Contribute
Register

[Solved] Updating from Yosemite to High Sierra unable to boot after working for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the help. As you weren’t responding yesterday, I got impatient and tried to install High Sierra on my new SSD, thinking it’d be easier and that I might be able to get back some files from the corrupted one. I used the Vanilla Guide from ****** (https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh...ings_of_a_hackintosher_a_sorta_brief_vanilla/) but got stuck because I don’t understand how to use it in combination with RehabMan’s guide to avoid APFS conversion.

So I reverted the BIOS settings to optimized defaults and tweaked it as closely as possible from the Vanilla Guide, but this might make my problem worse, so here’s some screenshots from the new BIOS settings :

6C507F36-E981-4449-B4DA-C40C5C2BEF13.jpeg EF215C27-58F0-48CC-9E5D-0245D2588CC7.jpeg D8031455-D38E-4782-95C5-4B904E9EF8BA.jpeg

Now, my Clover boot options is a mess (basically it’s just the usual SSD plus the new one). Note that I didn’t edited the config.plist in the last few months and I don’t know how to edit it without booting. From what i’ve read it’s impossible.

941E962B-0101-4860-87B1-32B2828D438D.jpeg

I also noticed that NVidia WEB drivers and Inject Intel are now checked by default in the Clover settings.

This said, I tried to follow your suggestions but I keep getting the same KP :

920FD0BA-F1D5-4231-B2B7-4CD9C985904E.jpeg

KP1 : nvda_drv=1 + WEB drivers + inject intel

E49187CD-A226-491D-8564-6E5C89626682.jpeg

KP2 : nvda_drv=1 + WEB drivers without inject intel

C71ACB73-A11C-4476-AE53-61B7F11B226C.jpeg

KP3 : nvda_drv=1 + WEB drivers + inject intel + inject NVidia

F89D436B-25BA-4D13-A3A8-1ABADC88BB00.jpeg

KP4 : WEB drivers + inject intel

So obviously I didn’t tried all combinations possible but as the process is quite lengthy due to boot waiting times, I thought it’d be good to make a post with what I already tried.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the help. As you weren’t responding yesterday, I got impatient and tried to install High Sierra on my new SSD, thinking it’d be easier and that I might be able to get back some files from the corrupted one. I used the Vanilla Guide from ****** (https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh...ings_of_a_hackintosher_a_sorta_brief_vanilla/) but got stuck because I don’t understand how to use it in combination with RehabMan’s guide to avoid APFS conversion.

So I reverted the BIOS settings to optimized defaults and tweaked it as closely as possible from the Vanilla Guide, but this might make my problem worse, so here’s some screenshots from the new BIOS settings :

View attachment 342628 View attachment 342629 View attachment 342630

Now, my Clover boot options is a mess (basically it’s just the usual SSD plus the new one). Note that I didn’t edited the config.plist in the last few months and I don’t know how to edit it without booting. From what i’ve read it’s impossible.

View attachment 342631

I also noticed that NVidia WEB drivers and Inject Intel are now checked by default in the Clover settings.

This said, I tried to follow your suggestions but I keep getting the same KP :

View attachment 342632

KP1 : nvda_drv=1 + WEB drivers + inject intel

View attachment 342633

KP2 : nvda_drv=1 + WEB drivers without inject intel

View attachment 342634

KP3 : nvda_drv=1 + WEB drivers + inject intel + inject NVidia

View attachment 342635

KP4 : WEB drivers + inject intel

Thanks again
So obviously I didn’t tried all combinations possible but as the process is quite lengthy due to boot waiting times, I thought it’d be good to make a post with what I already tried..

• In earlier situation ( while trying to resuscitate the prior unbootable HS from SSD) the KP that occurred, I thought was from Graphics problem. There were several signs in the previously uploaded CBM screen shots pointing toward a Graphics related Crash.
  • Since I have not used Nvidia GTX 770, I was not sure if it needed Nvidia Web-driver or like Nvidia GT 710 it would boot with native Mac kexts.
Nvidia web driver installation in the recent High Sierra versions requires "SIP Enabling" during Webdriver installation and then Disabling it after successful installation and no black screen issues from failure to install the drivers properly.

