Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | HD4000 | Mountain Lion

Gerard71,
On back panel USB 2, I've used the two USB 2 ports above the eSATA port and next to the Ethernet port, both of which work with my USB 2 thumb drives and the connecting to my monitor's USB 2 hub. (Back panel port's "e" in my Gigabyte manual's motherboard back panel diagram, page 21, USA version.)

The front panel USB 2 headers are plugged into the motherboard's USB 2 front panel connector. (#15 on my Gigabyte manual's motherboard top view diagram, page 26, USA version.)

However, if holding F12 on boot up isn't working for you, you should can change the BIOS' 1st boot disk parameter to the USB HDD for the Mountain Lion installation. I recommend changing the BIOS boot disk because Apple's installation reboots the computer the end of the installation. By changing the BIOS first boot disk, the installation reboot will automatically reboot with the UniBeast thumb drive so you can run MultiBeast. After running MultiBeast, you will need to reboot. At this reboot, boot into the BIOS, and change the first boot disk parameter back to your Mountain Lion disk. Hopefully, this procedure will work for you.

Unfortunately, I am not with that system right now, so I can not offer more advice.

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

I updated my build description with the addition of an EVGA GTX 650 Ti. I'm not a gamer, so I didn't spend the big money to get a high end GTX 680 or 690. This card actually fits a hole in the cards that tonymacx86 has for testing. The EVGA GTX 650 Ti has a DVI-I, DVI-D and a "mini HDMI" connectors.

GTX_650Ti_438x328.png

Since I was running 10.8.2 at the time I installed the 650 Ti (it's supported natively in 10.8.3), I following tonymacx86's guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/os-x-updates/79108-macbook-air-macbook-pro-update-2-0-a.html. I then added the following to the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plst file using TextEdit:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>

The above can be added using MultiBeast, but I didn't want to run MultiBeast just to add that to the org...Boot.plst file. I'll post a new MultiBeast Configuration screen snapshot when I update to 10.8.3 whenever it's released.

Unfortunately, 10.8.3 is not showing the card in the System Profile correctly, but it's cosmetic.

50070-sys-profile-2013-03-19-10-8-3.png

Below is the Uniengine Heaven benchmark which was really fun to watch for a first timer with this program. The results are in the same class as GTX 460 and 550 Ti.

38288-unigine-heaven-gtx-650-ti.jpg

LuxMark 2.0 benchmark in 10.8.3.
50069-luxmark-v2-thunderball-10-8-3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Hi Stork,

Nice Build.

Great that the 650ti is now supported thru this macbook update at the moment.

Question: Did you check the firewire 400 resp. IEEE 1394a itself or only with the thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter.

I saw that there is a dedicated firewire 400 port on this board which i´d like to use with my rme firface 400. would not like to use it with an adapter if not necessary.

Greetz

Samuel

..Question: Did you check the firewire 400 resp. IEEE 1394a itself or only with the thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter.

I saw that there is a dedicated firewire 400 port on this board which i´d like to use with my rme firface 400. would not like to use it with an adapter if not necessary...

No, I haven' because there is no Firewire 400 rear panel port on the motherboard and no front panel case Firewire port which I didn't realize that until just now. :eek: So, if you use this motherboard, you have to invest in a Firewire motherboard header connector that uses the back PCI case openings. (I can't think of what it's called.) Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Firewire..._FireWire_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2eac03d2c0 (note: this a perishable link.)

Ok, thanks...

Do you guess any problems with that? Normally i should be able to enable ieee1394 in the bios and then it should work...

This chip has the Gigabyte Board...Or probably any things to adjust in Multibeast?

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/peripherals/1394/vt6308ps/

Cause this cable is much cheaper than a Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter...

Greetz Samuel

Nope. The on-board Firewire did not work with either my external drive or iSight camera. However, both work with the ThunderBolt to Firewire adapter.

Nope. The on-board Firewire did not work with either my external drive or iSight camera. However, both work with the ThunderBolt to Firewire adapter.

I can verify that the onboard Firewire 400 works just fine. I have my Drobo connected to it, as a TimeMachine backup.

Bah! I hate it when that occurs. Back to testing after the football game is over.

Sorry, lol! But I'm glad to hear the Thunderbolt to FW works, I want to get one, for the 800mb transfers.

I updated my build description with the addition of an EVGA GTX 650 Ti. I'm not a gamer, so I didn't spend the big money to get a high end GTX 680 or 690. This card actually fits a hole in the cards that tonymacx86 has for testing.

Great Build!
I have a small question, does your build works fine with Airplay Mirror?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back