Contribute
Register

[Updated] wildwillow's Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-OC - i7-4770K - HD4600+GT 640

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Matthias,

So you have the 760 installed and half the amount of ram, you are currently using 2 x 8GB in the correct dual channels? What options have you selected in MultiBeast and how have you set your BIOS? for example, HDD/SSD boot priority, graphics priority. Chimera can not boot UEFI, it has to be legacy, So either P0 or P1 for your installation drive.

Hey thanks for your quick response.
Yes for the RAM Sticks.
I selected the same options for Multibeast and Bios like you suggested in the guide.
Except for the graphics priority I think.
To make sure here is my boot priority:
IMG_1376.jpg
And here my graphics priority:
IMG_1377.jpg

Hey thanks for your quick response.
Yes for the RAM Sticks.
I selected the same options for Multibeast

The BIOS settings are correct, but if you are not using the onboard Intel graphics then you need to set IGPEnabler to No in your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist. I use both the Nvidia and Intel, but I assume you are using only the discrete (760).

The BIOS settings are correct, but if you are not using the onboard Intel graphics then you need to set IGPEnabler to No in your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist. I use both the Nvidia and Intel, but I assume you are using only the discrete (760).

Yes thats correct. Okay thanks, I totally forgot about that. Only thing is, there is no bootlist.
Should i create one with the Chameleon Wizard App?

Yes thats correct. Okay thanks, I totally forgot about that. Only thing is, there is no bootlist.
Should i create one with the Chameleon Wizard App?

If you are using/running MultiBeast it will create one for you. You can add IGPEnabler=No under Customize>Boot Options.

If you are using/running MultiBeast it will create one for you. You can add IGPEnabler=No under Customize>Boot Options.

Thanks alot that worked!!! With how much ram does your buid run at the moment? Is there anything i have to keep in mind before adding the other 16 gb?

Thanks alot that worked!!! With how much ram does your buid run at the moment? Is there anything i have to keep in mind before adding the other 16 gb?

It has 16GB - 4x4GB. You'll just have to insert the extra ram and see how it goes. I haven't had any problems running 4 sticks. Leave everything in the BIOS concerning memory profiles to default. Get your system stable before trying different voltages or profiles.

wildwillow,

I have a Z87x-UD5H and can say without a doubt that 14,1 or 14,2 is the best thing for 10.10. I can't explain why but it runs better and I haven't had one issues on 10.10 at 14,1. Before I change the definition I would get these freezes every so often but now it runs like a dream.

For others who would like to know this board can handle 2400mhz memory and I have 8gbsx2 sticks running at 2400mhz like a corvett. It is fast, very fast..

My Specs:

GA-Z87x-UD5H
Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB X2 non-raid (can't tell you why I didn't run it raid I just didn't)
Western Digital WD10EFRX 1TB x 4
Western Digital WD20EADS 2TB x1
GTX 660 x2 cards
Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.5 GHZ
Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H80i
16GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-19200 2400MHz Trident X Series CL10
Fractal Design Define R4 (The Best Case EVER!!! and Heaviest I have had to pickup and fastest)

I don't use onboard audio, I use M-Audio C400 USB

I use this for Audio Production with Pro Tools 10 and 11, Reason 7, Akai MPC Software with Akai Studio, Nexus 2 with most of their expansions, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5...You name it I got it. Paid a ton of $$$ in the past two years getting all of this setup. They all run great and OS X is the bomb, hackintosh forever!!!

I have this feeling that Apple will be releasing true support for IBM PCs because they are making a killing with the App Store...

In my case, with a GTX 760 and a GA-Z87MX-D3H, the freeze were gone (4x8GB) and they came back when I switched to a Dell UP2414Q (4K, 30Hz).
Switching back from Web drivers to Apple drivers solved the problem. Of course, the idling of the video card is lost, it stays at 1GHz/6GHz, but the fan is not spinning fast, so no real issue.

In my case the hangs were there with iMac14,2 or MacMini6,2 or MacPro3,1, it didn't matter. The Apple drivers solved the problem.

Hello wildwillow,

I never got Mavericks working without the random freezing so I'm about to try to reinstall it and/or update to Yosemite. There isnt anything useful on the drive so I dont need to preserve anything.

Quick questions
0 would you recommend attempting Mav again or just go to Yosemite?

1 Before I install Mav (again) are there steps I need to take to prep the drive (which isnt brand new now)?

2 If I go with Yosemite should I follow your clean install or update procedures?

If these questions have already been addressed please point me in the right direction.

Others feel free to comment if you know the answers :)

Thanks!
Bob

Hello wildwillow,

I never got Mavericks working without the random freezing so I'm about to try to reinstall it and/or update to Yosemite. There isnt anything useful on the drive so I dont need to preserve anything.

Quick questions
0 would you recommend attempting Mav again or just go to Yosemite?

I would go for Yosemite but thats my personal preference. If there are features that you will use in Yosemite then its an easy decision, if you are happy with Mavericks features then stay with Mavericks, I like both but Yosemite has some great additional features, with the new Photos app being released in later updates.

Before I install Mav (again) are there steps I need to take to prep the drive (which isnt brand new now)?

If you reinstall Mavericks then a full format would be a wise option. If there is anything that you would like to keep, back it up first as it will save you downloading it after the install.

If I go with Yosemite should I follow your clean install or update procedures?

Either guide will work for you, I used the guide from the top of page, remember if you upgrade to take the steps documented. I'm not sure if your audio codec and ethernet are the same, but you will know this already as you are using a different motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back