• As P1LGRIM correctly said, if you install Nvidia Webdrivers, you don't need to inject Nvidia drivers through clover boot args. Since your post was unclear whether you had installed NvidiaWeb driver and followed all the steps correctly and since there is no easy way to access the System to check and troubleshoot, I was hoping to overcome the problem through CLOVER Options basically a trial and error attempt at this stage.
In your current fresh installation on an SSD, the uploaded BIOS shots have several errors. Please see edited images 1, 2 and 3

Attachments

• 1.BIOS Features.png
    1.BIOS Features.png
    783.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 2.BIOS Features UEFI.png
    2.BIOS Features UEFI.png
    751.4 KB · Views: 264
  • 3.Peripherals contridictary Graphics and EHCI Disabled in USB.png
    3.Peripherals contridictary Graphics and EHCI Disabled in USB.png
    657.5 KB · Views: 164
Thanks again, I edited my BIOS to match your suggestions and attached screenshots.

I noticed the menus slightly changed and the boot options reduced to 5. In the Clover graphics settings, nothing is selected by default. So I tried the default settings, with WEB drivers selected and both WEB and inject NVidia selected, all resulting in the same (or very similar) KP.

I attached the last KP with WEB drivers selected.

Thank you for the explanations but I’m not sure to fully understand, so I hope I’m not doing anything wrong.

A28EA1D8-FFFA-48AD-870F-D865C486C08D.jpeg FF7A1E24-F32A-4AD9-BE60-5777725DE1E9.jpeg 363DEDA5-5D8A-4EEF-BC02-99EDCC2431B6.jpeg 28121154-0432-4903-BCFD-BD880BE3634B.jpeg

Edit : my SSD with the corrupted High Sierra install is the 256gb Sandisk one

Thanks again, I edited my BIOS to match your suggestions and attached screenshots.

I noticed the menus slightly changed and the boot options reduced to 5. In the Clover graphics settings, nothing is selected by default. So I tried the default settings, with WEB drivers selected and both WEB and inject NVidia selected, all resulting in the same (or very similar) KP.

Thank you for the explanations but I’m not sure to fully understand, so I hope I’m not doing anything wrong.

View attachment 342696 View attachment 342697 View attachment 342698 View attachment 342699

Hi, Bolos, I see that you're still having problems and I may be able to help you. I agree with almost all the help comments you've received thus far.

Since you are having a kernel panic, and with your previous issues, you MUST simplify your setup to the max. Read this post of mine in another thread, #6, and perhaps look at other posts of mine. When you are ready to get your hackintosh going, do this:
1) Take out that graphics card, it's not helping you now. After you take it out you MUST go into UEFI (Gigabyte called it BIOS in the guides back then) and change the graphics -- Initial Display to IGFX and Internal Graphics Enabled.

2) I assume your Yosemite HD/SSD is working, and you'll need to be able to boot into that, so leave it alone. If not, a clean install of High Sierra is the only way to go, on your new SSD. No other drives but your Yosemite drive and your target drive.

3) UEFI(BIOS) settings are not that hard: Load Optimized Defaults, then use the ones I list in #6 (see #2,3,5). Those will work (except you need to set the graphics as I said in 1). Then save.

4) I know you've got your Clover config.plist posted, so I assume you are familiar with Clover Configurator. Right? When I first started using it I was like "Huh?" I'll tell you that only Golden and Success Builds and certain guides go through the kind of settings you'll need, but I'll help there. It's a long topic, but I'll come back to that later. Download the latest Vibrant version.

5) Your hack is going to work because you have the right settings/files in A) BIOS, B) Clover config.plist, C) Kexts, D) UEFI drivers-64.

