Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Stork During these times I would rather have the cash that someone has offered me for this system than to be playing around with it. Bummer as I did like the computer a lot.
Make sure you remove macOS from your system or else you will be selling pirated OS with your hardware.

Thank you for all your help and support with this computer. I guess I won't be posting on this thread too much anymore. ;) :clap: oh and :banghead:, LOL.
Your welcome. Hope to see you back on the forum soon. :thumbup:

Make sure you remove macOS from your system or else you will be selling pirated OS with your hardware.

Your welcome. Hope to see you back on the forum soon. :thumbup:
But of course I removed the OS from the computer. I'm selling it as parts anyway, it's worth more that way. :)

@Stork Thanks for your detailed build posts and updates. I noticed you're using an Apple wireless keyboard with your Thunderball build. I have a very similar daily driver build with near-perfect Mojave installation that has a BCM94360CD wireless card (Wifi + bluetooth 4) connected to a PCIe adapter. Handoff and Continuity work flawlessly, but the keyboard (Apple wireless A1314) just doesn't work in the BIOS and Clover boot screen. My understanding is that my setup should allow the bluetooth card to switch into HID Proxy mode before the OS loads and pass along keyboard commands via the motherboard USB header. I have never been able to get this to work and always have to dig out my wired keyboard. Do you have any experience with this?

@thermus, its been a long time since I've used my Apple wireless keyboard, and I can't remember if I could use it in the BIOS.

However, I now use a Logitech K750 for Mac keyboard which uses Logitech's own wireless dongle (comes with keyboard). This keyboard works in the BIOS.

@Stork Thanks for your detailed build posts and updates. I noticed you're using an Apple wireless keyboard with your Thunderball build. I have a very similar daily driver build with near-perfect Mojave installation that has a BCM94360CD wireless card (Wifi + bluetooth 4) connected to a PCIe adapter. Handoff and Continuity work flawlessly, but the keyboard (Apple wireless A1314) just doesn't work in the BIOS and Clover boot screen. My understanding is that my setup should allow the bluetooth card to switch into HID Proxy mode before the OS loads and pass along keyboard commands via the motherboard USB header. I have never been able to get this to work and always have to dig out my wired keyboard. Do you have any experience with this?

In general, yes, your Apple keyboard and mouse should work in the BIOS. However, in older macOS there was an advanced option to define a device something as preferred or favorite. So, while it might paired and working OS X, if it was favored, then it wouldn't work in the BIOS. I am using a Broadcom card in an adapter on 3 machines and all three the Apple keyboard and mouse work in the BIOS, usually. Unlike a real Mac you have to press buttons to initialize the connection and so this can be problematic if you are tying to get in the BIOS before it boots for example.

Thanks, @Stork and @Shiitaki. In my case, I'm using the older-style AA battery-powered keyboard (A1314). Are some Apple keyboards or the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH motherboard just not capable of this? I went so far as to get a new PCIe interface with a 4-pin USB connector (V+/D-/D+/G) instead of the 2-pin (D-/D+) I had and it didn't work either.

Maybe a BIOS setting or should this just work automagically?

@Stork Hi stork. Nice to see you active and well...

I've updated My z77-ud5h to Mojave 10.14.6 and I'm going for the USB patch but I have really different starting point then what you have lol...

so I'm wondering if I have the right usb patches to begin with...ecause I've seen different ones here

post 82...

Basically I've done a "vanilla" clean install. 13.2 sys def with patched intel frame-buffers because for now I have a gtx 680 in there. I might have installed thinking I needed emulated nvm ram on this board but since then I moved emu variable driver...

And I'm trying to finalize my post install...

Yours amazing help would be appreciated cause I wanna finis setting up my 2 other builds too lol

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.4 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.03.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.03.29 PM.png
    439.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.14.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.14.17 PM.png
    690.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.13.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.13.55 PM.png
    199.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.13.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.13.29 PM.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.17.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.17.58 PM.png
    138.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.17.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.17.47 PM.png
    306.8 KB · Views: 60
Hey Stork, I am back. LOL :mrgreen::). I am doing this to pay respects to you and everyone on here. If it wasn't for all your help and support none of what I am listing down below would have been possible. Here's the story and I trust you are well and socially safe.

I wanted to try one more go to see if I could get this Z77X board to work as I wanted it to. That means Quicksync with dual GPUs, all USB ports fully functional, Thunderbolt, Overclocked to 4.5 GHz(or more), Wi-FI, and all the SATA ports fully functional. I am happy to report that I was able to do this.

First. I had to redo my UEFI BIOS as that was corrupted. I then used iMacPro 1,1 as the deviceID and that was the magic move. I was able to accomplish all this using Tonymac's UniBeast, MultiBeast, and KextBeast tools.

Holy cow does the machine perform well. The CPU and its age is definitely a limiting factor now. That's okay as I mostly will be working with 1080P or iPhone footage with this computer. Glad I didn't give up and decided to research a little more.

Thank you again and TTYS.

IMG_1683.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1682.JPG
    IMG_1682.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1684.JPG
    IMG_1684.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1685.JPG
    IMG_1685.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1686.JPG
    IMG_1686.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 57
Hey Stork, I am back. LOL :mrgreen::). I am doing this to pay respects to you and everyone on here. If it wasn't for all your help and support none of what I am listing down below would have been possible. Here's the story and I trust you are well and socially safe.

I wanted to try one more go to see if I could get this Z77X board to work as I wanted it to. That means Quicksync with dual GPUs, all USB ports fully functional, Thunderbolt, Overclocked to 4.5 GHz(or more), Wi-FI, and all the SATA ports fully functional. I am happy to report that I was able to do this.

First. I had to redo my UEFI BIOS as that was corrupted. I then used iMacPro 1,1 as the deviceID and that was the magic move. I was able to accomplish all this using Tonymac's UniBeast, MultiBeast, and KextBeast tools.

Holy cow does the machine perform well. The CPU and its age is definitely a limiting factor now. That's okay as I mostly will be working with 1080P or iPhone footage with this computer. Glad I didn't give up and decided to research a little more.

Thank you again and TTYS.

View attachment 474133

Yeah glad to see it's working for u. Have the same build trying to iron things out

First off, iMac Pro is a system definition not a device ID...I am also curious as to why you're saying it was the magic key for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back