i9-10980XE
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey,

It's been 5 years with my Hackintosh and I am looking to upgrade without breaking the bank

Original build

Mother board:
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard with BT4.0/Wi-Fi

RAM
CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10

Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)

CPU
BX80637I73770K

Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155

Cooling
CWCH60
Corsair Cooling Hydro-Series All-in-One High-Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Graphics
02G-P4-2678-KR

EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW 2048MB GDDR5 256bit

Power
Antec CP-850 850 Watt CPX SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS Modular Power Supply

Case
Corsair 600T

Extras
LG WH12LS30 blueray
SSDs and HDs

So I was a novice then and I am still quite NOOBish. My hope is I can keep everything and upgrade the motherboard CPU and Ram. Keeping the case, cooler, HDDs, and blu-ray

Upgrade Items (will they fit?)

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD3
Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 Motherboards

Ram
BLS2K16G4D240FSC
Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin

CPU (using my existing cooler)
BX80662I76700K
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151

Will this fit in the 600T and be compatible with my setup? IS $650 in upgrades well spent or would you advise a different route.

Thanks in advance for your help

Eric

Why do you need to upgrade? I had a P67 system with i7 2600k which I recently was persuaded to give to my son. The replacement sky lake i7 system pulls a few more K in geekebench but tbh honest I hardly notice any real world difference?

It's fun upgrading if you enjoy building hackingtosh but apart from that.... ? I enjoyed building my skylake system and with a NVMe at over 2000mbs read write it's pretty nippy... but for the money I spent it not much more 'computer' than my old build?

Why do you need to upgrade? I had a P67 system with i7 2600k which I recently was persuaded to give to my son. The replacement sky lake i7 system pulls a few more K in geekebench but tbh honest I hardly notice any real world difference?

It's fun upgrading if you enjoy building hackingtosh but apart from that.... ? I enjoyed building my skylake system and with a NVMe at over 2000mbs read write it's pretty nippy... but for the money I spent it not much more 'computer' than my old build?

You might be right. A bit of this is stimulated by the past few OS updates and my laziness. Since it's becoming rarer for people to post fresh install guides for my current setup (most guides date back to 2013), I feel like it keeps getting more glitchy with every new os.

Also, you are probably right about a negligible difference in speed, but I see geekbench setups with this hardware rivaling the MacPro desktop. I am certainly not getting that kind of speed.

You might be right. A bit of this is stimulated by the past few OS updates and my laziness. Since it's becoming rarer for people to post fresh install guides for my current setup (most guides date back to 2013), I feel like it keeps getting more glitchy with every new os.

Also, you are probably right about a negligible difference in speed, but I see geekbench setups with this hardware rivaling the MacPro desktop. I am certainly not getting that kind of speed.
You should be seeing around 13k on the free version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back