6) Remember to keep everything in UEFI and 64-bit, that's a must. macOS and Windows, too. All drives, all settings. (32-bit applications where necessary are fine, but will not work in macOS in the version after Mojave.

7) It's a learning process, especially with the Clover settings, which are barely described anywhere.

8) Take a look at this recent post of mine -- #29 -- and assemble the latest versions of the kexts and UEFI-64 drivers that you see in this picture of mine. See the next post for direct sources. RehabMan's Bitbucket is a major source: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 12.26.09 PM.png

To get the latest drivers, use the latest version of Clover r4630 direct from sourceforge.net (I just used it with no problem):
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/. Find a spare USB flash drive (only need 50MB space) and format it:
Open Disk Utility, highlight the USB drive itself in the left column, click Erase button, name it “Clover Only”, Choose “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”, “GUID Partition Map” for Scheme, Click "Erase", then "Done".
Then install Clover to this USB Flash drive by using Change install location... and Customize in the Clover installer--selecting the drivers above to install.
When you finish this, you will have a non-bootable copy of the Clover EFI folder on this spare drive. You can open this folder just like any folder on a flash drive, without having to mount a partition. For future use you can create two new folders on your desktop, "Kexts" and "Drivers". Open the "EFI" folder on the "Clover Only" USB drive and copy/paste or drag all the drivers inside "EFI">Clover>Drivers64UEFI to the "Drivers" folder on your desktop. Later when you have the latest of all the kexts downloaded, place them in the "Kexts" folder on your desktop.

Two important new drivers replacing older versions are available directly from their sources:
as of 8/8/18:
AptioMemoryFix.efi --AptioFixPkg R22 RELEASE --This driver replaces previous Aptio fixes
https://github.com/acidanthera/AptioFixPkg/releases

ApfsDriverLoader.efi --v1.3.2 --This driver replaces Apple's apfs.efi
https://github.com/acidanthera/ApfsSupportPkg/releases

Add these two drivers to the "Drivers" folder on your desktop.

I have to go now, Bolos. I'll get back and finish more later. At least this is a start!

Last edited:
Oh yes I read about that but as cmn699 was suggesting to use it and seems to know what he’s talking about I gave it a try.
O.K. here are the sources for the kexts, checked on 7/28/18:

Lilu now LATEST is 1.2.5 √
https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases

NvidiaGraphicsFixup 1.2.7 LATEST √
https://github.com/lvs1974/NvidiaGraphicsFixup/releases

VoodooHDA 2.9.1 (2018-01-20) LATEST √
https://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/files/?source=navbar
and
VoodooHdaSettingsLoader-109.zip √
https://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/files/VoodooHdaSettingsLoader-109.zip/download
with VoodooHdaSettingsLoader.app—version 1.2
[Note: MultiBeast offers an older version of this kext under Driver>Audio>Universal, but even so you must have the VoodooHdaSettingsLoader.app installed on your system for the driver to function properly.]

IntelMausiEthernet 2.4.0d0 v2-2018-0424 LATEST √
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-intel-network/downloads/

RehabMan’s OS-X-intel-network v2-2018-0424 2.4.0d0 LATEST √
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-intel-network

USBInjectAll (RehabMan) now LATEST is 0.6.6 (2018-0716.zip) √
RehabMan / OS-X-USB-Inject-All / Downloads — Bitbucket

FakeSMC (RehabMan) 6.26-344-g1cf53906.1787 (2018-0403.zip) LATEST √
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fakesmc-kozlek/downloads/

FakePCIID (RehabMan) 1.3.12 (2018-0421.zip) LATEST √
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id/downloads/

FakePCIID_XHCIM (RehabMan) 1.3.12 (2018-0421.zip) LATEST √
—same as previous—

Clover EFI bootloader
Clover EFI bootloader - Browse Files at SourceForge.net
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/clover on 7/28 still r4444 from 2018-04-19 √

Last edited:

View attachment 342696 View attachment 342697 View attachment 342698 View attachment 342699

O.K., Bolos, I think the way for you to proceed is to do a completely new installation of macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, going tonymacx86 all the way.

