i9-9900K @ 5GHz (all cores) with Noctua NH-D15
Graphics
UHD 630 | Sapphire Radeon RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi. I'm preparing to update Mojave to Catalina, and wanted to update kexts and clover to latest version. It's my first build (installed everything around July) and from that time didn't touched anything, as it was working correctly.
I've read some guides, but just to be safe, I want to confirm few things:

1. In EFI > CLOVER > kexts > Other I have FakeSMC, Lilu, USBInjectAll, WhateverGreen - those are also in /Library/Extensions.
I can download and install latest version of those using Hackintool (tools > install kexts), then rebuild cache (tools > Rebuild...). After that, I need to copy those updated ones from /Library/Extensions to EFI, to have same versions in both locations. Is that correct?

2. Updating clover: I'm planing to use Clover Configurator. Just go to "Install/Update Clover", select latest version as 'package' and update.
Does the update keep all the settings from original installation? Which files should I backup "just in case", if I will need to reverse changes? Can I just backup whole EFI partition, or there are some other files that I need to backup?

Thanks in advance :)

@jarekd,

Some things to be aware of :-

1. Latest versions of Clover have a new folder structure for the EFI drivers, see this post for more info :-

2. Catalina divides the macOS drive in to a System drive which is Read Only by default and a Data drive.
To install/ update kexts into /L/E you need to disable gate keeper and flag the system drive as R/W/
See the kext guide for more info :-

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey, thanks for reply and warnings, but ... I was impatient and just backup everything and went with updates :D

1. As for the Clover, it correctly moved drivers from UEFI64 to new folder (drivers > UEFI) by itself, leaving old one in place. As it was suggested there, I removed all non essential kexts from kexts > Other.

2. About Catalina - do you know, if I can enable GateKeeper back after installing kexts? If not, I think I will hold on with updating for now, prefer to have it enabled.

Last edited:
2. About Catalina - do you know, if I can enable GateKeeper back after installing kexts? If not, I think I will hold on with updating for now, prefer to have it enabled.

@jarekd,

You only need to disable Gatekeeper and flag the system drive as Read/Write to install the kexts in /L/E.
Gatekeeper is re-enabled and the system drive flagged as Read-Only automatically by MacOS on the next reboot.

Cheers
Jay

I used to keep my Kexts in /L/E but recently while installing Catalina decided to move kexts to /Clover to make whole process easier to maintain. People have strong opinion about not to do this but it worked for me.

Just installed fresh copy of Catalina on new SSD, leaving Mojave on separate one .... I've kept kext in /L/E - it's easy with Hackintool

@jarekd,

I upgraded a clone of my Mojave desktop system to the Catalina release version yesterday (for testing purposes), and can also confirm that kext's installed in /L/E work as before. As you say using Hackintool makes the process easy and painless.

Cheers
Jay

Hey this may be a little off topic but I recently updated to Catalina from Mojave. I forgot to update my whatevergreen kext and I am hung up 3/4 on install. Is there a way to update the kext from the Clover bootloader? Or access and replace files in the EFI from the Clover bootloader? I have a copy of my EFI with corrected kexts on a USB. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back