Graphics
Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys, this is my first post on here! I used this forum to build the Mac mini using all of the recommended equipment as well. That was about 3 years ago. It's been unstoppable so far! Unstoppable, except for now all of my apps are basically unsupported and I am forced to try to update my OS. I have a few questions regarding what I should do/how I should go about doing it.

• Which OS should I upgrade to?
    • My specs are exactly as what is in the recommended Mac mini build: Intel Core i3, Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, a PCI slot for wireless internet, terabyte HDD, etc.
  • How would I go about doing that? Since it's been about 3 years that I've even thought about messing with the BIOS or any Kernels or things of the like, I'm pretty stinkin' rusty. I need help!
  • What are the risks I'll be taking by upgrading to another OS? Will I lose apps? Photos?

Any help is greatly appreciated, fellow Hackintoshers.

Hey guys, this is my first post on here! I used this forum to build the Mac mini using all of the recommended equipment as well. That was about 3 years ago. It's been unstoppable so far! Unstoppable, except for now all of my apps are basically unsupported and I am forced to try to update my OS. I have a few questions regarding what I should do/how I should go about doing it.

• Which OS should I upgrade to?
    • My specs are exactly as what is in the recommended Mac mini build: Intel Core i3, Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, a PCI slot for wireless internet, terabyte HDD, etc.
  • How would I go about doing that? Since it's been about 3 years that I've even thought about messing with the BIOS or any Kernels or things of the like, I'm pretty stinkin' rusty. I need help!
  • What are the risks I'll be taking by upgrading to another OS? Will I lose apps? Photos?

Any help is greatly appreciated, fellow Hackintoshers.
You could just download the 10.8.5 update (combo) and install it. Or upgrade to a newer version, but since El Capitan is the only available version to download from the App Store, you are fairly stuck with it unless you have a friend with the Mavericks or Yosemite install app download you can get a copy of.
Suggested procedure (leaves your current system intact).
Get a new SSD - it will be faster than a platter drive for a boot drive
Use CCC or SuperDuper to clone your drive to the SSD
Create a Clover test drive USB - http://www.tonymacx86.com/bootloaders/127134-test-drive-how-create-clover-usb.html and verify you can boot the SSD from it.
Download the Install OS X El Capitan.app from the App Store and run it. Reboot.
Test drive El Capitan for a few days before trying to move your apps over from the ML drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back