1) Start with a new download of macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. (It's always updated by Apple.) That huge file needs to be in your Applications folder.

2) Download the latest UniBeast, MultiBeast, and KextBeast.

3) You already have downloaded the latest Clover from sourceforge.net, the latest Clover Configurator, the latest versions of the kexts in my picture from the above direct sources.

4) You should have the latest drivers from the install of Clover r4630 on your spare USB flash drive named "Clover Only". Copy the entire EFI folder from the flash drive onto your desktop, drag or copy/paste; that would include all the latest drivers, of course. Eject the flash drive. You do NOT need this install of Clover on this spare USB flash drive any longer.

5) Your BIOS should already have been set up as I described, after the graphics card and any besides the two SSDs removed.

6) Now create a new macOS High Sierra installer USB flash drive exactly as tonymacx86 describes. Do NOT set up for any graphics card, only for Intel graphics (easy to change later).
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.235474/
In UniBeast use the UEFI Boot Mode, which includes "Inject Intel=Yes", FakeSMC.kext, and three different ethernet kexts, including an older version of IntelMausiEthernet.kext.

[EDIT: I strongly advise updating your new macOS High Sierra Installer USB flash drive with your previously downloaded Clover r4630 installer RIGHT NOW. tonymacx86 mentions doing this in the guide linked above:
"Step 2...15. Drag MultiBeast to your completed USB drive.
Clover Note: UniBeast delivers basic bootloader support based on our testing on recommended CustoMac systems. For further bootloader customization, download and run the official Clover package. Advanced users may also compile Clover by downloading the full source."
My concern is the inclusion of eclipsed and older drivers and kexts in UniBeast and MultiBeast and the timing of the installation of the apfs.efi driver (considered replaced by ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi, also).

After you have created your new macOS High Sierra installer USB flash drive as tonymacx86 describes, update the USB drive with the Clover r4630 installer and make sure the updated kexts and drivers pictured previously are installed. I am advocating an earlier updating of the Clover install, before your first boot, over my recommendation in the next post.
Use this method:

Use the Clover r4630 installer to UPDATE the Clover on the new macOS High Sierra installer USB flash drive. Be sure you are installing to the USB flash drive by using Change install location... If you want you can choose Customize in the Clover installer to select the drivers to install, once again.

After the Clover update
, you should see the mounted EFI partition of the USB drive. But if not, use Clover Configurator's "Mount EFI" in Tools, click on it, and scroll down the list to your USB drive, and click the Mount Partition, then the Open Partition buttons. Open the USB flash drive's EFI>EFI>Clover>kexts>Other folder. Now using all the kexts you previously downloaded and placed into your "Drivers" folder on your desktop, Copy/Paste or drag all these new kexts into "Other" and replace everyone of the old kexts there. (The other folders inside the "kexts" folder, 10.12, 10.13 etc. should be discarded.) Do the same with the drivers in your "Drivers" folder on your desktop to the USB flash drive's EFI>EFI>Clover>Drivers64UEFI folder. NOW you can use this USB installer to install macOS. Later we will update the Clover config.plist. END EDIT]

7) Make a folder on your desktop called "Install Folder" or something like that and place these files inside: the Clover r4630 Install folder, the UniBeast, MultiBeast and KextBeast downloaded files, the "Drivers" folder (with the drivers included), and the "Kexts" folder with the downloaded latest kexts. Add to this the latest driver for your wifi adapter if you have one, though ethernet is useful during installation. Add the latest NVIDIA web driver package if you want. Now you can put this "Install Folder" on your new macOS High Sierra installer USB flash drive -- or you can use a separate USB flash drive if you prefer.

