Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. I am re-animating << Fractal Thunder >>. I will report back.

When you say TB3>2 on Mac Pro... is that in order to run TB Display or storage etc?

I have re-animated. The FT lives. Sort of.

So I thought I would see what happens with a virgin Catalina install with Unibeast+Multibeast plain vanilla. It started! So I had a running Catalina machine that seemed to start, stop and continue BUT the graphics would not behave and there was no thunderbolt.

I couldn't get the HD4000 working whatever I tried (from perusing the helpful experiences here). I get this sort of repeated display problem shown in the attached picture. So I tried putting in a EVGA GTX 750 SC. That solved the problem I had with the repeat pattern. But it won't give me any different resolutions.

So I read around and discover that Apple and NVIDIA fell out some time back. So it seems that more recent versions of OS X / macOS do not work with NVIDIA? Also I see that Chimera has been superseded by Clover (bootloader and configuration tools). And it looks like elements of the next generation of sub-configuration tools (beyond clover) are becoming mainstream whilst the ultimate replacement of Clover may be emerging Opencore).

So my question now is one of strategy. I want to know what is the best approach to getting my machine working keeping the UP5-TH, with thunderbolt working especially for my A1405 Thunderbolt Display as it used to, keeping the Ivy Bridge i7 3770K. I am flexible on which version of macOS, what EFI config is used, what tools are deployed.

But it seems there are so many different options to getting to a stable build. I don't know what the best route is.

I recognize that it may be necessary to use an earlier macOS version in order to be able to use HD4000 or GTX 750 SC (?) It may be necessary to use certain older generation build and config tools in order to have the scope to address the 7 series, 3rd Gen environment (?)

I just don't know! I have tried to read about updates on Z77X-UP5-TH (and similar) boards and I7 3rd gen to work out the latest position but it's not yet clear to me whether I need High Sierra, Mojave or even up to date with Catalina. Or whether to use WhateverGreen or other tools to address the HD4000 and/or GTX 750.

I am also not sure whether using HDMI output (either from the board or the PCI card) is a problem, perhaps I should be using DP on the card and TB/DP from the board.

Can anyone who understands the underlying issue advise on a best route please? I can then proceed with detailed adjustment to achieve polished behavior without worrying that I am heading down a dead-end path.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1697.jpg
    IMG_1697.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 69
Update: after tearing what's left of my hair out, I have a better behaving monitor. I plugged an HDMI (at the box end, into the Mobo HDMI) to mini DP (into a BENQ BL2710) and the above problem is gone. Now I will crack on with the approach here.

It looks like you actually do have the HD4000 working now. If you plugged the monitor into the MOBO you are using the HD4000.

As for the other video issue, have you checked to see if you have a "high" speed HDMI cable? Those pesky critters come in way to many varieties. I could never get HDMI working at anything over 30 Hz on my 3770K/UP5-TH machine.

It looks like you actually do have the HD4000 working now. If you plugged the monitor into the MOBO you are using the HD4000.

As for the other video issue, have you checked to see if you have a "high" speed HDMI cable? Those pesky critters come in way to many varieties. I could never get HDMI working at anything over 30 Hz on my 3770K/UP5-TH machine.

Ah! Would that explain why I have now managed to get to Intel HD 4000 showing with a sensible amount of memory in the systems definition, 1080p resolution, the monitor being correctly recognised by the OS and the various scaling options for the display...

...but only when I connect remotely from my other Mac?

When I look at the monitor directly plugged by HDMI from mobo I get the dreaded repeated fuzzy login problem.

Please expand on this setup. How are they connected? Cables used? stuff like that.

I have enabled screen sharing on the hack. I then go into my Mac on the same wireless network, find the hack within network on finder and attach to it for screen sharing. It displays perfectly in the expected 1080p resolution.

On the actual monitor, connected via HDMI cable, I get the garbled screen. However once the machine weights from sleep, the monitor displays perfectly.

Hi Stork,
I would ask you for advice on upgrading my old Hackintosh Ivy Bridge system.

I initially planned to make a new system based on the CaseySj configuration:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/

(I would use: MB: Z390 Designare, CPU 9900K, GPU MSI RX 560 …..)
But after Apple's introduction SoC M1 I decided to wait a bit while and (maybe) improving the existing Hackintosh in the meantime.
I am currently using: Ga-P67a-ud5-b3 + i7 3770 + MSI 560 Aero itx + Samsung 850 pro

In the meantime, I bought a used motherboard: Ga-Z77X-UD5H, and I would like to buy a matching PCI E adapter and M.2 NVMe as well. I saw that it is possible to install m.2 NVMe on my motherboard (should support booting with the latest BIOS):

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...70k-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-660-ti.70530/page-60

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...77x-up5-th-gtx-760.73112/page-90#post-1487319

I am wondering do you recommend me to buy:

Samsung 980 pro
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08GS4FTL6/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

M.2 NVMe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07JJTVGZM/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

or maybe:

M.2 NVMe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01J36B75S/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

All suggestions are helpful.

@Ali, I'd recommend the Sabrent 512GB Rocket NVMe SSD. I am using two of them in my Asus ProArt Z490 Creator motherboard system. You can get them for less cost than the Samsung 980 Pro NVMe SSD, and, if there is a speed difference, you won't notice it.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07KGMBCKD/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

Either PCIe adapter card will work.

In the meantime, I bought a used motherboard: Ga-Z77X-UD5H, and I would like to buy a matching PCI E adapter and M.2 NVMe as well. I saw that it is possible to install m.2 NVMe on my motherboard (should support booting with the latest BIOS):

I am not sure the "latest" BIOS for that motherboard includes NMVe drivers.
I have the GA-77X-UP5-TH motherboard and it's "latest" BIOS does not NOT include NVMe drivers in UEFI.
I have a modified BIOS which has that driver included.

So before you buy an NMVe drive and PCIe adapter, make sure you have a BIOS that has the NMVe driver.
Modified BIOS is flashed at your own risk ;)

I have Sabrent 1TB NVMe drive and works great on my motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back