Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be OK. (I'm not at Thunderball's location. Virus has me hunkering down at family location which we stopped to visit on the way North from snowbirding in Florida.) Update your kexts and Clover before you update, and you should be OK.
Awesome and thank you. Stay healthy.

We're OK. No virus...yet. My daughter convinced us to play it safe. We've only been out a coupe of times since the beginning of March to walk around her house and walk up and down the block. We've been using Clorox wipes on everything that enters the house. So, we'll be here for several months to come until the all clear orders are given to travel.
Wild! That’s all I am going to say. Glad you were willing to continue living your life regardless. This is good to hear.

@Stork
Revisited Catalina (10.15.4 at the time of writing) and got everything working including my Radeon R9 270 (fake id + whatevergreen was all that's needed which is much easier than the custom framebuffer patch method I used before). Onboard audio also wouldn't work with AppleALC until I added a properly patched DSDT.

Only 2 things not working for me is HDMI/DP audio (devices don't show up at all but I honestly don't care about this one) and sleep - hasn't been fixed by the updates it would seem. :(

@Zackptg5, Good job! With this virus causing me to hunker down at one of my family members house, I doubt that I'll see Thunderball for quite a while. Please post your installation procedures with UniBeast and MultiBeast and I'll reference your post in my build description. :thumbup:

@Zackptg5, Good job! With this virus causing me to hunker down at one of my family members house, I doubt that I'll see Thunderball for quite a while. Please post your installation procedures with UniBeast and MultiBeast and I'll reference your post in my build description. :thumbup:

Created UniBeast installer with normal method.
Changed BIO settings as outlined in OP of this thread (kept VT-D enabled - dart=0 is already applied with UniBeast).
Disabled CSM in BIOS - important for clover/boot proper resolution.
Used DP in my R9 270 for setup; can't speak for the others - they all work after install is completed though.
During setup, Disk Utility was unable to wipe my W10 drive - doing it in Terminal worked fine.

Post-Install
MultiBeast:
  • UEFI Boot mode
  • Audio:
    • AppleALC
  • Disk:
    • 3rd Party Sata (for marvell controller)
  • Misc:
    • VirtualSMC
    • VirtualSMC Plugins
    • HWMonitorSMC2 HWMonitor Application
  • Network:
    • AppleIntelE1000 - latest version
  • USB:
    • 7/8/9 Series USB Support
    • Remove XHCI USB Port Limit
    • USBInjectAll
  • Bootloaders:
    • Clover UEFI Bootmode
  • iMac 14,2 smbios
  • Customize -> Graphics Configuration:
    • Core Graphics Fixup AKA WhateverGreen
    • InjectATI
All of the Acidthera kexts in MultiBeast were outdated so after the install, I grabbed the latest from github and put them in the .../Clover/other/ folder, replacing the existing ones.

Uefi Drivers:
  • ApfsDriverLoader
  • AptioMemoryFix
  • FsInject
  • HFSPlus
  • NTFS
  • VirtualSmc

Then open the newly created Clover config.plist with Clover Configurator:

• Add "0x68101002" to ATI FakeID -> We're calling my R9 270 an R9 270x
    • An additional bin patch was also required but that's no longer the case with WhateverGreen
  • In Kernel and Kext Patches only have the following checked:
    • PanicNoKextDump
    • Apple RTC
    • AppleIntelCPUPM
  • In ACPI, disable everything except (I could probably get rid of these too but haven't test it yet):
    • Halt Enabler
    • FixHeaders
    • FixMCFG
Last step is generation of DSDT and SSDT. Grab original with Clover (press F4 at Clover Boot Menu). Copy DSDT and SSDT files to patched folder.
Apply the following patches in order to DSDT:
  1. Rehabman Laptop Repo: Fix *pnp/pnp lower case Error
  2. PJALM Gigabyte Repo: Z77X-UP5 TH
  3. PJALM Graphics Repo: MEI - Intel Ivy (not sure if this is needed anymore or not since using dedicated card)
For SSDT, there are 2 options:
  1. Generate one with pikeralpha's ssdtprgen script
  2. Use original ones, the following patch will need applied:
    1. SSDT-1-Cpu0Ist will need the "Remove _PSS Placeholders" patch from Rehabman's laptop repo
Only difference I noticed was that Method 1 had working turbo states while the second didn't. Yhe turbo states weren't even defined in them curiously. So, I ultimately went with a hybrid of the 2 for now:

