Contribute
Register

Updated to 10.15.3 and Lost Sound > What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte B75M-D3V
CPU
i5-2320
Graphics
GTX 670
Updated all relevant kexts (lilu, whatevergreen, and AppleALC) to the old folders and updated (selecting the install disk on reboot)

Sound is still gone for me, so I assume I have to move the kexts into a new location (/EFI)
Trouble for me is I can't see /EFI anywhere, but I see /EFI-Backups/r5070/ and the path to kexts/Other down that rabbit hole.
Unfortunately, even as root, I can't copy the kexts into the directory as it's read-only. Even for root.
KextBeast only copies kexts to the old Library places.

What to do?

Updated all relevant kexts (lilu, whatevergreen, and AppleALC) to the old folders and updated (selecting the install disk on reboot)

Sound is still gone for me, so I assume I have to move the kexts into a new location (/EFI)
Trouble for me is I can't see /EFI anywhere, but I see /EFI-Backups/r5070/ and the path to kexts/Other down that rabbit hole.
Unfortunately, even as root, I can't copy the kexts into the directory as it's read-only. Even for root.
KextBeast only copies kexts to the old Library places.

What to do?
you have to mount your efi partition first

your config.plist probably got clobbered, you may have lost drivers too. always back it up before you upgrade. I use Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition, copy the EFI Folder in it to a safe place, then upgrade.

your config.plist probably got clobbered, you may have lost drivers too. always back it up before you upgrade. I use Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition, copy the EFI Folder in it to a safe place, then upgrade.

Thanks for the tip. Seems to have worked. Sounds is back!
I am curious if there's any other more manual way to mount the EFI partition?

in terminal

diskutil list
sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

disk0s1 stands for disk 0 slice 1 (partition 1) match the value listed next to EFI from diskutil list
it will always be s1 but disk number can vary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back