Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Stork

I have followed this & the Tonymac Mojave Installation Guide, guide to a "T" and read up on all the surrounding info. I am on a z77x-UD5H rev. 1.1, but, it has always been close in procedure with the UP5-TH. I used Hackintool to install the 38 recommended Bootloader patches, created a SSDT-UIAC.aml file for the USB (works great). I took @pastrychef 's post #1124 recommendation to use Clover Configurator to inject kexts from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other/ and moved over all my Hackintosh kexts from /L/E installed by the Hackintool step. The machine boots great.

I dragged and dropped the latest Lilu and WEG into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other/ in Clover Configurator, turned on "Inject ATI", turned off "Inject Intel". Shutdown, installed the my brand new Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB purchased recently. Booted into BIOS, changed DISPLAY FIRST INIT from IGFX HD4000 to PEG and disabled the IGFX.

It boots and displays and the GPU is seen in "System Info" and "About this Mac" properly as a 8GB RX580 But in DPCI Manager v1.8 and v1.5 the GPU is not shown in the window, But is recognized in the PCI list (see photos).

View attachment 428941
View attachment 428942

I am sure I have done something wrong, but, have no idea what.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have attached my config.plist in case I don't need all those boot patches (I removed the USB patches, after following the Hackintool v2.8 portion of your guide and creating the USB 15port SSDT-UIAC.aml file).

Also, should we be using SMBIOS iMac 14,2, Not 13,2? When I was on 10.12 14,2 worked well, but, I switched to 13,2 for to correctly set up the FB info, but there were small glitches with a GTX 1050i Headless with iGPU enabled.

Many thanks for your (or anyone else's) help!

38 recommended Hackintool patches for this board????? do you mean to tell me that if my hackintool shows me this (see scree shot) I have to use all the patches for my board....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 9.01.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 9.01.21 PM.png
    298.2 KB · Views: 87
I guess the main reason you chose 1mac pro 1.1 is because you use 2 GPU'S? Would would have done the same if you used only one GPU?

I guess the main reason you chose 1mac pro 1.1 is because you use 2 GPU'S? Would would have done the same if you used only one GPU?
Great question, the answer is yes and maybe. I built this PC/Custom Mac because I wanted QuickSync acceleration in Final Cut Pro/FCPX. After HS-High Sierra worked perfectly and I couldn’t get Mojave to work perfectly I decided to try another method. I have a 5,1 Mac Pro as a back up PC and used Open Core to change the deviceID to iMac Pro 1,1. Thus got all the Hardware Acceleration I needed in FCPX. As a person who knows to try and try again I decided to use the same technique with this Z77 board. Surprise, SURPRISE, using UniBeast, MultiBeast, KextBeast, and every tool on this site, I was able to achieve the same results.
If you would like more help let me know. I will try to log in more often.
Good luck and happy Hackintoshing. ;)

If you would like more help let me know. I will try to log in more often.
Hi @Solidww
Yes, I would like to know more!
I should note I am not using FCPX. I am using PremierePro 2018 and am moving towards Davinci Resolve 16 (DR16) for it's cross platform usefulness and FCPX-like new cut page.

MY Z77 UD5H rig in my signature has been great, but, I don't think I have quick sync working properly in Mojave. Performance with the RX580 helped a lot and as I recall Stork wrote many years ago that the iGPU Intel HD3000 was flaky on the 3770K that I run as well and best to avoid the iGPU + dGPU combo. I did try to get it to work under 10.12.6 and a 1050Ti but I was getting GPU crashes that the log reported as NVRESMAN or NVRAM crashes (or a similar term).

Since the quarantine I have built up a cMP 5,1 (which was gifted to me last fall) with RX580 and 2x 5680 procs and while it's great, I recently put Open Core boot loader package on it offered by Martin Lo and did not see any change in my render speeds.

