Contribute
Register

updated to Mojave, no quick look or preview jpg, help AMD rx 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is really weird how one user can have an ideal setup and another with similar hardware can't. If you are going to use a current iMac definition it seems that the IGPU setup can be a crucial factor. If its not set up correctly then problems arise. iMac 14,2 has been a good all around ID that works for Nvidia and AMD cards, but some still have issues with it. personally, I've used MacBook, iMac, Mac Mini and Mac Pro definitions on the same system, ran benchmarks and couldn't tell the difference. Others insist on matching their Symbios to their hardware for optimal performance. It may make a difference if using pro apps that require the specific use of a particular hardware component. I know that the 18.3 ID can be fussy and requires a few fixes and patches to get it to act like a real Mac so its sometimes just easier to try a different definition that works for you. If you want to try it again I would get a spare disk and meddle with it till you get it working well then make it your main setup. Read up on guides for your motherboard and cpu and which version of OS as well. Good Luck, and have fun or at least try to.

I had a lot of problem with 14,2
So end up switch to 15,1.
I enabled IGPU in BIOS, but NO inject intel in Config.plist.
No whatevergreen, and I can quick look jpg without any problem.
Final Cut Pro works well.

Update: it crashed, so i change to 18,3

Update: 18,3 crashed, back to 14,2. I have no idea what should i do.

Last edited:
Also had same issue. Changed the system definition from iMac 14.2 to Macpro 5.1 and that worked for me. Did not enable IGPU in BIOS. Will see how it works longer term. Am now able to also new RAW (eg. NIKON NEF) also in preview and PDFs seems to be render a little faster.

It is really weird how one user can have an ideal setup and another with similar hardware can't. If you are going to use a current iMac definition it seems that the IGPU setup can be a crucial factor. If its not set up correctly then problems arise. iMac 14,2 has been a good all around ID that works for Nvidia and AMD cards, but some still have issues with it. personally, I've used MacBook, iMac, Mac Mini and Mac Pro definitions on the same system, ran benchmarks and couldn't tell the difference. Others insist on matching their Symbios to their hardware for optimal performance. It may make a difference if using pro apps that require the specific use of a particular hardware component. I know that the 18.3 ID can be fussy and requires a few fixes and patches to get it to act like a real Mac so its sometimes just easier to try a different definition that works for you. If you want to try it again I would get a spare disk and meddle with it till you get it working well then make it your main setup. Read up on guides for your motherboard and cpu and which version of OS as well. Good Luck, and have fun or at least try to.

I have two separate backup disks in USB enclosures that I use. I use Clonezilla to make sure that I can quickly revert to the last known good system when I am playing around with things. The second one is just in case I need to revert back further.

I just switched back to iMac 18,3. To get the quick look and preview to work correctly I added the Lilu.kext along with Vulgo's NoVPAjpeg.kext (links below). This solution also works very well so I think I will let it be for now. I think a lot of the variation in success has to do with the setup of the UEFI and Clover as well as the interaction with the SIMBIOS choice. Quick help like on the forums cannot go over EVERY detail, so you just have to experiment a bit to get something that works. I remember the early days of the Mac, now long past, where you could choose to install Mac OS 9.x so that it would work for EVERY (yes EVERY) Mac that existed at the time.

I tried to update to Mac OS 10.14.1, but the currently available port limit patch doesn't work. I think I may try the kext solution listed below instead of a custom SSDT as done by RehabMan.

https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases

https://github.com/vulgo/NoVPAJpeg/releases

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/xhc-usb-kext-creation-guideline.242999/

Last edited:
Also had same issue. Changed the system definition from iMac 14.2 to Macpro 5.1 and that worked for me. Did not enable IGPU in BIOS. Will see how it works longer term. Am now able to also new RAW (eg. NIKON NEF) also in preview and PDFs seems to be render a little faster.

Any update?
I finally change back to GTX 1060 with High Sierra.

Hi I am running a fairly stock Dell XPS 8700 with a AMD RX 580 and running into this issue. I'm currently using the 14.2 config. I enabled the integrated graphics, but when I check my System Report, I only see the RX 580 listed.

Under ACPI i have "FixIntelGfx", "AddHDMI"
Under boot, i have "-lilubetaall -igfxbeta" dart=0,
Under Devices, I have "UserIntelHDMI"
Under Graphics, I have "Inject ATI, Inject Intel"

I installed the NoVPAJpeg.kext under /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/
but when I run "kextstat | grep NoVPAJpeg" I don't see NoVPAJpeg being loaded. Not sure why this is.

I have Lilu 1.2.5 which I think is a dependency and that is loaded. I'm a little hesitant to try whatevergreen as I think when I installed that last time I ended up in a boot loop.

I have the some isue, so I am passing system definition from iMac 14.2 to Macpro 6.1 and works perfectly, thanks guys

I had this issue too with my AMD RX 570.
Changing the system definition from iMac 14.2 to MacPro 6.1 worked for me!
(Intel Graphics disabled in BIOS).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back