Contribute
Register

Updating El Capitan -> Catalina with RX570

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using the latest Clover release I believe ( Clover UEFI Boot Mode with Emulated NVRAM v2.5k r5102 )
Would I still need to add the apfs.efi file before upgrading?
According to https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

I also saw something about removing the SMCHelper.efi - Would I need to address that?
Any BIOS Changes needed too?

Thanks

You should find apfs.efi already installed. UniBeast High Sierra does this, even earlier 4*** versions of Clover will include it. High Sierra can be installed in either HFS+ or APFS mode.

SMCHelper is there by design too unless you have a specific, relevant reason to remove it. I would leave alone.

:)

You should find apfs.efi already installed. UniBeast High Sierra does this, even earlier 4*** versions of Clover will include it. High Sierra can be installed in either HFS+ or APFS mode.

SMCHelper is there by design too unless you have a specific, relevant reason to remove it. I would leave alone.

I see. I guess since I am currently on El Capitan and have not used the HS UniBeast, that must be the case.
I will try this update as is and see what happens - I always have a backup to go to.

I see. I guess since I am currently on El Capitan and have not used the HS UniBeast, that must be the case.
I will try this update as is and see what happens - I always have a backup to go to.

Sorry. My bad. You can put apfs.efi in the UEFI folder in that case. (I was thinking of updating using a UniBeast installer USB rather than the direct, Apple, approach).

SMCHelper.efi I've never had a problem with.

Success! I think.
I am apparently able to boot to the new SSD into the HS 10.13.6 MacOS. :clap:
Apps seem to open and all is well...
I am noticing a software update that when I try to update, DLs the update, restarts the computer, finishes installing, boots up and then shows me that the same update is ready to be installed. So it seems to not install.

Security Update 2020-004 10.13.6
Security Update 2020-004 is recommended for all users and improves the security of MacOS.
For more information on the security content of this update see: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
Any idea about this or should I just not worry about it and move on to installing Catalina?

Also, what do I do about the additional drives that are now at the Clover boot screen? (filevault Prebooter, preboot & macOS Install)
I can't find them on the system or through disk utility.

Thanks for your help UtterDisbelief - so far, so good.

Success! I think.
I am apparently able to boot to the new SSD into the HS 10.13.6 MacOS. :clap:
Apps seem to open and all is well...
I am noticing a software update that when I try to update, DLs the update, restarts the computer, finishes installing, boots up and then shows me that the same update is ready to be installed. So it seems to not install.

Security Update 2020-004 10.13.6
Security Update 2020-004 is recommended for all users and improves the security of MacOS.
For more information on the security content of this update see: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
Any idea about this or should I just not worry about it and move on to installing Catalina?

Also, what do I do about the additional drives that are now at the Clover boot screen? (filevault Prebooter, preboot & macOS Install)
I can't find them on the system or through disk utility.

Thanks for your help UtterDisbelief - so far, so good.

Glad things are moving along at last. :thumbup:

No real need to install the Security Updates (2020-004 etc) unless you want to. There are reasons what they won't fully install and I don't want to bore you with them here - unless you ask.

The Prebooter options can be hidden using the config.plist and Clover Configurator to edit it:

Pre.png

Check with Disk Utility that your new High Sierra install is in APFS format and then you will know your work has been successful.

So, after running some more tests, software updates, etc. and checking for compatibility and stability, I made and other backup and proceeded to move on to installing Catalina. This process was much easier since apparently most of the required upgrades and configurations were already made for High Sierra.

Basically, installed straight away and works like a charm...with the minor exceptions of a few software compatibility issues, which are no big deal and easily fixed, updated or apps removed/uninstalled.

I am also surprised to see that I have not needed to replace my nVidia GTX 650TI graphics card to the RX570 after reading all about nVidia no longer being supported in newer Mac OS's. I guess I can return that since I only got it thinking I needed an ATI graphics card to run Catalina.

In conclusion, I will be running more software tests and making sure I am solid on Catalina 10.15.6. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, please voice them. I will post another update once I have a clear road ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back