Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for not reading through but as I’m just wanting a quick answer ...

With things changing recently I’ve found that I’m not using my Hackintosh as my main machine anymore. However, I do like having a Mac around so I was wondering if anyone had any success with Big Sur on our Z77X motherboard?

I’m currently still on Mojave and it’s as stable as with no issues but would like to move up to the latest OS if possible.

I will be using a CpenCore to see if I can get my head around it with Clover seemingly going the way of Chameleon.

Sorry for not reading through but as I’m just wanting a quick answer ...

With things changing recently I’ve found that I’m not using my Hackintosh as my main machine anymore. However, I do like having a Mac around so I was wondering if anyone had any success with Big Sur on our Z77X motherboard?

I’m currently still on Mojave and it’s as stable as with no issues but would like to move up to the latest OS if possible.

I will be using a CpenCore to see if I can get my head around it with Clover seemingly going the way of Chameleon.
Have you tried looking at this thread? It should provide you tips on running Big Sur for Z77X > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-z77x-ud5h-big-sur-opencore-0-6-3.306361/

Thank Middleman ... ATM moment I'm wondering why I bother anymore having lost 4 hours with a supposedly simple Clover update.

Always hated Clover ... present experience doesn't change my view.

IMHO I'm just going to buy a Mac if this keeps up. *uugh*

You need to be wary of the latest Clover updates. r5120 and newer has been reportedly problematic on some builds. You will likely need new memory handle kexts such as OSXAptioFix-64.efi in your newer builds of Clover. Also if you used Lilu and Shiki/Intelgraphicsfixup/Nvidiagraphicsfixup etc. before they’ve been replaced with just Lilu, Whatevergreen and AppleALC.

But the main issue is not that but Mojave, Catalina and above, where they have introduced new memory and root directory protections preventing kext-editing and patching. At least with Big Sur that is the case, which has made Clover unworkable anything beyond Catalina. This is why the community is gradually moving towards CpenCore (OC), but also because aside from being closer to actual ACPI method of implementation (and programming) OC seems to offer more tweaks and settings than Clover. So I’d suggest you look into that (Dortania’s guide is a good start).

If you need help there’s also a Sanity Checker available online for CpenCore configurations.

You need to be wary of the latest Clover updates. r5120 and newer has been reportedly problematic on some builds. You will likely need new memory handle kexts such as OSXAptioFix-64.efi in your newer builds of Clover. Also if you used Lilu and Shiki/Intelgraphicsfixup/Nvidiagraphicsfixup etc. before they’ve been replaced with just Lilu, Whatevergreen and AppleALC.

But the main issue is not that but Mojave, Catalina and above, where they have introduced new memory and root directory protections preventing kext-editing and patching. At least with Big Sur that is the case, which has made Clover unworkable anything beyond Catalina. This is why the community is gradually moving towards CpenCore (OC), but also because aside from being closer to actual ACPI method of implementation (and programming) OC seems to offer more tweaks and settings than Clover. So I’d suggest you look into that (Dortania’s guide is a good start).

If you need help there’s also a Sanity Checker available online for CpenCore configurations.
Hi Middleman,

Fixed everything with the Mojave build.

Onto a Big Sur with OpenCore ... can't install.

Well I follow the guides to the letter and Sanity checker seems to be fine BAR CFG lock.

Can anyone advise where CFG lock setting is on our motherboard's BIOS?

Currently, when I try to boot off the install USB, I get the "stop sign".

It’s funny isn’t it ...

For anyone scared of the move to OpenCore. Don’t be. Just be methodical as you go through the guide. I started this morning +8 GMT and have had breaks for lunch and shopping.

In the end, as someone who has used computers since 1984 its obvious that OpenCore leaves Clover in its dust.

I'm sure I’ll come across issues but as a start I’ll be happy to now buy new equipment to get my next decade long “Mac Pro”.

EDIT - Hello from Big Sur. :D

Last edited:
Success @Middleman @Stork

Many thanks to Stork for all his help over the years and to Middleman recently.

As I transition from Mojave to Big Sur I’ll try to drop through more frequently to help others on this platform.

Goodbye Clover ... no love loss there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back