CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD4600
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hello!

I attempted a vanilla installation of Mohave 10.14.2 and realized that I could not get the system running via MultiBeast with the same ease as it was the case on earlier systems and ended up "hacking" together a system from old EFI folder, which left me with slight unease.

Then I tried to build up a system from the ground up, trying to use as little settings in config.plist and as little kexts as possible with the aim to arrive at a minimalist setup, which I would understand and not dread every macOS update. This post seemed to offer a modern approach.

I got this far:

INSTALLATION
1. Installation of Mohave via USB, created with UniBeast into APFS partition
2. Installation of clover from developer site into EFI partition.
3. FakeSMC.kext into CLOVER/kexts/Other
4. CsmVideoDxe-64.efi into CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (for 2560 x 1440 resolution in Clover)
5. AptioMemoryFix-64.efi into CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (no boot without it)
6. AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext, WhateverGreen.kext into Library/Extensions/ (for video and sound)
7. FakePCIID.kext, FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext (for USB 3.0 but did not get this to work)

SETTINGS
8. Turned on SSD TRIM via trimforce command.
9. changed GFX0 to IGPU
10. Dropped MATS tables
11. Used FB-Patcher to determine settings video for Device section and raise VRAM to 2048.
12. Used FB-Patcher to create sound patch for Device section.

So far so good. System boots, video and sound works.

I got stuck at the USB 3.0 port creation via FB-Patcher. I tried to these and these guides and I think I got some basic understanding what is necessary. However when I try to do, with USBInjectAll.kext in CLOVER/kexts/Other
- Clover Rename XHC1 -> XHC
- Clover Rename EHC1 -> EH01
- Clover Rename EHC2 -> EH02

My system does not boot up anymore. FB-Patcher also does not seem to recognize, when I plugin devices.
Any advice?

The procedure is quite complex from what I gather, so If someone created a USBports.kext, could you maybe share it?

If you like, please have a look and use the attached config.plist. Any advice if I missed some patch, deleted too much or got the settings wrong are most welcome.

Thank you!

Attachments

Motherboard
GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD4600
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I got USB 3.0 running again on all ports.
Switched to VirtualSMC.kext in the wibe of "modern and lean" system - works fine so far.

All it takes are 6 kexts and a minimal config.plist.
I have deepest respect from all the developers - thank you so much!

I tried to create a custom USBPorts.kext following every guide I could find but failed.
USBInjectAll.kext and a port limit patch for 10.14.2, FB-Patcher ... it did not work for me either way.

In the end, it was simply placing FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext into L/E and removing all patches from ACPI DSDT. That includes GFX0 to IGPU since whatevergreen.kext does not seem to need it. Also no port limit patch.

And suddenly all internal and external ports were running as they should at usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 speeds.

This thread does not seem to get much attention anymore, but if there is someone who could help me out with one last fix: the system does not sleep as it should. It enters sleep states and wakes up immediately afterward. I researched the topic and it seems that the power management seems to be applied to the USB ports via a custom file - the very thing I just failed at.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Also thanks a lot for the support of the forum members over the years for this system.
It still runs like a charm and is a joy.

Motherboard
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770
Graphics
GTX 970 + HD 4600
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
I got USB 3.0 running again on all ports.
Switched to VirtualSMC.kext in the wibe of "modern and lean" system - works fine so far.

All it takes are 6 kexts and a minimal config.plist.
I have deepest respect from all the developers - thank you so much!

I tried to create a custom USBPorts.kext following every guide I could find but failed.
USBInjectAll.kext and a port limit patch for 10.14.2, FB-Patcher ... it did not work for me either way.

In the end, it was simply placing FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext into L/E and removing all patches from ACPI DSDT. That includes GFX0 to IGPU since whatevergreen.kext does not seem to need it. Also no port limit patch.

And suddenly all internal and external ports were running as they should at usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 speeds.

This thread does not seem to get much attention anymore, but if there is someone who could help me out with one last fix: the system does not sleep as it should. It enters sleep states and wakes up immediately afterward. I researched the topic and it seems that the power management seems to be applied to the USB ports via a custom file - the very thing I just failed at.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Also thanks a lot for the support of the forum members over the years for this system.
It still runs like a charm and is a joy.
Hi, @ColdCross. Post your EFI folder, and I will try to reproduce your system ASAP. I've a machine with your motherboard to test it.

Motherboard
GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD4600
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
With latest Clover from main branch and kexts to go in Library/Extensions.
Please be sure to remove all other kexts, expecially since VirtualSMC.kext is used.

drivers64UEFI of clover contains also:
DataHubDxe-64.efi (not sure about function, system works without)
FSInject-64.efi (not sure about function, system works without)
AudioDxe-64.efi (was a test from latest clover)

This setup is for IGPU.
System enters sleep state, but wakes up instantly again.
The system used to enter sleep correctly on Sierra.

Attachments

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 950
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
With latest Clover from main branch and kexts to go in Library/Extensions.
Please be sure to remove all other kexts, expecially since VirtualSMC.kext is used.

drivers64UEFI of clover contains also:
DataHubDxe-64.efi (not sure about function, system works without)
FSInject-64.efi (not sure about function, system works without)
AudioDxe-64.efi (was a test from latest clover)

This setup is for IGPU.
System enters sleep state, but wakes up instantly again.
The system used to enter sleep correctly on Sierra.
I have a working SSDT USB for the same motherboard if you need I can upload it for you.

Motherboard
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770
Graphics
GTX 970 + HD 4600
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
I have a working SSDT USB for the same motherboard if you need I can upload it for you
Thanks please upload it.
Upload also your complete EFI folder if is not a problem.

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD4600
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Have you tried?
Thank you tsrattan for sharing your EFI folder.

I tried to simply replace it with mine, as the config.plist was a bit too complex for me to understand and to apply it to my setup. I went back to FakeSMC.kext... but the system did not boot up at all.

Does your system go to sleep properly?
What MacOS are you on?

I will try later on to use your SSDTs folder and somehow to merge it manually with my setup,
but my knowledge ends unfortunately quite quickly on this one.

The system is running good, USB 3.0 on full speeds, GFX acceleration works, everything smooth, bluetooth hands-off and wifi thanks to native card.... so no real complaining.

The only "issue" is the sleep.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 950
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank you tsrattan for sharing your EFI folder.

I tried to simply replace it with mine, as the config.plist was a bit too complex for me to understand and to apply it to my setup. I went back to FakeSMC.kext... but the system did not boot up at all.

Does your system go to sleep properly?
What MacOS are you on?

I will try later on to use your SSDTs folder and somehow to merge it manually with my setup,
but my knowledge ends unfortunately quite quickly on this one.

The system is running good, USB 3.0 on full speeds, GFX acceleration works, everything smooth, bluetooth hands-off and wifi thanks to native card.... so no real complaining.

The only "issue" is the sleep.
I am using Mojave, and it sleeps properly. Only one USB port next to SATA was disabled to bring it under 15 port limit.