8) Then install High Sierra on your target SSD/HDD drive (not your Yosemite drive) using UniBeast, exactly as tonymacx86 tells you to do it (read all of post #1). Use the method to prevent conversion to APFS in terminal if you want. (Add tonymacx86's latest apfs.efi driver to your UEFI-64 drivers folder in your copied USB drive's EFI folder if you elect APFS.)

9) Now, leave your macOS High Sierra installer USB flash drive in your USB2 slot and get into this USB flash drive using the system bootloader by hitting the F12 key as you start up. Using the Clover boot loader that you see in Clover on the USB drive, select and boot into your newly installed 10.13.6 partition, making sure you do NOT choose your Yosemite drive or the USB drive installer or anything else. Do not boot into High Sierra from the SSD/HDD drive directly. Go through the USB flash drive.

10) You should reach your desktop. If you don't, let us know. Now on to Phase Two.

Later...

Last edited:

I have no idea if you're active on this thread, Bolos, but I'll continue for anyone who comes across this thread in the future, if not you.

1) I believe the best way to proceed is to make all changes on the EFI>Clover folder in the EFI partition of your High Sierra installer USB drive, which you should have inserted into a USB port. To mount and open this folder, use Clover Configurator's Mount EFI. Choose the correct EFI from the list.

2) However, you can use MultiBeast to further the install if you wish. On the build page of MultiBeast be sure to choose the drive to install to, the HS installer flash drive, or the HDD/SSD you installed HS to, if you wish.

3) But I really suggest you follow this method, and if you do, you'll see why.

4) One caveat: I use my BIOS bootloader (F12) to choose my USB flash drive with Clover, then I choose my target High Sierra drive and boot into it. I can defend this method. One, I have many internal and external drives--Mac, Windows, data, Ubuntu, Mint. Two, this approach to the install is similar to the "Vanilla" method you saw on ******. I don't agree with the idea that placing our Clover install on the EFI partition of our boot drive is a problem; it clearly isn't. But I don't believe that installing kexts to Library/Extensions or System/L/E is a good idea; and in High Sierra it's not recommended. (Formerly RehabMan et. al. advised otherwise).

5) The third reason for using the USB flash drive to boot into our HDD/SSD High Sierra partition is that it makes everyday, every update, changes a lot easier. When you change any of the components of the Clover install, Clover, the config.plist, kexts or drivers, you can revert back easily, even on another computer, to your previous EFI folder by replacing it on the flash drive. The fourth reason is that it just works, so why not? I do not use APFS yet, but it's said that, I believe, the APFS driver (APFS.efi or ApfsDriverLoader-64) must be installed on the drive with an APFS High Sierra partition, in >EFI>Clover>Drivers64UEFI. No problem, see 6) below.

6) When you're done with the setup of the Clover folder on your flash drive, you can simply copy that EFI folder to the EFI partition of your boot HDD/SSD by just replacing the old one. The Apple files seen inside the old one will regenerate in the new EFI folder automatically, leaving your new Clover folder inside as it is.

Right, Phase Two. If you already updated the Clover installation on your macOS High Sierra installer USB drive, skip #7 and 8 here. If at anytime you used MultiBeast, make sure all the drivers and kexts described in the posts before are still present in the USB drive's EFI partition.

7) Use the Clover r4630 installer in "Install Folder" to UPDATE the Clover on the flash drive's EFI. Be sure you are install to the USB Flash drive by using Change install location... If you want you could choose Customize in the Clover installer to select the drivers to install, once again; but you can just move the Drivers64UEFI folder in the EFI folder in your "Install Folder" later if you wish.

8) After you update Clover on the USB flash drive, you can move the Drivers64UEFI folder from the EFI folder in your "Install Folder" if you didn't put the drivers in during the update. Then put the latest kexts you downloaded before and move them to the USB flash drive's EFI>EFI>Clover>Kexts>Other folder. (The other folders inside the Kexts folder, 10.12, 10.13 etc. should be discarded.)

