Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Thanks to Stork and everyone in this thread I got my hackintosh back up and running 10.8.3

still cant get my HD4000 to work dual monitors alongside my EVGA GTX 670 tho

Check to see if in your bios in the settings for your HD4000 there is a setting for dual monitors... my MSI board has this feature.

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Check to see if in your bios in the settings for your HD4000 there is a setting for dual monitors... my MSI board has this feature.
No, the Gigabyte BIOS does not have a parameter for dual monitors. Two of the three motherboard monitor connectors, IIRC, can be used to drive dual monitors - the DVI & HDMI connectors/plugs. VGA is not supported in Apple's OS X.

Hey Stork, any luck on running Folding@Home on this exact version of CustoMac?

Oh! Wow! Folding@Home! I haven't run that in years! Noble cause, but decided that my electric bill was suffering from running Folding@Home and SETI on all my working computers (Macs & SGI Indy). I can't even remember what teams I was on. :think: But, good on you for asking.

Short answer is no, I don't run Folding@Home. But, I have now have a H67N-USB / i3-2125 / HD3000 system that uses a small PSU that can be put to use for Folding@Home. Gonna try that after I get it into it's new case in a few days. Thanks for the memories.

If you have been following my discussion of System Definitions and an i5-3570K SSDT, you know that I've been testing the MacMini6,1 & 6,2 SysDefs. (I have not tested the iMac 13 series because of problems with that SysDef.)

The problem with the MacMini6 SysDefs is that the speakers pop all the time which didn't happen with the MacPro3,1 SysDef. So, this was becoming a game changer, and I was about ready to go back to the MacPro3,1 SysDef to get rid of that terrible speaker popping.:thumbdown:

Then, beelzebozo posted this audio solution in the Audio forum section: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/98115-simple-plug-n-play-usb-audio-device-os-x.html#post598995 I bought it, and no more speaker popping in OS X, only at startup (dunno why this is happening). :thumbup:

BTW, the Sabrent USB External Sound Box (USB-SBCV) is a $10 USD adapter. Recently, it was on sale at Newegg for $8 USD.

So, if you have speaker popping, I highly recommend the Sabrent. :thumbup:

anti-pop

hi Stork,

the other solution for this "pop" problem is this:
http://www.tomsick.net/projects/antipop.html

I have not extensively tested this on the up5-th motherboard, as I haven't switched SysDef yet. But it might be an easier solution than buying another device, another cable to plug in... etc etc.

Not sure if it effects general sleep capability.

...the other solution for this "pop" problem is [Antipop]...I have not extensively tested this on the up5-th motherboard, as I haven't switched SysDef yet. But it might be an easier solution than buying another device, another cable to plug in... etc etc.

You and arehep both mentioned the Antipop program. I'm gonna try it. Thanks.

Oops! I forgot to try sleep/wake-up with the Sabrent since I had Thunderball back on the KVM switch. Will do in a bit.

hi Stork,

the other solution for this "pop" problem is this:
http://www.tomsick.net/projects/antipop.html

I have not extensively tested this on the up5-th motherboard, as I haven't switched SysDef yet. But it might be an easier solution than buying another device, another cable to plug in... etc etc.

I've been using it for almost 4 years and i can assure you that it won't interfere with sleep or anything else what so ever no matter what sysdef you are using

In the multibeast-feature-requests thread i suggested this as Robert Tomsick has open sourced it

https://github.com/Sep102/antipop

But Macmans answer was:

"Closed, won't implement as I have the same motherboard and haven't heard any pops"

I've been using it for almost 4 years and i can assure you that it won't interfere with sleep or anything else what so ever no matter what sysdef you are using

In the multibeast-feature-requests thread i suggested this as Robert Tomsick has open sourced it

https://github.com/Sep102/antipop
Good testimony. Thanks, guys.

But Macmans answer was: "Closed, won't implement as I have the same motherboard and haven't heard any pops"
In MacMan's defense, he recommends and uses the MacPro3,1 SysDef because it doesn't have the drawbacks of some of the SysDefs, such as the MacMini6 series SysDef's speaker popping. (MacMini5 for Sandy Bridge, thankfully, does not have this problem as that's Zorro's SysDef so I can use multi monitors.)

Update: I don't know if AntiPop works. I installed Antipop, removed the Sabrent USB sound adapter and rebooted. Immediately at startup, before the BIOS, the speakers popped. Then, as OS X was booting, the speakers popped several times. So, I'm gonna test it for a couple of days.

More thunderbolt!

Hey Stork. I just wanted to give you an update on my Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt freezing (previously posted as cdothackit). Still can't get any of my devices to work, but I was able to stop the system freeze by down grading the bios. Figured I'd stuff this information here, since this is the master thread for GA-Z77X-UP5 TH

F11 - Installed flawlessly, well almost. Multibeast did not FakeSMC automatically with DSDT Free option. System freezes every time a thunderbolt device is connected.
F08 - Furthest I could go back. System boots fine, no freeze on thunderbolt connection but no device is seen.
F09 - Same as F08.
F10 - Thunderbolt connection causes KP.
F12e - Beta bios, will not boot.

So now I settled on F08 and I'm attempting to get Clover running to see if a try UEFI boot would help with the Thunderbolt issue, although something peculiar just happened. As of my second downgrade to F08, I can no longer boot into my primary OSX install (I have two, stable and testing) and my USB drive with the install image is no longer being recognized at boot.

I'm going to reflash to F09, and then go for clover. I'll let you know if I get it working (I'll throw up a how-to about it as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back