Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly what my issues were in the past with this build. If I used an AMD card with WhateversGreen.kext there was always an issue with FCPX picking the right h.264 encode/decode platform. But I changed my dGPU to a GTX650 and I am more than happy with the way FCPX performs. Maybe down the line I will upgrade to a K5000 or K5200 if I need more performance from this computer. :)

I thought of upgrading to a better GPU and a 10-Gen CPU but decided against anymore investment in a Hackintosh as it is coming to an end. Instead I'll invest in the next version of Apple silicon after M1 instead.

I thought of upgrading to a better GPU and a 10-Gen CPU but decided against anymore investment in a Hackintosh as it is coming to an end. Instead I'll invest in the next version of Apple silicon after M1 instead.
Can't say I do blame you for that. How much longer do you think we'll be able to Hackintosh?

Can't say I do blame you for that. How much longer do you think we'll be able to Hackintosh?

2 years - until Big Sur 11.7 when 12.0 Apple Silicon-only macOS is released. Probably a little longer as the established base of Intel-based Mac's but then Apple never cared about established base of users.

To make it easier for the established base to move, they'll keep the prices way lower than the usual "Apple Premium". Just look at the M1 Mac mini it's "only" $900 which is ~ $200 less than the Intel based Mac mini. That $200 difference is NOT the Intel "tax" that they would have paid for an equivalent Intel chip. It is instead a "discount" to entice existing and more importantly, NEW users to get hooked onto the Apple syringe. Once hooked.....

Last edited:
2 years - until Big Sur 11.7 when 12.0 Apple Silicon-only macOS is released. Probably a little longer as the established base of Intel-based Mac's but then Apple never cared about established base of users.

To make it easier for the established base to move, they'll keep the prices way lower than the usual "Apple Premium". Just look at the M1 Mac mini it's "only" $900 which is ~ $200 less than the Intel based Mac mini. That $200 difference is NOT the Intel "tax" that they would have paid for an equivalent Intel chip. It is instead a "discount" to entice existing and more importantly, NEW users to get hooked onto the Apple syringe. Once hooked.....
Syringe = Ouch!
I wasn't expecting that. Let's see what happens and thank you for your input.

@Stork, @macnb, @Cfreak, and anyone else reading this post. I've been using this Z77 Hackintosh full time for a couple of months. I booted it up today only to see it wouldn't boot past BIOS because of a problem with BIOS set up. This happened before and I would like to avoid it from happening again. Would anyone be able to help me understand what I am doing incorrectly?

@Stork, @macnb, @Cfreak, and anyone else reading this post. I've been using this Z77 Hackintosh full time for a couple of months. I booted it up today only to see it wouldn't boot past BIOS because of a problem with BIOS set up. This happened before and I would like to avoid it from happening again. Would anyone be able to help me understand what I am doing incorrectly?

I've experienced BIOS issues. A few times I had seen BIOS configs wiped. A couple of times I had complete corruption of the BIOS. I had to flick the BIOS switch to Backup and reboot and then reflash the Main BIOS. Once BOTH BIOS's got corrupted and I had to purchase a CH41A external flasher to reprogram both BIOS's. It was not easy but I eventually managed it.
This was during the early days of switching to OpenCore (0.5.6). Now, I am not saying is was due to OpenCore and may be it was coincident :think:

I have a modded BIOS that has NMVe driver builtin so that I can boot off an NVMe drive. It may be that but I think it's Gigabyte thing.
Most BIOS have bugs and as motherboard manufacturer churns out new boards, they really cannot be bothered to fix "old" boards.

Touch wood, I have not seen any issues recently and it's all stable. I am still on released version of OC 0.6.4.

Your issue could be related CMOS Battery needing replacing or to bootloader setting regarding NVRAM or RTC or DSDT or Restart. You have not stated what you use as a bootloader.

I've been using this Z77 Hackintosh full time for a couple of months. I booted it up today only to see it wouldn't boot past BIOS because of a problem with BIOS set up. This happened before and I would like to avoid it from happening again. Would anyone be able to help me understand what I am doing incorrectly?
Your BIOS problems may be related to Bootstrap causing BIOS corruption. This has been fixed by Acidanthera with OC 0.6.4. The Bootstrap string is now set to None by default in the latest OC config.plist.

It's a long thread so make sure to read it all the way through to see how vit9696 comes to his conclusion and resolves this.

If you're short on time you can jump ahead to vit9696's explanation of this issue. He explains the cause of the problem, what they've done to prevent it and what other changes to make as well.

Last edited:
I've experienced BIOS issues. A few times I had seen BIOS configs wiped. A couple of times I had complete corruption of the BIOS. I had to flick the BIOS switch to Backup and reboot and then reflash the Main BIOS. Once BOTH BIOS's got corrupted and I had to purchase a CH41A external flasher to reprogram both BIOS's. It was not easy but I eventually managed it.
This was during the early days of switching to OpenCore (0.5.6). Now, I am not saying is was due to OpenCore and may be it was coincident :think:

I have a modded BIOS that has NMVe driver builtin so that I can boot off an NVMe drive. It may be that but I think it's Gigabyte thing.
Most BIOS have bugs and as motherboard manufacturer churns out new boards, they really cannot be bothered to fix "old" boards.

Touch wood, I have not seen any issues recently and it's all stable. I am still on released version of OC 0.6.4.

Your issue could be related CMOS Battery needing replacing or to bootloader setting regarding NVRAM or RTC or DSDT or Restart. You have not stated what you use as a bootloader.
Appreciate your input and I saw that my USB3 card reader went from USB3 to USB2 after the boot hiccup??? Hmmm!
Any thoughts about this?

Your BIOS problems may be related to Bootstrap causing BIOS corruption. This has been fixed by Acidanthera with OC 0.6.4. The Bootstrap string is now set to None by default in the latest OC config.plist.

It's a long thread so make sure to read it all the way through to see how vit9696 comes to his conclusion and resolves this.

If you're short on time you can jump ahead to vit9696's explanation of this issue. He explains the cause of the problem, what they've done to prevent it and what other changes to make as well.

Thank you and I will have to read the post. It’s been booting up fine for two days. Here’s to knocking on wood.

Appreciate your input and I saw that my USB3 card reader went from USB3 to USB2 after the boot hiccup??? Hmmm!
Any thoughts about this?
USB3 config in the BIOS got screwed up ? Like XHCI handover got disabled ? Or USB3 got disabled ?

After setting the BIOS config the way I want, I always save the BIOS Profile onto one of the EFI drives and backup onto a USB stick. This way if the BIOS config ever screws up, I simply load the saved profile from an EFI drive or the USB stick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back