Contribute
Register

Updating from Sierra (10.12) to High Sierra (10.13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Intel i7 6700
Graphics
NVIDIA GTX 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have successfully installed macOS Sierra, and I want to update it to High Sierra.

I tried through the "installer" (the one you can download from the App Store), but the white progress bar seems to get stuck after 90% of the process, so I was wondering:

- is it because of the new file system?
- most importantly, is the new file system even compatible?
- should I just do a fresh install? I wouldn't like to tough: I don't want to re-install everything...

Also, is the new APFS even worth it? I'm reading that it's not compatible with File Vault (no big deal for me) and Time Machine (which I don't use right now but I'll for sure in the near future). Is that true?

Since this macOS HighSierra is a Beta version, it is not adviasable to install it as the main and only system. You will find out later that many of the functionality your current macOS Sierra has may not be available even if it installs OK. If it fails , your original system will be rendered useless.

If you can add another hard disk to your current system and use that as a new install creating a new USB installer, in your current working system you can test and compare that to the Sierra System.

I believe most who have installed this Beta does it that way. I have installed it as part of a Multi-boot system from several separate disks . I know this Beta lacks many things the macOS Sierra can do.

I have successfully installed macOS Sierra, and I want to update it to High Sierra.

I tried through the "installer" (the one you can download from the App Store), but the white progress bar seems to get stuck after 90% of the process, so I was wondering:

- is it because of the new file system?
- most importantly, is the new file system even compatible?
- should I just do a fresh install? I wouldn't like to tough: I don't want to re-install everything...

Also, is the new APFS even worth it? I'm reading that it's not compatible with File Vault (no big deal for me) and Time Machine (which I don't use right now but I'll for sure in the near future). Is that true?

There is really no good reason to update your Sierra install to High Sierra. Follow the advice of cmn699 and experiment on a separate disk if you'd like to. It's far too early to make the leap. Wait until at least October 2017 or later.

Since this macOS HighSierra is a Beta version, it is not advisable to install it as the main and only system. You will find out later that many of the functionality your current macOS Sierra has may not be available even if it installs OK. If it fails , your original system will be rendered useless.

If you can add another hard disk to your current system and use that as a new install creating a new USB installer, in your current working system you can test and compare that to the Sierra System.

I believe most who have installed this Beta does it that way. I have installed it as part of a Multi-boot system from several separate disks . I know this Beta lacks many things the macOS Sierra can do.

There is really no good reason to update your Sierra install to High Sierra. Follow the advice of cmn699 and experiment on a separate disk if you'd like to. It's far too early to make the leap. Wait until at least October 2017 or later.

No need to worry : ) I'm just going to install it on my Hackintosh, which I always keep empty, no important stuff on it.
The only hassle would be re-install all the apps, no big deal.

That said, is there an alternative to install it without a fresh install? Otherwise, a fresh install is not a problem.

More importantly, is the APFS already included, or do I need to do something? Also, NVIDIA drivers?

I upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra from the Mac App Store . APFS works fine. Some new features will depend on APFS I think. All you need is the latest clover or whatever boot loader that supports High Sierra and inject the latest kexts that you need with clover. But I think that Clover needs the apfs.efi driver too see the disk at all.

You can keep using HFS+ if you want, specially with spinning platter disks, but APFS is better and worths it.

No need to worry : ) I'm just going to install it on my Hackintosh, which I always keep empty, no important stuff on it.
The only hassle would be re-install all the apps, no big deal.

That said, is there an alternative to install it without a fresh install? Otherwise, a fresh install is not a problem.

More importantly, is the APFS already included, or do I need to do something? Also, NVIDIA drivers?

My recommendation would to be not to install over Sierra and to at least shrink your SIERRA partition just enough to make a test partition if you don’t have a spare drive laying around for test usage. And just run the installer app after installing the latest clover

My recommendation would to be not to install over Sierra and to at least shrink your SIERRA partition just enough to make a test partition if you don’t have a spare drive laying around for test usage. And just run the installer app after installing the latest clover

My Hackintosh is in itself a spare drive lol - I don't mind messing around with it. Also, I don't like to deal with partitions for the sake of simplicity.

I tried running the installer but it got stuck at around 90% of the process, so I restarted the system. The old OS was still there, working.

I guess it stuck because I didn't update (as you're saying) the Clover - but I don't know what to do, I'm too inexperienced.
Do you know some step by step tutorial? Once I understand the process I'll probably write one myself : )

I upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra from the Mac App Store . APFS works fine. Some new features will depend on APFS I think. All you need is the latest clover or whatever boot loader that supports High Sierra and inject the latest kexts that you need with clover. But I think that Clover needs the apfs.efi driver too see the disk at all.

You can keep using HFS+ if you want, specially with spinning platter disks, but APFS is better and worths it.

I would like to switch to APFS, but I don't know how to use Clover after installing it...

Anyway, since I want to re-install the OS from scratch, is this https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-sierra-public-beta-installation-usb.225520/ the tutorial I should follow to get High Sierra with APFS and everything?

Btw, thank you guys so much for you help : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back