Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | HD4000 | Mountain Lion

Was there a reason you didn't install with a 10.8.2 UniBeast install drive? I was able to with limited success. I found I needed to run a
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
or it wouldn't reboot with or without running MultiBeast. I would get some sort of cache error. That command is suppose to rebuild the cache.

Is this similar to you repairPermission command?

I also needed to add trim for my SSD and added the SSDT for my i7-2600k for speedstep to work at all (otherwise it was stuck idling at x16 speed).

My sleep still gives me issues sometime. usually the second time it sleeps, it won't wake. Plus it sometimes auto-restarts occasionally when I shut-off for some reason. I think it is related to the wake issue above.

MarkJohnson,
Yes, I used UniBeast. (You made me review my original post. :D ) I had no problem using UniBeast for the installation nor with MultiBeast. What you had to do with the "touch" Terminal commend is when you manuallly install or delete a kext(s).

Repair Permissions takes Apple's list of what OS X items need system level permissions to run. It's a wise thing to do after every OS X upgrade; I even do it before the update, just to be on the safe side.

Sleep, on a hackintosh, is highly dependent upon what components you have installed and what external peripherals you have installed. So, read what others have done with your setup. I have no problems with manual, automatic and/or scheduled sleep/wake-up.

I thought this motherboard had VIA audio? So why are you installing ALC898 AppleHDA?

You may be thinking of the GA-Z77X-UP4-TH .... As I recall, that's the one with the VIA chipset for audio & LAN.:D

BTW, BRAVO on an excellent build! LOVE that case!!! Are you a fan of GeekBench? Would love to see GB scores for your new beast!!

The iMac port is for another monitor, not to use the iMac as a monitor. So, you'll need a stand alone monitor. Since I have bad eyes, I spend my money on a good monitor. However, since your eyes have to satisfied, go look at monitors side-by-side. Compare monitors with an IPS monitor. If the store doesn't have an IPS monitor to compare the other monitors, then go to another store. :thumbup: I have an Apple 23" Cinema Display and an HP ZR24W. Both are out of production. However, I'd start looking for something like the HP ZR2440W or similar monitor.

If your budget is limited, serious consider a less expensive case, motherboard, etc. I put my eyes at a high priority.

dansonman.
I used the tonymacx86 UniBeast Guide (see signature block for link or Forum's Home page). Worked flawlessly to install Mountain Lion. Did you set up your BIOS correctly. I recommend posting your installation problem in the Mountain Lion Desktop Support Forum section with a complete description of all the steps you took to get where you now are, including how you downloaded Mountain Lion. We need you to help us help you. :thumbup:

You CAN use a Thunderbolt iMac as a external monitor

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3775

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924

http://www.macworld.com/article/1159616/imacs_thunderbolt_target_display_mode.html

MarkJohnson,
Yes, I used UniBeast. (You made me review my original post. :D ) I had no problem using UniBeast for the installation nor with MultiBeast.

I meant putting 10.8.2 on a unibeast stick. You mentioned updating to 10.8.2 after installation I just mentioned this as it is a new thing Apple is doing and a lot of people don't know this yet. You can now download a new complete install image on new updates instead of doing combo updates on fresh installs.

What you had to do with the "touch" Terminal commend is when you manually install or delete a kext(s). Repair Permissions takes Apple's list of what OS X items need system level permissions to run. It's a wise thing to do after every OS X upgrade; I even do it before the update, just to be on the safe side.

Ah I see. Normally I use kextbeast to install kext manually. I assume it does this automagically. I'm not sure why I needed to rebuild the kernel cache, but the boot error message I was getting was pointing to a rebuilding of the cache and it worked. I even got the message on a fresh install when rebooting without any modifications of any kind. One person pointed out it was from virtualization being enabled.

I'll have to add that command to my growing list of important commands.

Sleep, on a hackintosh, is highly dependent upon what components you have installed and what external peripherals you have installed. So, read what others have done with your setup. I have no problems with manual, automatic and/or scheduled sleep/wake-up.

Yeah, I have been reading up on a lot of posts. My latest issue was some wierd error about my USB devices drawing too much power. I was recommended I do an SMC or something, which basically turned out to be just a clearing of the BIOS with removing the battery and unplugging from the all. Amazingly it worked! Not sure why/how. Maybe a weird setting I didn't know I had set improperly or an old setting stuck from when I upgraded my BIOS from F4 to F9. I will do this again when I get brave and upgrade to F11 I see is available.

Thanks again for your wonderful post
-=Mark=-

Stork, that is an awesome build. The new cases have gotten more and more amazing as time passes.

Thanks to you also for paving the way for the rest of us.

using the onboard hd4000, have you tried to use it through HDMI and if so does sound come out also?

HDMI video works for sure, though you may have to tweak your chameleon.org plist file to manualy set the resolution to your screen's native resolution to avoid garbled video after boot ups. i havent tried passing audio, but can try audio after i get my second monitor set up since only that one has audio.

All,
Thank you for your comments on my build. Solidww, I try to write my build description with as much focus on someone using my system components for their first build - it has to pass the Spousal Test. :lol::thumbup:

MarkJohnson,
Yes, you are correct. My apologies for not understanding your post. Apple usually follows up the update with a new, up-to-date Install Mountain Lion app on the Apple Mac App Store.

littlepooch21
My ThunderBall build is attached to a DVI KVM switch which is attached to a monitor that doesn't have a HDMI connector. So, I can't test the HD4000 HDMI motherboard port. Thanks, rukus, for confirming the HD4000 HDMI motherboard port works; I thought it would.

what about airplay mirroring?

Stork: do you know if there would be any issues using a card like the GTX 660ti with your setup?

I'm trying to decide between your build and Slugnet's! Both are great options!

I would like the thunderbolt compatibility (as some devices or cameras I use may be primarily (or only!) thunderbolt compatible), but I'd also like to add a video card and beef up the ram. :D USB 3.0 is a bonus (and I know that you can't test it on your board as you don't have any such devices).

This is a great community here btw! (gonna be donating after I get my machine built).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back