Contribute
Register

Updated Z68AP D2 B3 to UEFI but no resolution of sleep issues & a weird graphics consequence :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z68AP-D2-B3 (Revision 2)
CPU
i5 2500K
Graphics
1GB DDR 3 MSI R6450
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've updated the BIOS on my rev 2 Z68AP D2 B3 to UEFI as I heard the EFI upgrade itself may help solve some of the sleep problems I've never managed to put right. Everything initially seemed to go OK and I now have a fully functioning/accessible UEFI instead of the old BIOS, but it still doesn't seem to have made any difference. If anything, it seems to have adversely affected my graphics card (it's now reported as an "AMD Radeon HD 6xxx 1024 MB" instead of the proper "AMD Radeon HD 6450 1024 MB" it used to show), and DVD player crashes even though I appear to have full QE/CI as evidenced by the ripple effect when adding widgets in dashboard.

My chameleon.boot.plist entries are unchanged @:

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Juncus</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

and I've been through lots of the settings in the UEFI to see if that changes anything but with no luck as yet.
Is there anything other I should have done post-update?

I've messed around with the above chameleon file as far as I am able to and switched GraphicsEnabler on and off, but nothing has made any difference.

Do I have to run AppleRTC and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement in the latest MB? I'm asking because I've read conflicting reports on this and don't want any KPs while this machine seems pretty solid apart from the above issues.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Cheers
P

Junkus is probably not being loaded. Open IORegistryExplored and search for ATY. If you do not see Junkus then it loaded the default Radeon Framebuffer which causes DVD to crash. If that is the case then you may need to find another Framebuffer for your card.

Thanks, Khan, I'll give that a go as I saved a list of compatible framebuffers when I first tried to get it going.
Cheers
P

Junkus is probably not being loaded. Open IORegistryExplored and search for ATY. If you do not see Junkus then it loaded the default Radeon Framebuffer which causes DVD to crash. If that is the case then you may need to find another Framebuffer for your card.

I've just tried all the following framebuffers:

Pithecia
Bulrushes
Cattail
Hydrilla
Duckweed
Fanwort
Elodea
Kudzu
Gibba
Lotus
Ipomoea
Muskgrass
Juncus
Osmunda
Alopias
Alouatta
Baboon
Cardinal
and
Caretta

but to no avail.

All give me: ioreg | grep ATY
| | | | +-o ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer@0 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002e8, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (4363 ms), retain 8>
| | | | +-o ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer@1 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002e9, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 8>
| | | | +-o ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer@2 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000002ea, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 8>

I even tried AtiConfig=Knobcheese for good measure, but still no luck. :p :(

I might try them all again preceded by GraphicsEnabler=No, but I really don't hold out much hope as it seems weird that updating my BIOS to UEFI would affect this.

Thanks for the help, though.

Cheers
P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back