Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
So i built a hackintosh back in 2013 and i haven't updated it since. This means it's still running osx mountain lion. I never updated it because i always heard stories from people claiming this ruined their hackintosh and also i knew some software (such a logic pro 9) was no longer supporter by later versions of osx. I do now want to finally upgrade but can i do this simply by updating from the app store or do i need to follow some additional steps? Many thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Specs:

Processor: 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5-3570k
Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ds3h
Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Geforce GTX660ti

Just gonna give this a little bump...

I highly advise you start from scratch.

Just backup your prior install either manually (ie your user folder) or Carbon Copy Cloner if you want to revert back later.

If this was a real Mac, even I would advise to start from scratch too.

So i built a hackintosh back in 2013 and i haven't updated it since. [...] I do now want to finally upgrade but can i do this simply by updating from the app store or do i need to follow some additional steps? Many thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Specs:

I built mine back in 2013 (i3770 cpu, gtx 650) and upgraded it from 10.8 to 10.9 then to 10.12. I'd suggest stay on 10.12 until HS's issues are ironed out. It will support your GPU natively I think. Do expect some deterioration in the UI mostly because the developers now assume everyone has a retina display. 8GB is the minimum of RAM. 10.12 is less shy about memory - i regularly see my 16GB utilised to full capacity (something that was rare before). p.s. LPX is great, much much better than LP9.

So i built a hackintosh back in 2013 and i haven't updated it since. This means it's still running osx mountain lion. I never updated it because i always heard stories from people claiming this ruined their hackintosh and also i knew some software (such a logic pro 9) was no longer supporter by later versions of osx. I do now want to finally upgrade but can i do this simply by updating from the app store or do i need to follow some additional steps? Many thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Specs:

@simonbormans Any luck updating? I'm in a similar position; trying to figure out if I can update directly, or if I have to linearly (form one to the next until HS).

I highly advise you start from scratch.

Just backup your prior install either manually (ie your user folder) or Carbon Copy Cloner if you want to revert back later.

If this was a real Mac, even I would advise to start from scratch too.

@izo1 Could you elaborate just briefly? Do you mean build a new HS bootloader and install like the first time I built my hack? Would that leave my installed programs and preferences intact? Maybe its a stupid question, but I've had trouble finding a straight answer to it. Thanks in advance.

@izo1 Could you elaborate just briefly? Do you mean build a new HS bootloader and install like the first time I built my hack? Would that leave my installed programs and preferences intact? Maybe its a stupid question, but I've had trouble finding a straight answer to it. Thanks in advance.

I am in the same situation as yours. I built my Hackintosh with Mountain Lion years ago and it has been a great workhorse. I have been apprehensive to update it in any way through these years and admit that I have been using a 2010 Mac Pro for my Logic Pro X and a few other apps recently. I'd like to update my Hackintosh to High Sierra (which is what I prefer these days) and wonder if you were ever able to successfully do the same. Please let me know. Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back