Contribute
Register

Updating FakeSMC [A Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, Installing MultiBeast 5.0.2 Mountain Lion FakeSMC motherboard plugins causes my system to get stuck on a white screen with an infinite spinner.
To repair I booted into the USB installer and used the Terminal within the installer to fix my system:

I removed all plugins like so:
Code:
rm -rf "/Volumes/Mountain Lion/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/*"
and wiped the caches like so:
Code:
rm -rf "/Volumes/Mountain Lion/System/Library/Caches/*"
And it is now booting again, however I still have no CPU temperatures (expected since I just removed the plugins that were supposed to provide them). I'll attempt to kextload the IntelCPUMonitor from the package on a live system, before I put to be loaded on boot. Maybe having only that one is fine.

Is this fixed in MultiBeast 5.1 now? :)

Is this fixed in MultiBeast 5.1 now? :)

Doesn't appear to be.. I just installed with 5.1.3 & now none of my system monitors are showing any info.

EDIT: Actually.. just had to uninstall HWMonitor & reinstall it. Seems like the FakeSMC stuff IS fixed.

Thanks for making this guide, captain Chibi-America :) I'm still on Lion, and found that there were a couple FakeSMC related files from R.01 hanging around. But what's worse is that when I updated my Multibeast it wouldn't overwrite any of the updated files with their R.02 equivalents.

Eventually sorted it out... here's a tip to anyone fooling around with FakeSMC.kext and rebooting without it in place: it can cause "still waiting for root device" errors at boot time. Once I got FakeSMC.kext reinstalled I was fine.

hello,
ive used this method to remove fakesmc.kext but when i went to replace it the file i couldnt find it. can i use a usb to move it back to extensions?

I think this might be the answer to my current problems. I hit a wall trying to install Mavericks over Lion and having KP's that seem to constellate around FakeSMC.Kext, but I had an idea:

As I consider your guide, I got to thinking that people like me who don't do terminal commands and could muck things up with a single mis-applied keystroke: I wondered if I could do this with the help of the finder so I pulled the drive out of my ailing hackintosh and jacked it into my MBP via one-a-them USB hard-drive adapters. All the files are right there in front of me, and I am contemplating moving the files this way.

I still have to figure out how to coax the new FakeSMC and associated kexts out of the new Multibeast, as this machine is not running Mavericks and the new MB gives an error message. (or find them elsewhere) I also think I have use the terminal to repair permissions and clear caches. (Yes? or can I just delete files that will rebuild at boot?)

Any input is greatly appreciated, and I will keep you posted of my progress.

Thanks~

I'm still on Lion, which I am fine with. Can I use the new MB for ML to install the latest fakesmc? I would assume all I'd have to do is check the fakesmc box and the plugins I wanted, and probably repair permissions.. right?

MultiBeast for ML will not run on Lion, as far as I know.

But if you want to install the latest FakeSMC with HWSensors, you can download it from the developer's site as a separate installer: http://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors/. The usual warnings apply about making a clone of your boot partition just in case something goes wrong.

What I know so far:

Ref.01
With legacy FakeSMC from circa MultiBeast 4.3.x you will end up with the following if you install FakeSMC and motherboard plugins only:
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/ACPIMonitor.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/IntelCPUMonitor.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/SuperIOFamily.kext

Ref.02
With FakeSMC from circa MultiBeast 4.6.x you will end up with the following if you install FakeSMC and motherboard plugins only:
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/ACPISensors.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/FintekF718x.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/IntelCPUMonitor.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/ITEIT87x.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/NSCPC8739x.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/NuvotonNCT677x.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/OemSMBIOS.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/WinbondW836x.kext

Ref.03
With FakeSMC from circa MultiBeast 5.2.x you will end up with the following if you install FakeSMC and motherboard plugins only:
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPISensors.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/FintekF718x.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IntelCPUMonitor.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ITEIT87x.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/NSCPC8739x.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/NuvotonNCT677x.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/OemSMBIOS.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/WinbondW836x.kext

Thanks for the guide! What I find puzzling is that if you look inside MultiBeast (Mavericks edition 6.0.1), then open FakeSMC-v5.3.820-Plugins.pkg with Pacifist, there are only 4 plugins listed:
Code:
ACPISensors.kext
CPUSensors.kext
GPUSensors.kext
LPCSensors.kext

Where did all those others you listed come from?

Something else that puzzles me...I usually keep FakeSMC updated on my system by downloading it from the developer's website (http://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors/). The latest version shown there is 6.0.997. But when I click "About HWMonitor" from the application's menu, it says I have 6.0.1000 installed. I have no idea what's going on there.

Hi guys! I'm very new and have the same problem....got Kernel Panic! Do I need to delete the fakeSMC.kext and it will boot again?

Attachments

• DSCF2630.jpg
    DSCF2630.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 277
Hi guys! I'm very new and have the same problem....got Kernel Panic! Do I need to delete the fakeSMC.kext and it will boot again?

You need to delete RadeonMonitor.kext (and perhaps other plugins belonging to the old FakeSMC). After removing any kext, don't forget to rebuild cache (or boot "-f")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back