Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Gerald71,

You recommend F12-J as the BIOS revision for this fix.

However I lose Wake from Sleep with that BIOS revision.

Going back to F12-E gave me back Wake from Sleep.

Having to either disable the sleep in my Hack, or reset if sleep occurs to try get USB ports to work is not a trade I want to make.

I see Stork recommends removing darkwake kernel parameter entirely from org.chameleon.Boot.plist. I admit I didn't try that.

Stork: Are you using F12-J BIOS revision with darkwake removed? What does the kernel default darkwake to when it is removed from the BOOT options?
I shared it myself how I first got to work standby and part of USB 3.0 ports

after multiple testing and trying all kinds, this is the way that works best for me

then you have to see if you want to try and find another solution that would be better

the same processor if it's the same model in different revision, and I even asked if my processor has a bug on Intel USB 3.0 which is managed by the processor
I find weird since I have this mainboard that USB 3.0 ports are not bootable startup with a USB key or hard drive

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

I tried to upgrade to 10.8.5 using Stork's instructions posted yesterday using the Combo update:

1. Repaired Permissions using the Disk Utility on the drive to be updated;
  2. Backed up current system with Time Machine and SuperDuper;
  3. Ran the Combo Update --> The update failed to install
  4. Ran MultiBeast to reload only the audio driver --> Multibeast failed
  5. Repaired Permissions again
  6. Rebooted
Rebooted: version displayed 10.8.5, but no audio.
Ran MultiBeast again to reload only the audio driver --> Multibeast failed again
Rebooted: system failed to boot.

After this I restored the system back to the previous state by booting into SuperDuper partition using USB boot loader and pressing F12 at boot, copied all files to Mountain Lion partition, rebooted into Mountain Lion through USB boot loader and ran Multibeast to restore boot loader. Restoration was successful and the system worked like before.

I just checked the 10.8.5 post by Stork and found that Stork has updated his post earlier
today for users of "
USB 3 - Universal" (Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext).​
Since I am using that kext this may be the solution for me to, but I'll wait a bit more to see if this will be the final instructions.​

It was a nice exercise to up- and downgrade, at least I now feel comfortable with it, but I have had enough of that for now
:D

Finally got a chance to update to 10.8.5. I followed my guide as in Post #2 in the Article: OS X 10.8.5 Update.

I recommend the Combo update instead of the store incremental update. My procedure is to
  1. Repair Permissions using the Disk Utility on the drive to be updated;*
  2. Backup your current system with Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
  3. If you're using the "USB 3 - Universal" (Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext), remove it from S/L/E folder as you don't need it**;
  4. Run the Combo Update - don't reboot yet;
  5. Run MultiBeast to reload only the audio driver;
    67204-thunderball-10-8-5-update.png
  6. Reboot;* and
  7. Repair Permissions again.
BINGO! OS X 10.8.5 up and running with everything working. MultiBeast will be updated shortly to take into account the surprises in the 10.8.5 Combo Update.

* You can use the Terminal instead of Disk Utility if you feel comfortable with a UNIX command:
Code:
sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

** Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext has been reported to cause Kernel Panels on some motherboards after the update. So, for now, we're recommending that you delete it before running the Combo Update. However, you don't need it for the GA-Z77X-UP5H TH motherboard as this motherboard's native Intel USB3 chipset works in Mountain Lion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Succesfully updated to 10.8.5, sound OK.
Great job Stork!

Hey Stork, what does the Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext do? And how do I know whether or not I have installed it on my system?

Hey Stork, what does the Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext do? And how do I know whether or not I have installed it on my system?
Our motherboard doesn't need the GenericUSBXHCI.kext which enables USB3 on motherboards without Intel USB3 chipset. :thumbup:

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, but as I got help from you in getting a PC suitable for OSX instalation, I would like to contribute somehow.

I've installed the ML 10.8.4 using the described methods and everything was working, except WI/FI. These days I did the update via App store and didn't even think about looking here first. For my luck everything worked ok, expect sound and the USB 3.0 ports. After I got the problem I came to the forum to see what I shouldn't have done. OK, what I tried then was running Multibeast, even knowing that other people tried without success. In my case I must report that running the Multibeast worked great on my system and I got sound working again. I just runned the latest version of the program on the 10.8.5 after a series of reboots and it worked. I also repaired the permissions after the Multibeast.

One other thing is that my bluetooth device (the one that came with the motherboard) is working fine. I just had to go to Windows once and now I can use the bluetooth any time without the need to boot into Windows first. It just take a few minutes (~1 or 2) to turn on. It is a little annoying, mainly when you have a bluetooth mouse, but it is fine to me. I have a mouse and a printer paired.

And if any of you could help I would be appreciated. Several times the turn of function reboot the PC instead of shutting it down. The PC also wake up from sleep automatically sometimes... Do I need any fix?

Thanks

acvsaraiva,
This thread is for the discusion of Stork's build description which is for a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard with a i5 processor and GTX 650 Ti graphics card. You Profile does not reflect that configuration. If you have a system with components like my build, then you need to update your Profile and create a Basic Signature Block.

Stork,

Sorry for the hardware info, I haven't update my info on the forum since my recent hardware upgrade. I believe I did now and yes, my hardware is now very similar to yours. Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back