Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Has anyone dissected the U1L UEFI (updated 8Mar13) to determine what was changed from the previous 12Jun12 release or successfully flashed their bios?

Well, my rear USB 3 ports still don't work.

I took a leap of faith and updated the UEFI BIOS on my GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 this morning (to the new U1c version), and I can't really see anything different other than a few menus changed in the BIOS setup. Everything still works as it did before.

I did have some trouble getting the new BIOS updated, since as it turns out, you can't use the DOS utility that downloads with the BIOS update to go from one UEFI BIOS version to another (you can only use it to go from legacy BIOS to UEFI). You have to use the onboard Q-Flash utility to update the UEFI BIOS, and it apparently only recognizes EFI drives (so it couldn't see my USB flash drive). I ended up having to boot back into Mac OS X, mount the EFI partition of my boot drive and copy the BIOS update to that partition, which is the only one Q-Flash could see.

Please nobodynose,
can you explain in more detail?
thank's

The Q-Flash utility is a utility built in to the BIOS for flashing new BIOS versions. It's supposed to be able to read the new BIOS version from a USB flash drive, but apparently if you have a UEFI BIOS installed already it can only read from EFI devices; namely any hard drives you have in the system. Each drive has an approximately 250MB hidden reserved partition called the "EFI partition"; this is the one that Q-Flash can read from. So you have to copy the new BIOS file to it before running Q-Flash.

To do this, mount the EFI partition as follows (THESE INSTRUCTIONS ASSUME YOU ARE USING YOUR BOOT DRIVE'S EFI PARTITION) from a Terminal window:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/efi (to create a mount point to mount the partition on)

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi

Now you can copy the BIOS update file to the EFI partition, which will have appeared on your desktop. After doing so, unmount the EFI partition:

sudo umount /Volumes/efi

Now you can reboot your Hackintosh, hit the Del key at the right moment to bring up the BIOS configuration, and then hit the F8 key to start the Q-Flash utility. From there you should be able to figure it out.

Thanks, you were very didactic in its explanation. Very good!

After applying the new UEFI-bios was necessary to generate a new SSDT table?

Thank you!

Not in my case - my existing SSDT is working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back