXD54250WYK3 that uses that motherboard is around £280 on Amazon.

Things are marginally less discouraging for i3 motherboard, you save around £8 on ebay, assuming you were otherwise able to pick up the NUC Core i3 4010U D34010WYK computer for £209, Amazon have that computer at that price but it's marked as 'None in stock'; it usually sells on Amazon from around £230. Again, though, if you buy just the motherboard, you would need to buy a power supply. As far as I can see, neither motherboard comes with a power supply. It's frustrating that they aren't cheaper. I haven't looked into the price of the motherboards in the Gigabyte Brix units, because their cheapest i5 dual core model, last time I looked, doesn't come with the better HD 5000 graphics in the NUC model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back