Contribute
Register

[Updated] wildwillow's Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-OC - i7-4770K - HD4600+GT 640

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello wildwillow,

I have z87x-OC, i7 4770K, RX 480 and I'm asking for your help in terms of installation/post-installation.

I'm sorry to ask you to spend your time on a noob like myself, but I can't seem to dig enough info on my own. So please help me to be a happy macOS user or link me to some resources that might help me succeed in my quest.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm trying to do what I can myself, I'll make a list of questions as I go and post them, so I'm not asking for a full in-depth guide since this thread already contains a lot of info.

Last edited:
Hi tofubrain,
I'm not running El Capitan at present but very similar macOS Sierra using the same USB configuration as you. With FakePCIID.kext/FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and GenericUSBXHCI.kext installed in /L/E. The picture that you posted is the exact same as my System Report>USB output here.
I have 1xUSB3.0 - 3xUSB2.0 on the front of my case. The USB3.0 port works connected to the Renesas Hub.
View attachment 213024
If I were you I'd remove the EHCx->EH0x rename in your DSDT whilst using FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and see how this works for you. My USB3.0 Hub shows the Renesas chipset, looking in IOReg they are serviced by FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, revealing the six rear ports as SSP1-SSP6 when connected. There are only 2xUSB3.0/2.0 Intel ports from the internal motherboard headers. Take a look at the internal USB 3.0 motherboard headers here, I've added the arrows for the connections
View attachment 213025
I know that the USB3.0 on the front of the case are connected to Renesas for 2 reasons, 1) it shows in the System Report USB screen shot and 2) I'm not connected the Intel port on the motherboard.

Thanks for the speedy reply WW! I'm happy to report back by switching the connection on the mobo to Renesas connectors one of the front USB3 port now works! However the other one of the two doesn't pickup the drive at all, not sure why but I'll cash out while I can.
Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 14.06.40.png

Also it appears that I've not actually made EHCx->EH0x rename DSDT changes... my DSDT folder under ACPI / EFI/ seems empty (pic attached) would this have made any difference?
Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 12.53.14.png

Thank you for your help! hope this also helps others who's also experiencing the same issue.

Hello wildwillow,

I have z87x-OC, i7 4770K, RX 480 and I'm asking for your help in terms of installation/post-installation.

I'm sorry to ask you to spend your time on a noob like myself, but I can't seem to dig enough info on my own. So please help me to be a happy macOS user or link me to some resources that might help me succeed in my quest.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm trying to do what I can myself, I'll make a list of questions as I go and post them, so I'm not asking for a full in-depth guide since this thread already contains a lot of info.
Hi inaCUMB,
Welcome to the forums. The best install guide for macOS sierra is here UniBeast: Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC. In terms of installation, creating a UniBeast installer will make this initial install much simpler for you. The great news in terms of compatibility is the UniBeast default system definition has changed to iMac 14,2 which suits our hardware. Using the UniBeast guide and installing with the integrated graphics (HD4600) will get you the best start. Be aware that the RX480 has some niggles but can work using the IGPU as primary boot once installed. Read the install guide over and get familiar with it. Once the install begins take a look over at this thread regarding the newer AMD cards in general : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-sierra-pb-need-testers-for-new-amd-radeon-drivers.197273/
Any questions fire away. I'll answer when I can.

Thanks for the speedy reply WW! I'm happy to report back by switching the connection on the mobo to Renesas connectors one of the front USB3 port now works! However the other one of the two doesn't pickup the drive at all, not sure why but I'll cash out while I can.
Thanks for reporting back with a positive result. Glad it helped. shame that I only have one USB3.0 port on the front but I guess using the same technique to enable USB we would both be in the boat.
Also it appears that I've not actually made EHCx->EH0x rename DSDT changes... my DSDT folder under ACPI / EFI/ seems empty (pic attached) would this have made any difference?
Remember if you followed the guide to rename USB in your DSDT, that patches can be applied through the DSDT/Patches section of the config.plist and not part of an extracted system DSDT. Not saying that you have, yet it could be worth taking a look at your config.plist with a plist editor of your choice.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I got everything working, Sierra runs perfectly so far. Except for one thing, I can't get my RX480 DP/HDMI audio to work, so maybe you have any advice on that?

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I got everything working, Sierra runs perfectly so far. Except for one thing, I can't get my RX480 DP/HDMI audio to work, so maybe you have any advice on that?

Thanks again for your help.
Good job, glad you've managed to install. For AMD HDMI audio, go to toleda's guide here Audio - HDMI Audio AppleHDA [Guide]. Download audio_cloverHDMI-120.command.
Open Applications/Terminal and type :
Code:
diskutil list
Jot down your installation drive EFI partition, i.e /dev/disk0s1
Mount your EFI partition using EFI Mounter v3
Double click on audio_cloverHDMI-120.command and answer y/n questions.
Once complete restart required.

I used ONYX on the Sierra update from El Capitan to clean the system and the spotlight is now broken - it never finishes and uses a quarter of the CPU.
http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

I tried this link, but was not successful:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/254039/spotlight-borked-after-macos-sierra-update

I try to run the machine overnight, maybe it will finish.

Would like to avoid re-install, so I might live with it until the .1 update of Sierra.

Anyone else encountered this issue?
If so, is there a solution?

Thank you in advance!

I used ONYX on the Sierra update from El Capitan to clean the system and the spotlight is now broken - it never finishes and uses a quarter of the CPU.
http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

I tried this link, but was not successful:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/254039/spotlight-borked-after-macos-sierra-update

I try to run the machine overnight, maybe it will finish.

Would like to avoid re-install, so I might live with it until the .1 update of Sierra.

Anyone else encountered this issue?
If so, is there a solution?

Thank you in advance!
Why did you try a non tonymacx86.com method. We hope this site hasn't let you down.ONYX isn't supported here and likely your posts will be removed. Even when I've not updated I've provided a working method.

ONYX is a Mac utility which has been around for years, and I use it on both my Macs and Hacks.. It's does not conflict with the TMX methods. :thumbup:

Hello Wildwillow,

thank you for the reply.

I am sorry, but I do not understand your post entirely. This site and especially your advice, as well as your generosity of providing your EFI folder for the Clover installation has been incredible helpful, allowing me to run a hackintosh very smoothly for almost 2 years from Yosemite to Sierra.

I updated from El Capitan to Sierra via the tonymacx86.com method and it worked flawlessly as I reported in an earlier post.

Onyx is a tool to run maintenance scripts and to cleans caches. I have been using it on macs and on this hack since Yosemite, without problems. I do not think I was asking for support with that particular tool, I was rather illustrating how the issues started and as a potential warning to others who may use it in the latest version on the current version of Sierra. I apologise if that came out the wrong way.

There seem to be reports on regular macs having the same issues with spotlight indexing forever after an update from El Capitan to Sierra, so the issue might not have anything to do with either the tool, or the fact that it runs on a hackintosh. In on case it was 8 hours on an 256GB SSD PCI drive MacBook Pro.

I will let the indexing run over night, maybe this will be a temporar fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back