Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi!

Since macOS Mojave is essentially ready for public announcement/access. When it becomes available, is it safe to update? I'm currently running macOS High Sierra (v. 10.13.6) with the following specs:

CPU: i7 6700K
RAM: 16GB of DDR4
GPU: GTX 970
MOBO: Asus Z170-A

Would I update when prompted from the App Store?

Please let me know,
Richard

Since you'll need Nvidia webdriver for the GTX 970 you should wait until Nvidia releases drivers compatible with Mojave

What about those of us with a supported Radeon card?

@rockdawg I just upgraded my Skylake Radeon RX 580 build to Mojave 18A389 over the weekend. It went as smooth as butter. After the upgrade and extensive testing I can report that everything that I was able to test thoroughly is still working as before under High Sierra12.13.6. On completion of the upgrade I had to also upgrade Little Snitch to a version that supports Mojave 10.14. I also updated Bombich's CCC following a prompt that recommended to do so. That was essentially it. One and only one issue that I know of still needs attention is the Wacom Intuos Pro driver, the touch gestures are broken however the pen is working accurately as before. Now I am waiting for the final Mojave release to get that installed.
Through all the many years of hacking, starting from Snow Leopard, this was the least troublesome ever.
Tip: If you are using Lilu and Whatevergreen, for among others, not being trapped by the black scree syndrome, I suggest that you place copies of these into the other folder of your Mojave USB install stick. Initially I was caught by the black screen because I forgot about this phenomenon, in the end it caused me no undue delays and or headaches. Attached some screenshots taken with the new "Screenshot" utility which could not be made easier to use. Overall Apple did a sterling job.

Greetings

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-09-24 at 1.31.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-09-24 at 1.31.39 PM.png
    239 KB · Views: 514
  • Screenshot 2018-09-24 at 1.32.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-09-24 at 1.32.50 PM.png
    195 KB · Views: 532
  • Screenshot 2018-09-24 at 1.30.21 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-09-24 at 1.30.21 PM.png
    242.1 KB · Views: 451
Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback.
Hi @rockdawg After just one hour after my last message at 9.19 pm I am now on the release/final version 18A391 of Mojave. This update involved downloading Mojave 18A391 updating from 18A389 to 18A391 and writing this post. It confirms my earlier sentiments that Apple has done a sterling job in upgrading their macOS this time around. A screenshot is attached.
Happy hacking.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-09-24 at 10.17.21 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-09-24 at 10.17.21 PM.png
    246.2 KB · Views: 199
@rockdawg I just upgraded my Skylake Radeon RX 580 build to Mojave 18A389 over the weekend. It went as smooth as butter. After the upgrade and extensive testing I can report that everything that I was able to test thoroughly is still working as before under High Sierra12.13.6. On completion of the upgrade I had to also upgrade Little Snitch to a version that supports Mojave 10.14. I also updated Bombich's CCC following a prompt that recommended to do so. That was essentially it. One and only one issue that I know of still needs attention is the Wacom Intuos Pro driver, the touch gestures are broken however the pen is working accurately as before. Now I am waiting for the final Mojave release to get that installed.
Through all the many years of hacking, starting from Snow Leopard, this was the least troublesome ever.
Tip: If you are using Lilu and Whatevergreen, for among others, not being trapped by the black scree syndrome, I suggest that you place copies of these into the other folder of your Mojave USB install stick. Initially I was caught by the black screen because I forgot about this phenomenon, in the end it caused me no undue delays and or headaches. Attached some screenshots taken with the new "Screenshot" utility which could not be made easier to use. Overall Apple did a sterling job.

Greetings

Can you elaborate on the procedure and problem mentioned relative to "black screen"? I have Radeon RX 580, works great on 10.13.5 and was also running alternate boot of Mojave beta, but had a restart then black screen (cursor displayed only) issues - 2 4k displays, both connected to DisplayPort. I have no issue with 10.13, and am running lilu and Whatevergreen - not sure actually that I need them. Just wanted to know what are the causes and solutions for the "black screen" issue you mention?

Can you elaborate on the procedure and problem mentioned relative to "black screen"? I have Radeon RX 580, works great on 10.13.5 and was also running alternate boot of Mojave beta, but had a restart then black screen (cursor displayed only) issues - 2 4k displays, both connected to DisplayPort. I have no issue with 10.13, and am running lilu and Whatevergreen - not sure actually that I need them. Just wanted to know what are the causes and solutions for the "black screen" issue you mention?
I am sorry that I can really not be of assistance with the problems you seem to encounter as my hardware (mobo) differs substantially from yours.
Sorry for that.
Edit
@cmc850 I paid great attention to make sure that my 10.13.6 build was working the way it should, that included sleep,USB stuff, audio, iPad/iPhone charging, PM and whatever you can think of. I figured that an upgrade to Mojave, under those conditions should be straight sailing and it proved to be exactly that. Through a lot of reading I believe that I discovered that Apple was not involved in major low level updates for the Mojave incarnation, but rather involved in streamlining, beautifying and app enhancement things. My assumption seems to have paid off since I am now on 18A391 without the burden of trying to invent the wheel from scratch again.

Last edited:
@Henties I have 18A389, but software update says I am up to date. Did you downloaded the full Mojave installer from the app store? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back