Contribute
Register

updated to Mojave, no quick look or preview jpg, help AMD rx 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with Pastrychef. Change the SN and UUID to match the Mac and it should be ok. Another or additional fix, is many, including myself, noticed that preview doesn't work if you don't have the Intel graphics active in bios settings. You can still use the external video card as your main display, but Apple appears to look for the Intel graphics on the MB to render jpegs and previews.

OK, now I'm a bit confused about NVRAM. Does the terminal code still work to test if the MB has NVRAM? The thread was from 2016:

sudo nvram TestVar=HelloWorld

Reboot

sudo nvram -p | grep 'TestVar'

Other posts suggests it's BIOS dependent.

Or should I just rerun Multibeast and choose Bootloaders > UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM? As a reminder, I'm using a GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X board. Thanks.

Last edited:
Probably easiest method is to create a usb installer with the appropriate uefi and nvram options, then copy the folder structure to the ssd efi partition.

So, I did the NVRAM test from terminal and it suggested my MB has no NVRAM. So I ran Multibeast and installed it. Logged in to iCloud and Messages seems to be working just fine. Fingers crossed...

Thanks to both of you for the help.

I just had this problem with fresh install (Mojave) after exact steps shown in Macman's build (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...updated-for-10-14-6-and-nvram-support.275272/), which is:
- Intel i9-9900k
- Asus TUF z390 Pro Gaming

I am running a Gigabyte RX580 with two DisplayPort monitors, one 4K@60Hz, one 1k@60Hz.

I have Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts in addition to some others via Macman's OctoTUF.mb (multibeast config file). Everything hardware-wise works perfect.
1587609441913.png

The only problem remaining for me is JPEG Preview doesn't work; however, I just fixed it by going into the UEFI/bios and putting the integrated graphics into headless mode.

By default, the motherboard's Integrated Graphics setting is set to AUTO. I changed it to PCIE and enabled Multi-monitor. I'm sorry I can't remember the exact bios setting names, but it is Primary graphics = PCIE and Multi-monitor = ENABLED. It is likely this for most z390 motherboards, under Advanced settings in the bios.

NOTE: theNoVPAJpeg kext is deprecated: https://github.com/vulgo/NoVPAJpeg/releases
NoVPAJpeg.kext is deprecated.

In case its functionality is needed, use WhateverGreen.kext and add the following boot arguments:

shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94

I just had this problem with fresh install (Mojave) after exact steps shown in Macman's build (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...updated-for-10-14-6-and-nvram-support.275272/), which is:
- Intel i9-9900k
- Asus TUF z390 Pro Gaming

I am running a Gigabyte RX580 with two DisplayPort monitors, one 4K@60Hz, one 1k@60Hz.

I have Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts in addition to some others via Macman's OctoTUF.mb (multibeast config file). Everything hardware-wise works perfect.
View attachment 464349

The only problem remaining for me is JPEG Preview doesn't work; however, I just fixed it by going into the UEFI/bios and putting the integrated graphics into headless mode.

By default, the motherboard's Integrated Graphics setting is set to AUTO. I changed it to PCIE and enabled Multi-monitor. I'm sorry I can't remember the exact bios setting names, but it is Primary graphics = PCIE and Multi-monitor = ENABLED. It is likely this for most z390 motherboards, under Advanced settings in the bios.

NOTE: theNoVPAJpeg kext is deprecated: https://github.com/vulgo/NoVPAJpeg/releases

Forget about NoVPAJpeg. I don't know why anyone ever used that kext.

Either enable IGPU or use iMacPro1,1 system definition and Preview and Quick Look will work.

Forget about NoVPAJpeg.

Thanks, I am comfortable with the headless iGPU solution. I mentioned that deprecation warning just in case. Other threads via search mention it as a viable solution, but they are older than the message in that URL I posted.

Enabling iGPU in BIOS fixed this for me on RX560 as well, thanks @CyCLoBoT

EDIT - spoke to soon. It did fix the jpg issue but it put me in a loop at boot a couple of times, then get to desktop and “your computer restarted because of a problem”.

I’ve got work this week I need the machine working for.

I’m stuck on Mojave anyway, I get black screen on update to Catalina, think I might just get an rx580, get to Catalina and see what’s what from there when I’ve got a few days free.

Last edited:
i fixed with this info

imac 14.2 - mojave
3770k. z77xup5th - saphire pulse rx580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back