Contribute
Register

Updating from Yosemite to High Sierra-best approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i5 3570K
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone, i would appreciate a good advice on how to update my Hackintosh from current OSX (Yosemite 10.10.5) to the latest OSX possible. Since i have nVidia graphics card, i assume that Mojave would not be a good idea because of these issues with Apple not signing off on nVidia Mojave drivers?
Also, my current Model identifier is MacPro3,1, and i'm not sure if that is going to be an issue when updating? Can i change it?
What is important for me is to find the fastest and most reliable method of upgrading and keeping my existing applications and at least most of the settings. I work with photography and videography and have a lot of apps i use daily, so doing a clean install and reinstalling all the apps all over again is not an option.
My current configuration is this:
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H motherboard
Intel i5 3570K Ivy Bridge processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1024 MB graphics card
16 GB RAM
120 GB SSD hard drive as a system drive
another SSD as a 'working drive' for applications that need a faster access to larger files.

Here is what i had in mind, and i'm wondering is it going to work and what possible problems could i expect:
I bought another SSD (250GB capacity), and i-m planning to make this one my new system drive. I made a Time Machine backup on an external hdd, now i would remove the old Yosemite SSD from the disk bay, install the new 250 SSD, and then do a clean install of High Sierra onto the new SSD. After doing a post-install and making sure all of my hardware works properly, then i would restore my applications, files and settings from Time Machine backup using Migration assistant. Now, since my current bootloader is Chameleon, and High Sierra uses Clover, my question is will the Time Machine restore screw up the bootloader? What if after the restore i manually delete the Extra folder from system drive, will that do the trick?
Am i missing something? Please help :) I'd like to avoid as much surprises as i can :)

Thank U all in advance :)

Hello everyone, i would appreciate a good advice on how to update my Hackintosh from current OSX (Yosemite 10.10.5) to the latest OSX possible. Since i have nVidia graphics card, i assume that Mojave would not be a good idea because of these issues with Apple not signing off on nVidia Mojave drivers?
Also, my current Model identifier is MacPro3,1, and i'm not sure if that is going to be an issue when updating? Can i change it?
What is important for me is to find the fastest and most reliable method of upgrading and keeping my existing applications and at least most of the settings. I work with photography and videography and have a lot of apps i use daily, so doing a clean install and reinstalling all the apps all over again is not an option.
My current configuration is this:
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H motherboard
Intel i5 3570K Ivy Bridge processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1024 MB graphics card
16 GB RAM
120 GB SSD hard drive as a system drive
another SSD as a 'working drive' for applications that need a faster access to larger files.

Here is what i had in mind, and i'm wondering is it going to work and what possible problems could i expect:
I bought another SSD (250GB capacity), and i-m planning to make this one my new system drive. I made a Time Machine backup on an external hdd, now i would remove the old Yosemite SSD from the disk bay, install the new 250 SSD, and then do a clean install of High Sierra onto the new SSD. After doing a post-install and making sure all of my hardware works properly, then i would restore my applications, files and settings from Time Machine backup using Migration assistant. Now, since my current bootloader is Chameleon, and High Sierra uses Clover, my question is will the Time Machine restore screw up the bootloader? What if after the restore i manually delete the Extra folder from system drive, will that do the trick?
Am i missing something? Please help :) I'd like to avoid as much surprises as i can :)

Thank U all in advance :)

Now, since my current bootloader is Chameleon, and High Sierra uses Clover, my question is will the Time Machine restore screw up the bootloader?
  • Time Machine is a tool meant to automatically back up all of your files, including apps, music, photos, email, documents, and system files.
  • It is NOT a Disk Cloning tool.
    • It DOES NOT clone the hidden EFI Partition which holds the Bootloader Chimera or CLOVER .
  • Your original plan to backup your System disk to an External drive using Time Machine and Restore Time Machine back up on prompt during Clean installation of macOS High Sierra on a new SSD using a macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 USB Installer, sounds a very logical and proper approach to me.
  • Please NOTE:
    • Your NVIDIA GT 640, will require Nvidia Web Driver installation on the System Disk in post-install stage to function well
    • Nvidia Web driver install is a multi-step somewhat complex process. Unless you follow all the steps correctly you will end up with a marathon troubleshoot!!!
    • Please Read about Nvidia Web driver install and make notes BEFORE you venture that Post-Install procedure or ask for help BEFORE you proceed reflexly!

• Time Machine is a tool meant to automatically back up all of your files, including apps, music, photos, email, documents, and system files.
  • It is NOT a Disk Cloning tool.
    • It DOES NOT clone the hidden EFI Partition which holds the Bootloader Chimera or CLOVER .
  • Your original plan to backup your System disk to an External drive using Time Machine and Restore Time Machine back up on prompt during Clean installation of macOS High Sierra on a new SSD using a macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 USB Installer, sounds a very logical and proper approach to me.
  • Please NOTE:
    • Your NVIDIA GT 640, will require Nvidia Web Driver installation on the System Disk in post-install stage to function well
    • Nvidia Web driver install is a multi-step somewhat complex process. Unless you follow all the steps correctly you will end up with a marathon troubleshoot!!!
    • Please Read about Nvidia Web driver install and make notes BEFORE you venture that Post-Install procedure or ask for help BEFORE you proceed reflexly!

Thank U so much for the detailed reply! Is this the step by step guide for web driver installation: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-high-sierra-10-13-1-378-10-10-10-20.236101/ ?

I suggest you to read this also and you may be better off with the script from here: https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update
Thanks, i already got it working :) I'm still working on some post-installation twerks, for example i can't get mi Wi-Fi to work. It used to work with IO80211Family kext but it looks like t doesn't anymore. I installed it using Clover Configurator, and it automatically copied it in EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.6
If '10.6' stands for OSX version, will copying the kext in 10.13 folder do any good?

Thanks, i already got it working :) I'm still working on some post-installation twerks, for example i can't get mi Wi-Fi to work. It used to work with IO80211Family kext but it looks like t doesn't anymore. I installed it using Clover Configurator, and it automatically copied it in EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.6
If '10.6' stands for OSX version, will copying the kext in 10.13 folder do any good?
i can't get mi Wi-Fi to work. It used to work with IO80211Family kext but it looks like t doesn't anymore

What is the Make and Model of your WiFi? Full details please.

I was working on it while replying to your post :) It's TP-Link TL-WN781ND. I'm trying to find what chipset it's based on, and then find the appropriate kext...
Which year released IO80211Family.kext you tried?

Your PCIE WiFi, TP-Link TL-WN781ND has Atheros Chipset. It should work with IO80211Family.kext

Last edited:
Got it working with a variation of this method: youtube.com/watch?v=3PgHDYleXRk
The difference is that i already had a IO80211Family.kext in System/Library/Extensions with Atheros kext inside, so i edited that kext as shown in video, restarted and it works :)
I believe i got everything working now with the clean install (except from boot order, i have to change that in BIOS...), now i have to restore from Time Machine backup, let's see how that goes...

Last edited:
My previous reply is still waiting on moderator approval, i guess because of the youtube link...
Anyway, i got wi-fi to work by editing an existing kext in System/Library/Extensions with Atheros kext inside. Now wifi works, but a short time after it when the screen went to sleep, after i hit the keyboard to wake it up, the system crashed and rebooted, and now it won’t boot as before.
I tried hitting space in clover, checking verbose mode, and Disable PowerNap, and it sometimes works sometimes doesnt... currently it’s working, i have config.plst open in Clover Configurator and will try adding -v and darkwake=0 as permanent flags and see what happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back