Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO
CPU
i5-4670K OC 4.5 GHz
Graphics
GTX 780, HD 530
How do I update Clover EFI bootloader without messing up my system?

Should i go through the default installation options or customize? If customize, what options should I select?

Thanks!

How do I update Clover EFI bootloader without messing up my system?

Should i go through the default installation options or customize? If customize, what options should I select?
Customize.

Mount your EFI partition and look in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ and make a note of the drivers that you have installed. When you run the Clover installer only select the drivers that you currently have.

Most people only need :
ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi (or apfs.efi)
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
HFSPlus.efi (or vboxhfs-64-efi)

Clover installer should pick up all of the other options from your previous installation.

first of all, i just want to mention that my EFI folder is copied from the guide, don't know if that makes any difference.

The clover updater by default selects install clover for legacy boot.

Now i understand that I have to change that, and select
-Install Clover for UEFI
-Install in ESP
and update the UEFI drivers as needed, correct?

Now what about Install RC scripts on target volume?

I read somewhere that

"A common case for failed install is if you already have Clover installed and did not clear nvram before install. To solve:
Open terminal and type nvram -c
Install Clover again."

Is this really necessary for updating Clover on an existing, working hackintosh?

I read somewhere that

"A common case for failed install is if you already have Clover installed and did not clear nvram before install. To solve:
Open terminal and type nvram -c
Install Clover again."

Is this really necessary for updating Clover on an existing, working hackintosh?
No. At least, I never have on my 77/Z87/X99 builds or on the Asus laptop. I just run the latest Clover installer and it updates the Clover boot loader while leaving my config.plist and kext folders alone.

what options do you select? I still don't understand what is "Install RC scripts on target volume".

what options do you select? I still don't understand what is "Install RC scripts on target volume".
See https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Installation - it describes what each section of the Clover installer does.
What I select depends on the system on which I am installing Clover - you need to customize for what your system NEEDS, not just blindly pick at random. I would encourage you to learn your hardware and what it needs from Clover to function properly.

Install RC scripts on target volume - These are the scripts rc.local and rc.shutdown.local that are executed while starting and while exiting OS X. They play a necessary role in the concept of Clover. You may not install them if you have no plans to use Clover (what are you doing here anyway then?).

I still don't have a clue what this means. what is rc.local and rc.shutdown.local? and when should i select this when updating clover, and when should i not select this?

Im having an issue when trying to Update the clover bootloader.

I open clover, mount my EFI partition and open the config.plist file
I then go to install update clover, download the update. When the installer opens its defaulted to legacy options not matching my files. and it says install under the Actions column. the screenshots i've seen show the installer window with the word Update in the Actions column, indicating that clover picked up on whats already installed. I don't want to go forward until i know i'm updating/installing the proper EFI files.

Im having an issue when trying to Update the clover bootloader.

I open clover, mount my EFI partition and open the config.plist file
I then go to install update clover, download the update. When the installer opens its defaulted to legacy options not matching my files. and it says install under the Actions column. the screenshots i've seen show the installer window with the word Update in the Actions column, indicating that clover picked up on whats already installed. I don't want to go forward until i know i'm updating/installing the proper EFI files.
The easiest way to update Clover is to download the latest version and just run the installer package. Your preferences, config.plist and extra kexts files and such will not be touched. It will only install (update) the actual Clover boot files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back