My next rig (still in parts) is to build the CaseySJ GA Designare Z390 TB3 Golden Build. On that thread they are discussing this exact topic of render speed in FCPX and DR16 utilizing either an iMac 19,1 or iMacPro 1,1

I had thought we should stick to the SMBIOS that closest matched our hardware? Can you tell me what kind of render gains using the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS you have gotten? Lastly, do you think it's for FCPX only... I recall that DR16 would benefit from these hardware Intel Quicksync (hardware acceleration) tweaks as well... Is that right?

Thank you in advance.

Hi @Solidww
I should note I am not using FCPX. I am using PremierePro 2018 and am moving towards Davinci Resolve 16 (DR16) for it's cross platform usefulness and FCPX-like new cut page.

MY Z77 UD5H rig in my signature has been great, but, I don't think I have quick sync working properly in Mojave. Performance with the RX580 helped a lot and as I recall Stork wrote many years ago that the iGPU Intel HD3000 was flaky on the 3770K that I run as well and best to avoid the iGPU + dGPU combo. I did try to get it to work under 10.12.6 and a 1050Ti but I was getting GPU crashes that the log reported as NVRESMAN or NVRAM crashes (or a similar term).

Since the quarantine I have built up a cMP 5,1 (which was gifted to me last fall) with RX580 and 2x 5680 procs and while it's great, I recently put Open Core boot loader package on it offered by Martin Lo and did not see any change in my render speeds.

My next rig (still in parts) is to build the CaseySJ GA Designare Z390 TB3 Golden Build. On that thread they are discussing this exact topic of render speed in FCPX and DR16 utilizing either an iMac 19,1 or iMacPro 1,1

I had thought we should stick to the SMBIOS that closest matched our hardware? Can you tell me what kind of render gains using the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS you have gotten? Lastly, do you think it's for FCPX only... I recall that DR16 would benefit from these hardware Intel Quicksync (hardware acceleration) tweaks as well... Is that right?

Thank you in advance.
I am not using QuickSync on the Z77 Custom Mac or the 5,1 Mac Pro. I am using the RX480 cards for rendering in FCPX. If you’re planning to use DaVinci Resolve, then I would research how it utilizes hardware. I only use FCPX so that is what I build my computers for.

As for using a different DeviceID from the computer you’ve built. Yes, there’s issues. I don’t have proper Power Management features. But both RX480 GPUS are being utilized. The computer sleeps, boots, shuts down, all SATA ports, and USB ports work.

At this time I am happy with the performance and once the final version of Catalina is released I’ll attempt to upgrade.
I hope that helps and you’ve learned something.

Hi @Solidww

Thank you in advance.
One more thing, I plan to upgrade to a modern Z390/490/5XX/6XX system with TB3 in 2 years. At that point you’ll be helping me. ;)

Hi @Solidww

Thank you in advance.

@Solidww that does also answer one of my questions power management. if you're using IMP 1.1 there is cpu friend which is supposed to help with that...obviously you don't seem to use it...

if you wanna set up some kind of meeting let me know (eastern standard time here)

@Cfreak : exactly where I'm going too video editing wise : Resolve + a little Premiere because I do still have a lot of projects done with premiere... Now I'll go read on the 19.1 VS imp 1,1 articles you mentioned because it is the dilemma. Especially since I have 3 systems...The other aspect is whether pro apps give us problems (crash and other) if we do use a , because a lot of the especially premier are system definition dependant

@Solidww that does also answer one of my questions power management. if you're using IMP 1.1 there is cpu friend which is supposed to help with that...obviously you don't seem to use it...

if you wanna set up some kind of meeting let me know (eastern standard time here)

@Cfreak : exactly where I'm going too video editing wise : Resolve + a little Premiere because I do still have a lot of projects done with premiere... Now I'll go read on the 19.1 VS imp 1,1 articles you mentioned because it is the dilemma. Especially since I have 3 systems...The other aspect is whether pro apps give us problems (crash and other) if we do use a , because a lot of the especially premier are system definition dependant
Like I have said on this thread you all are helping me out. What is CPU FRIEND? :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back