Contribute
Register

Updating from 10.14.4 to 10.14.5 - new SMBios benifits ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo m90q Tiny
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi,

I was wondering if there would be any benefits to update from 10.14.4 to 10.14.5 and switch to the new supported SMBios iMac19,1 or iMac19,2 for a Gigabyte Z390M Gaming with an Intel i7 8700 if I am using only the IGPU Intel UHD 630 ?

According to this https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...inch-aluminum-retina-4k-early-2019-specs.html, the iMac 19,2 uses an Intel i7-8700. However, it doesn't use the IGPU.

Would using this SMBios avoid the need to inject ig-device-id?

@pastrychef I've made this post as requested :)

Thank you :)

Hi,

I was wondering if there would be any benefits to update from 10.14.4 to 10.14.5 and switch to the new supported SMBios iMac19,1 or iMac19,2 for a Gigabyte Z390M Gaming with an Intel i7 8700 if I am using only the IGPU Intel UHD 630 ?

According to this https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...inch-aluminum-retina-4k-early-2019-specs.html, the iMac 19,2 uses an Intel i7-8700. However, it doesn't use the IGPU.

Would using this SMBios avoid the need to inject ig-device-id?

@pastrychef I've made this post as requested :)

Thank you :)

Usually, we try to use a system definition that most closely matches the hardware that we are using. For example, if you are using i9-9900K, the iMac19,1 uses i9-9900K, so, in my opinion, it's a good choice.

Some people base their choice of system definitions on the GPU used. For example, some Vega users chose to use iMacPro1,1 because those systems used Vegas.

There's no rule that's written in stone for this. Use whichever you feel gives you the most stability.

As for iMac19,x using IGPU, Apple's iMac spec page shows IGPU being used:
Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 11.17.57 AM.png

I have found that 9th gen CPU users need to inject ig-platform-id because IGPU is not being detected automatically correctly in macOS 10.14.5. 8th gen CPU IGPUs don't seem to have this problem. I also had to remove WhateverGreen with macOS 10.14.5 for IGPU to work correctly.

With previous versions of Mojave, I didn't inject ig-platform-id or device-id for IGPU because it was automatically detected and used by macOS correctly.

Usually, we try to use a system definition that most closely matches the hardware that we are using. For example, if you are using i9-9900K, the iMac19,1 uses i9-9900K, so, in my opinion, it's a good choice.

Some people base their choice of system definitions on the GPU used. For example, some Vega users chose to use iMacPro1,1 because those systems used Vegas.

There's no rule that's written in stone for this. Use whichever you feel gives you the most stability.

As for iMac19,x using IGPU, Apple's iMac spec page shows IGPU being used:
View attachment 406100

I have found that 9th gen CPU users need to inject ig-platform-id because IGPU is not being detected automatically correctly in macOS 10.14.5. 8th gen CPU IGPUs don't seem to have this problem. I also had to remove WhateverGreen with macOS 10.14.5 for IGPU to work correctly.

With previous versions of Mojave, I didn't inject ig-platform-id or device-id for IGPU because it was automatically detected and used by macOS correctly.

Thanks that was helpful :) !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back