Graphics
Nvidia GTX 670 FTW
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just built my girlfriend a computer, using many of the same components I have in my Hackintosh. That's about the time I realized there was a new bios (F4) when my motherboard is still on F2.

This is my first Hackintosh (and before that I was solid Mac) so I'm unfamiliar with the process. From what I understand, I download the new firmware, put it on a FAT32 formatted USB key, restart my computer and go into the bios. From there I can do the update, right?

Is there anything I need to run on the OS-side of things? Will I need to re-run Multibeast or am I good? My instinct is that I should be fine but... Paranoia. Also, is there really any reason to update, aside from the less gaudy splash screen?

Thanks for the assist!

Really? No one?

I just built my girlfriend a computer, using many of the same components I have in my Hackintosh. That's about the time I realized there was a new bios (F4) when my motherboard is still on F2.

This is my first Hackintosh (and before that I was solid Mac) so I'm unfamiliar with the process. From what I understand, I download the new firmware, put it on a FAT32 formatted USB key, restart my computer and go into the bios. From there I can do the update, right?

Is there anything I need to run on the OS-side of things? Will I need to re-run Multibeast or am I good? My instinct is that I should be fine but... Paranoia. Also, is there really any reason to update, aside from the less gaudy splash screen?

Thanks for the assist!

There's nothing you should do after the update, except if you're using the PJALM's DSDT patches, in this case you'll have to re-patch you DSDT.
The update process is simple, just copy the file on a flash drive, then go to QFlash in BIOS and follow the instructions.

The update process is simple, just copy the file on a flash drive, then go to QFlash in BIOS and follow the instructions.

Keep in mind the firmware is a self-extracting EXE which you have to run in Windows, which I did in a Win 7 Virtualbox VM. Putting the EXE on the USB stick will you give an "incorrect file size" or some such error.

There are a few new features in the F4 BIOS which are hard to find details about. I think it was Chimera however that, with F4, didn't like the USB card reader in my Dell monitor, and I had to disable it in several places in the BIOS to prevent the boot loader from checking it (the error "EBIOS read error: Error 0x31" delayed startup a few seconds but wasn't critical).

Since the F4 DSDT isn't in the tonymacx86.com database, I took philip's advice and used MaciASL and the PJALM patches. I lost my nice audio interface layout however, that I had with this site's F2 DSDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back