9) So we've updated Clover and the Drivers64UEFI and Kexts folders on the flash drive. Now let's tackle the Clover config.plist. With Clover Configurator and the flash drive's EFI partition mounted and open, drag the enclosed config.plist from the Clover folder to the ICON of Clover Configurator in the DOCK, and bang the plist opens the configuration panels in Clover Configurator.

10) I'm sure you know that you have to set up the SMBIOS in that panel. But do it exactly as described in this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/
When you're done you will have a proper SN and will be able to use the App Store, iMessage, and much more properly. It's very important to do this. It's not hard. BE SURE TO MAKE SURE "TRUST" IS CHECKED IN THE SMBIOS PANEL WHEN YOU HAVE IT FILLED OUT.

11) Now the rest of the panels for the config.plist. Because we're both Gigabyte Z87 I'm going to put pics of my panels (except for my filled out SMBIOS panel). Just copy what you see in your Clover Configurator. I think that will work for you. The operative word is think. Probably. The only issue that stands out is that I have an SSDT for CPU power in my Clover folder. If you want to do the same, use this guide, which is NOT hard to follow:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/

12a) It's best for you to NOT install your graphics card before you have tested all this by restarting without it. So in that case: 1) Under "System Parameters" you will NOT have NvidiaWeb checked yet (assuming you even need the web drivers for your card; you may not, I don't know). YOU SHOULD ADD IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
Releases · lvs1974/IntelGraphicsFixup · GitHub to flashdrive>EFI>EFI>Clover>Kexts. I would not add WhateverGreen.kext for now. You can substitute for it later. You probably need to check Inject Intel in "Graphics." It's been so long, I don't remember. (When you're booting through the Clover bootloader on your flash drive you can add a boot flag to inject intel if you need to--see https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-enter-edit-boot-flags-in-clover.174319/.)

12b) Here are my Clover Configuration pics for the Clover config.plist:
Eight.png Eleven.png FIVE.png FOUR.png

13) Any time you make changes this way to your Clover config.plist always "SAVE" the changes. Don't make 13) unlucky by forgetting!

Attachments

• NINE.png
    NINE.png
    678.2 KB · Views: 222
  • one.png
    one.png
    439.4 KB · Views: 247
  • Seven.png
    Seven.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Six.png
    Six.png
    295.3 KB · Views: 267
  • TEN.png
    TEN.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 260
  • Three.png
    Three.png
    431.8 KB · Views: 249
  • two.png
    two.png
    455.4 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Now that you have modified your config.plist and added your drivers and kexts, the opened flashdrive>EFI>EFI>Clover folder looks like this:
use it.png

The CLOVERX64.efi is actually the updated r4630 of Clover.

While you have your flash drive's EFI partition open in Clover Configurator (flashdrive>EFI>EFI -- the whole folder), drag the folder to the desktop and place it within another folder labeled "New USB EFI" or something to make clear what it is. You can close your flash drive's EFI partition. Open your boot HDD/SSD's EFI partition in Clover Configurator, and take the "EFI" folder from the "New USB EFI" folder on your desktop and add it to the HDD/SSD's EFI partition, and choose "Replace."

Frankly this is optional at least with HFS+, but it's good to have a copy on the HDD/SSD itself.

second.png

You should now be able to restart or start up, use F12, choose the UEFI version of your flash drive, from there choose the Boot macOS High Sierra from {your HDD/SSD}, and reach your desktop.

To engage your NVIDIA graphics card, assuming you need the web drivers, modify the config.plist on your flash drive's EFI>Clover by checking NvidiaWeb and unchecking Inject Intel. Install the downloaded web drivers if you need them. Shutdown and install the card. Reboot. If all is OK, copy the newly modified config.plist (or the entire flashdrive EFI folder) to your HDD/SSD's EFI partition again

I hope all this is helpful. Good luck! Please post results or comments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back