Contribute
Register

Updated to High Sierra & Video Choppy on Moniter 4K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give it a try. But use all first with a Bootable Pendrive, in case your Hack wouldn't boot with the changes you made.

After a lot of trial and error all seems to be working. @karacho thanks for your precious feedback. Regarding the choppy video, its still choppy but when I reverted to Sierra it was still choppy. Strange thing is that on my 2015 MPB it plays fine :)

@karacho & @kavlos : Just a heads-up, -shikigva is no more a valid boot flag in latest shiki, you'll need to add "shikigva=4" (pre Skylake CPUs in HS) or "shikigva=12" (SKL and KBLake CPUs in High Sierra), shikigva=4 is fine for SKL & KBL CPUs in Sierra 10.12.6. You'll need the latest releases of Lilu (v. 1.2.0), Shiki (v. 2.1.0) & NvidiaGraphicsFixup (v. 1.2.0) for proper Hardware decoding. Do inject Intel= True and have a connector-less id in platform id. Also it helps if you enable iGPU in BIOS as a multi monitor. Things have changed a lot since SKL CPUs + and Pascal GPUs. Currently this is the best way to get HW decode for smooth high bitrate and hi-res video playback.

@karacho & @kavlos : Just a heads-up, -shikigva is no more a valid boot flag in latest shiki, you'll need to add "shikigva=4" (pre Skylake CPUs in HS) or "shikigva=12" (SKL and KBLake CPUs in High Sierra), shikigva=4 is fine for SKL & KBL CPUs in Sierra 10.12.6. You'll need the latest releases of Lilu (v. 1.2.0), Shiki (v. 2.1.0) & NvidiaGraphicsFixup (v. 1.2.0) for proper Hardware decoding. Do inject Intel= True and have a connector-less id in platform id. Also it helps if you enable iGPU in BIOS as a multi monitor. Things have changed a lot since SKL CPUs + and Pascal GPUs. Currently this is the best way to get HW decode for smooth high bitrate and hi-res video playback.
thanks alot! quick question. all those kexts should i i install with kextbeast or should I just put them in clover kexts other folder?

Also could you tell me where i put this "have a connector-less id in platform id"

Last edited:
thanks alot! quick question. all those kexts should i i install with kextbeast or should I just put them in clover kexts other folder?

Also could you tell me where i put this "have a connector-less id in platform id"
In clover kexts other. What umran23 above told was new to me. Thx umran23...I never stop learning.
If you want to use IGPU, enable it in your Bios and additionaly copy IntelGraficsFixup.kext to clover kexts other. Add shikigva=12 to Bootflags, in Graphics Section tick Inject Intel and klick on the dropdown list on the right side. Choose a connector-less entry for your needs. I'm serious, i don't know which one you should use. Perhaps umran23 knows. Good Luck.

Edit: connectorless-entry = 0x59120000 Note: This entry is for Asus Strix z270E Gaming, but i guess it's the same for your Board.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-12 um 09.44.20.png

Last edited:
In clover kexts other. What umran23 above told was new to me. Thx umran23...I never stop learning.
If you want to use IGPU, enable it in your Bios and additionaly copy IntelGraficsFixup.kext to clover kexts other. Add shikigva=12 to Bootflags, in Graphics Section tick Inject Intel and klick on the dropdown list on the right side. Choose a connector-less entry for your needs. I'm serious, i don't know which one you should use. Perhaps umran23 knows. Good Luck.

Edit: connectorless-entry = 0x59120000 Note: This entry is for Asus Strix z270E Gaming, but i guess it's the same for your Board.

View attachment 285115

Thanks!

All done, but when I change to iGPU my system is not booting. Maybe something to do with the attached screenshots...

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 11.39.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 11.41.35 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 10.21.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 10.21.37 PM.png
    392.4 KB · Views: 123
Thanks!

All done, but when I change to iGPU my system is not booting. Maybe something to do with the attached screenshots...

View attachment 285122 View attachment 285124

Also add another patch in you config, it's in the drop down menu called as change gfx0 to iGPU and sort it above "change pegp to gfx0". In bios make peg/PCIe as primary display device and enable multi monitor and allocate at least 64mb or more, I use 96mb for asus motherboard. Try these and hopefully you should have it working.

Also add another patch in you config, it's in the drop down menu called as change gfx0 to iGPU and sort it above "change pegp to gfx0". In bios make peg/PCIe as primary display device and enable multi monitor and allocate at least 64mb or more, I use 96mb for asus motherboard. Try these and hopefully you should have it working.

Done and it boots fine - booting is slower when I have iGPU enabled in bios btw - dunno why.
Just for my understanding - should I be expecting better video acceleration now?

booting is slower when I have iGPU enabled in bios btw
You can try disabling "-disablegfxfirmware" in your clover config.plist, some people need this in High Sierra when using HS with nVidia.
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 7.59.46 PM.png

should I be expecting better video acceleration now?
There couple of ways to check this, one way is to open a video and your activity monitor and check your CPU usage. In the thumbnail below you can see my usage for a 4k high bitrate video, Quicktime usage is quite low. When I don't have HW decode, this same video used to show about 130%+ usage which isn't efficient.
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 8.03.59 PM.png

Also I am attaching a script, where you can check if your HW is fully supported, this script is supposed to run in Sierra, but you can give it a try in HS too. This is my result from it.
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 8.06.43 PM.png

Attachments

• VDADecoderChecker.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 79
You can try disabling "-disablegfxfirmware" in your clover config.plist, some people need this in High Sierra when using HS with nVidia.
View attachment 285207

There couple of ways to check this, one way is to open a video and your activity monitor and check your CPU usage. In the thumbnail below you can see my usage for a 4k high bitrate video, Quicktime usage is quite low. When I don't have HW decode, this same video used to show about 130%+ usage which isn't efficient.
View attachment 285210

Also I am attaching a script, where you can check if your HW is fully supported, this script is supposed to run in Sierra, but you can give it a try in HS too. This is my result from it.
View attachment 285211

Once more thanks!

Here is the output I got:

GVA error: Not detecting IGPU in IORegistry!

GVA error: Not detecting valid offline codec!

GVA info: Successfully connected to the Intel plugin, offline Gen6

/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleGVA/AppleGVA-11.1.22.1/Sources/Slices/Driver/AVD_loader.cpp: failed to get a service for display 6

/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleGVA/AppleGVA-11.1.22.1/Sources/Slices/Driver/AVD_loader.cpp: failed to get a service for display 7

/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleGVA/AppleGVA-11.1.22.1/Sources/Slices/Driver/AVD_loader.cpp: failed to get a service for display 8

AVDCreateGPUAccelerator: Error loading GPU renderer

VDADecoderCreate failed. err: -12473

An error was returned by the decoder layer. This may happen for example because of bitstream/data errors during a decode operation. This error may also be returned from VDADecoderCreate when hardware decoder resources are available on the system but currently in use by another process.

VDADecoderCreate failed. err: -12473

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

EDIT: WOW success! I added the boot argument you mentioned!! Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back