Contribute
Register

updated to Mojave, no quick look or preview jpg, help AMD rx 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Gigamaxx. Tried switching to iMac 18,3 with no success (solution that I found elsewhere). Tried enabling Integrated Graphics (with multi-monitor) which did not boot correctly – I may have needed to configure clover; screen would show on IGP output only not on RX 580. Switching to MacPro 6,1 finally fixed the issue without any other issues.

Would it be worth trying to go back to iMac 18,3 with the kext solution? iMac 18,3 matches my hardware much better.

Jut pay attention who bought software! Some software houses just find it like you have a new Mac and use the same product with the same serial number (if you bought it to use on one computer). Make sure to "deactivate your Mac" before SMBIOS Mac model switch.

I don't really want to change my sysdef from 14,2 but so far Lilu and NoVPAJpeg have done nothing.

edit: I had to add Intel inject graphics to Clover to get this to work. And in the process I changed to MacPro 5,1. I'm hoping not too many issues arise. I ultimately pulled my Nvidia card and went to the built-in graphics :( Now that it's working I suppose I could start reverting to adding the card back in until I manage to kill jpeg again. Also, it seems I killed built-in audio so one step forward and 2 steps back.

edit2:
So Mac Pro 5,1, Lilu, AppleALC, NoVPAJpeg (no WhateverGreen or Voodoo). I have digital audio and quicklook.

The only remaining question is if I can reinstall my Nvidia card with only one monitor to attach, and retain quicklook. Does quicklook only work on the built-in video interface. It's god awful slow on 3D applications.

Last edited:
It is pretty weird to enconter this issue after installing Radeon RX 580 card, but it is fixed via changing the system definition to Mac Pro 6,1.

Try macPro 5.1 or 6.1 sysytem definition.
Wow, looks like that worked for me, do you have a little more explanation ? I would be curious to understand why

Wow, looks like that worked for me, do you have a little more explanation ? I would be curious to understand why

When using iMac17.1 or iMac18,x system definition, macOS expects IGPU to be enabled. When IGPU is not configured correctly, Quick Look and Preview will have problems. If you use MacPro5,1 or MacPro6,1, macOS does not expect IGPU to be present.

For your CPU, I feel that iMac18,x system definition is a better choice. Just configure IGPU correctly and Quick Look and Preview should not have problems.

Last edited:
When using iMac17.1 or iMac18,x system definition, macOS expects IGPU to be enabled. When IGPU is not configured correctly, Quick Look and Preview will have problems. If you use MacPro5,1 or MacPro6,1, macOS does not expect IGPU to be present.

For your CPU, I feel that iMac18,x system definition is a better choice. Just configure IGPU correctly and Quick Look and Preview should not have problems.

Easier said than done. So far my Mojave update is a stack of pain. Droped my Nvidia in favor of a Radeon RX 580 and now this pain. With IGPU on, it only boots once every four times, and often to a black screen when not in panic. I have put an HDMI out of my mobo conector and turned another monitor and the black screen is actually the system booting to the headless IGPU and ignoring the DGPU. Tried every las trick on the forum to make things happen and so far, the only way it works is with the IGPU disabled, but no hardware video acceleration and no preview and quick look. What a mess. I starting to hate MacOS more with every update. May be well my last one.

Easier said than done. So far my Mojave update is a stack of pain. Droped my Nvidia in favor of a Radeon RX 580 and now this pain. With IGPU on, it only boots once every four times, and often to a black screen when not in panic. I have put an HDMI out of my mobo conector and turned another monitor and the black screen is actually the system booting to the headless IGPU and ignoring the DGPU. Tried every las trick on the forum to make things happen and so far, the only way it works is with the IGPU disabled, but no hardware video acceleration and no preview and quick look. What a mess. I starting to hate MacOS more with every update. May be well my last one.

Please post your EFI folder.

Also, have you installed any kexts in /Library/Extensions/ and/or /System/Library/Extensions/?

There you have it. The in use config.plist has nothing for the IGPU since I killed it in bios and removed WhateverGreen. I've thrown some of the somewhat successful versions also with a date in their names (the utter failures I've killed where they stood). Of course I had the proper kexts on when the other versions where alive. The oldest one is from when it worked with Nvidia, thought it was with high sierra.
Thanks in advance if you spot anything. But right now I am contemplating moving to iMac18,x , MacPro5,1 or MacPro6,1 or going back to My backup with High Sierra and forget about it.
Might just as well ditch the damn MacOS altogether thought.

Note: The board on my signatures is not exactly what it states. The actual one is not in the dropdown list since it's not sold in America. The correct one is GA-Z370M AORUS GAMING (https://www.gigabyte.com/br/Motherboard/Z370M-AORUS-Gaming-rev-10#kf) and the Graphics card is now a Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8G GV-RX580 GAMING-8GD 8GB GDDR5

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
There you have it. The in use config.plist has nothing for the IGPU since I killed it in bios and removed WhateverGreen. I've thrown some of the somewhat successful versions also with a date in their names (the utter failures I've killed where they stood). Of course I had the proper kexts on when the other versions where alive. The oldest one is from when it worked with Nvidia, thought it was with high sierra.
Thanks in advance if you spot anything. But right now I am contemplating moving to iMac18,x , MacPro5,1 or MacPro6,1 or going back to My backup with High Sierra and forget about it.
Might just as well ditch the damn MacOS altogether thought.

Note: The board on my signatures is not exactly what it states. The actual one is not in the dropdown list since it's not sold in America. The correct one is GA-Z370M AORUS GAMING (https://www.gigabyte.com/br/Motherboard/Z370M-AORUS-Gaming-rev-10#kf) and the Graphics card is now a Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8G GV-RX580 GAMING-8GD 8GB GDDR5

What are the following for:

Is audio currently working on your system?

Your config.pist looks extremely "unconventional" to me.

Your /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ is a complete mess. I'm surprised it was able to boot in the macOS at all with those drivers.

Are you sure you need the kexts you have installed?

Are you using a TP-Link Wi-Fi card? Is AirportBrcmFixup.kext needed for it to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back