Contribute
Register

Updating Big Sur Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
@IAmSpectre
Okay, if I understood you correctly, the disk with macOS boots well with 0.6.6 and 0.6.9. But the USB stick does NOT boot well with 0.6.9.

What can you do now? In my opinion:
  • you have to use a different USB stick
  • delete the Big Sur app from the Applications folder
  • download Big Sur again (you can find it in the App Store)
  • create the USB from scratch
  • mount the EFI partition and copy the EFI 0.6.9 folder into it (you can get @Edhawk EFI or mine)
  • boot up and do ResetNVRAM the first time.
You already know how to create the USB:
  • from Disk Utility choose the device in the upper level (not the volume that exists inside the USB)
  • erase
  • GUID as partition scheme and HFS + as file system
  • open terminal and write
    sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB
    (assuming the USB stick is named USB).
Check in BIOS:
  • CSM: Disabled> Important!
  • CFG Lock: Disabled (if exists)> Important!
  • VT-d: Disabled VT-d: Disabled
  • Platform Power Management: Disabled
  • Secure Boot: Disabled
  • Fast Boot: Disabled
  • XHCI Hand-Off: Disabled
  • Network Stack: Disabled
  • OS Type: Windows 8/10
  • Wake on LAN: Disabled
  • Integrated Graphics: Disabled for iMacPro1,1
  • Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 256M or higher.
@Middleman
You see what the problem is, from the macOS disk the EFIs work fine but from the USB stick they do not run.

Note: in my BIOS there is not any Serial Port or SuperIO entry.

Okay I had a look at your EFI folder compared to my Z490 Big Sur 11.3 OC 0.6.9 build. Seems you had a few settings differ from my configuration:

-SSDT-HPET was disabled
-SetupVirtualMap was enabled
- XHCIPortlimit disabled
- Used USBMaps.kext instead of USBPorts.kext (USBPorts.kext seems to work better IMO)
- All device properties were removed
- AppleCpuPmCfgLock & AppleXcpmCfgLock were enabled
- CustomSMBIOSGuid was enabled
- XHCIPortLimit was disabled
- Kernel_Arch was set to X86_64
-SecureBoot was set to Default (instead of Disabled for better chances of booting in)
-EnableVectorAcceleration was enabled

Anyways I've enclosed the revised EFI. Give it a try
Not sure what did it but the EFI you sent me worked like a charm! I was able to boot USB installer, complete the installation and update it to 11.4!
So did you use one of the posted EFI's that I posted or one from @miliuco or @Edhawk?
I was starting to think there was an issue with the drives internally or a bad installer. My original 0.6.9 EFI will boot the newly installed drive but would not complete an installation.

I want to thank everyone that helped out here with this issue and get it resolved. Not sure what the issue was or what change fixed it.
Thanks again everyone!
Both EFI folders are for you, @Edhawk 's and mine. I'm glad the problem is solved. Sometimes these things are hard to find.
Now that you have valid 0.6.9 EFI, we can improve a couple of things.
  • One is the USBMap file. Do the USB ports work fine? The USB3 and the USB2 each type at the correct speed?
  • Another is the Windows entry in the picker. Do you have 2 different entries, one before macOS and one after, and both start the same Windows?

Both EFI folders are for you, @Edhawk 's and mine. I'm glad the problem is solved. Sometimes these things are hard to find.
Now that you have valid 0.6.9 EFI, we can improve a couple of things.
  • One is the USBMap file. Do the USB ports work fine? The USB3 and the USB2 each type at the correct speed?
  • Another is the Windows entry in the picker. Do you have 2 different entries, one before macOS and one after, and both start the same Windows?
I will have to do some testing still. I am using my original EFI to boot the new install and everything seems to be working. I will test both of your EFI folders but @Middleman EFI boots the install USB and the new 11.4 just fine, some USB's and sound don't work. so i will need to look at that to see what is missing. Thanks again

Not sure what did it but the EFI you sent me worked like a charm! I was able to boot USB installer, complete the installation and update it to 11.4!
So did you use one of the posted EFI's that I posted or one from @miliuco or @Edhawk?
I was starting to think there was an issue with the drives internally or a bad installer. My original 0.6.9 EFI will boot the newly installed drive but would not complete an installation.
That’s great to hear! :thumbup: FYI I used miliuco’s 2nd one as a base iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back