CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 CPU
Graphics
EVGA Geforce GTX750TI SC
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Hey guys,
Years ago I followed a guide on this forum to set up my main work computer. I am not much of a technical person or really an enthusiast to be honest. I went the hackintosh route because I didn't have the funds available for a legit mac. This machine has served me well for the last few years and without issue.

I am now way behind in OSX version. Still on El Capitan and I need to run some software on my machine that doesn't support the older OS.

My question is, is my current hardware compatible with the latest OSX version. If so, am I safe to just follow the Catalina installation guide? Forgive my ignorance I am just out of the loop here.

I am running:
Intel I7 4790K
Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H MATX board
Samsung 120gb SSD
EVGA Geforce GTX750TI SC
Crucial Ballistix 32gb Ram

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey guys,
Years ago I followed a guide on this forum to set up my main work computer. I am not much of a technical person or really an enthusiast to be honest. I went the hackintosh route because I didn't have the funds available for a legit mac. This machine has served me well for the last few years and without issue.

I am now way behind in OSX version. Still on El Capitan and I need to run some software on my machine that doesn't support the older OS.

My question is, is my current hardware compatible with the latest OSX version. If so, am I safe to just follow the Catalina installation guide? Forgive my ignorance I am just out of the loop here.

I am running:
Intel I7 4790K
Samsung 120gb SSD
EVGA Geforce GTX750TI SC

Thanks!

Hi there.

From your description of components, your graphics-card would not be compatible for any version of macOS after High Sierra.

There are two ways around this, 1) remove the GPU and run your i7's iGPU. However bear in mind this is not (I believe) compatible with the forthcoming macOS Big Sur. 2) fit a commonly used AMD GPU. There are several to choose from in the RX and Vega ranges.

Our build guides and support forums make these clear :thumbup:

Hey guys,

I am running:
Intel I7 4790K
Samsung 120gb SSD
EVGA Geforce GTX750TI SC

Thanks!
Did you have succes with this new build on Hight Sierra? Im about to do the same with a fresh install and my set up is the same as yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back