Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P7P55D Deluxe
CPU
i7 860
Graphics
GTX 760
Hi everyone,

I have an older machine which is working just fine with El Capitan and I was wondering if I could update it to High Sierra (I understand that Mojave is still buggy and there are no nVidia web drivers available).

Someone else made the installation for me back in 2015, so I don't really know much about it, but I'm a fast learner.

I'm not sure where to start. I read through many of the posts I could find here and I understand that I have to upgrade Clover, make some different EFI and BIOS settings. In the App Store I can only download Mojave, so where can I find the High Sierra download?

I have already cloned everything using CCC, but I am afraid not to break anything, as I need this machine for work.

Is there a step-by-step guide which I can follow or could someone point me in the right direction? All help would be much appreciated :)

Hi everyone,

I have an older machine which is working just fine with El Capitan and I was wondering if I could update it to High Sierra (I understand that Mojave is still buggy and there are no nVidia web drivers available).

Someone else made the installation for me back in 2015, so I don't really know much about it, but I'm a fast learner.

I'm not sure where to start. I read through many of the posts I could find here and I understand that I have to upgrade Clover, make some different EFI and BIOS settings. In the App Store I can only download Mojave, so where can I find the High Sierra download?

I have already cloned everything using CCC, but I am afraid not to break anything, as I need this machine for work.

Is there a step-by-step guide which I can follow or could someone point me in the right direction? All help would be much appreciated :)

You can download High Sierra from a link on this page : https://support.apple.com/HT208969
(Scroll down to 4 and you will see the link.)

The fact that you have a GTX 460 may be a problem. This old graphics card does not support Metal, Apple's graphics framework, and it will not work in Mojave and may also have problems in High Sierra.

You can try to install High Sierra (Better to do this on a separate disk away from your El Capitan installation. In case of problems you can still fall back to El Capitan.) but it may or may not work. Is it possible for you to upgrade your graphics card to a newer one, such as a GTX 760 or Radeon HD 7870?

You can download High Sierra from a link on this page : https://support.apple.com/HT208969
(Scroll down to 4 and you will see the link.)

The fact that you have a GTX 460 may be a problem. This old graphics card does not support Metal, Apple's graphics framework, and it will not work in Mojave and may also have problems in High Sierra.

You can try to install High Sierra (Better to do this on a separate disk away from your El Capitan installation. In case of problems you can still fall back to El Capitan.) but it may or may not work. Is it possible for you to upgrade your graphics card to a newer one, such as a GTX 760 or Radeon HD 7870?

Thank you so much for your answer, Jamesbond007! And for suggesting better graphics cards.
Coincidentally, my husband had a GTX 760 he didn't use anymore, so he installed it on my machine.

So what are the steps I need to take?
Upgrade Clover, check EFI and BIOS settings as per the High Sierra installation guide and then update to High Sierra?
CCC clone is already done.

Thanks again for all your help!

Also, my husband says the GTX 760 is factory overclocked and wanted to know whether there is a utility to downclock it on a Hackintosh, something similar to MSI Afterburner.

Thank you so much for your answer, Jamesbond007! And for suggesting better graphics cards.
Coincidentally, my husband had a GTX 760 he didn't use anymore, so he installed it on my machine.

So what are the steps I need to take?
Upgrade Clover, check EFI and BIOS settings as per the High Sierra installation guide and then update to High Sierra?
CCC clone is already done.

Thanks again for all your help!

Excellent, with a GTX 760 your system should be compatible with MacOS High Sierra. I suggest you update your hardware profile to reflect this fact.

Yes, basically those are the steps to install High Sierra. Are you going to install High Sierra fresh or do you plan to upgrade over El Capitan?

I have not heard of a utility to downclock the graphics card under MacOS. Running an overclocked card under MacOS should not have any problems. I have a Galaxy GTX 760 myself which I used on my main system for a long time before replacing it recently with a RX 580.

Last edited:
Excellent, with a GTX 760 your system should be compatible with MacOS High Sierra. I suggest your hardware profile to reflect this fact.

Yes, basically those are the steps to install High Sierra. Are you going to install High Sierra fresh or do you plan to upgrade over El Capitan?

I have not heard of a utility to downclock the graphics card under MacOS. Running an overclocked card under MacOS should not have any problems. I have a Galaxy GTX 760 myself which I used on my main system for a long time before replacing it recently with a RX 580.

Profile updated. Thanks for the reminder.

I hope to be able to just upgrade El Capitan to High Sierra. I dread a clean install of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back