Went with Method 1 but also kept the "SSDT-0-SataTabl.aml" SSDT file since it's unrelated to cpu

Problems:
No audio device for the graphics card is detected (honestly don't care much about this one).
Computer doesn't go to sleep - display and audio go to sleep but the rest of the computer doesn't.
Once proper graphics settings are applied as outlined above, boot takes a while - not a big deal but a minor annoyance.

I'm using a Crucial MX500 SATA SSD and Trim works OOB curiously. Don't know if that's a change on Apple's part I missed or something.

UPDATE
Swapped out my R9 270 for my RX 580 and that delay in boot and hdmi audio issues went away. Not surprising since the R9 270 isn't really mac compatible in the first place

Last edited:
Created UniBeast installer with normal method.
Changed BIO settings as outlined in OP of this thread (kept VT-D enabled - dart=0 is already applied with UniBeast).
Disabled CSM in BIOS - important for clover/boot proper resolution.
Used DP in my R9 270 for setup; can't speak for the others - they all work after install is completed though.
During setup, Disk Utility was unable to wipe my W10 drive - doing it in Terminal worked fine.

Post-Install
MultiBeast:
  • UEFI Boot mode
  • Audio:
    • AppleALC
  • Disk:
    • 3rd Party Sata (for marvell controller)
  • Misc:
    • VirtualSMC
    • VirtualSMC Plugins
    • HWMonitorSMC2 HWMonitor Application
  • Network:
    • AppleIntelE1000 - latest version
  • USB:
    • 7/8/9 Series USB Support
    • Remove XHCI USB Port Limit
    • USBInjectAll
  • Bootloaders:
    • Clover UEFI Bootmode
  • iMac 14,2 smbios
  • Customize -> Graphics Configuration:
    • Core Graphics Fixup AKA WhateverGreen
    • InjectATI
All of the Acidthera kexts in MultiBeast were outdated so after the install, I grabbed the latest from github and put them in the .../Clover/other/ folder, replacing the existing ones.

Uefi Drivers:
  • ApfsDriverLoader
  • AptioMemoryFix
  • FsInject
  • HFSPlus
  • NTFS
  • VirtualSmc

Then open the newly created Clover config.plist with Clover Configurator:

• Add "0x68101002" to ATI FakeID -> We're calling my R9 270 an R9 270x
    • An additional bin patch was also required but that's no longer the case with WhateverGreen
  • In Kernel and Kext Patches only have the following checked:
    • PanicNoKextDump
    • Apple RTC
    • AppleIntelCPUPM
  • In ACPI, disable everything except (I could probably get rid of these too but haven't test it yet):
    • Halt Enabler
    • FixHeaders
    • FixMCFG
Last step is generation of DSDT and SSDT. Grab original with Clover (press F4 at Clover Boot Menu). Copy DSDT and SSDT files to patched folder.
Apply the following patches in order to DSDT:
  1. Rehabman Laptop Repo: Fix *pnp/pnp lower case Error
  2. PJALM Gigabyte Repo: Z77X-UP5 TH
  3. PJALM Graphics Repo: MEI - Intel Ivy (not sure if this is needed anymore or not since using dedicated card)
For SSDT, there are 2 options:
  1. Generate one with pikeralpha's ssdtprgen script
  2. Use original ones, the following patch will need applied:
    1. SSDT-1-Cpu0Ist will need the "Remove _PSS Placeholders" patch from Rehabman's laptop repo
Only difference I noticed was that Method 1 had working turbo states while the second didn't. Yhe turbo states weren't even defined in them curiously. So, I ultimately went with a hybrid of the 2 for now:

Went with Method 1 but also kept the "SSDT-0-SataTabl.aml" SSDT file since it's unrelated to cpu

Problems:
No audio device for the graphics card is detected (honestly don't care much about this one).
Computer doesn't go to sleep - display and audio go to sleep but the rest of the computer doesn't.
Once proper graphics settings are applied as outlined above, boot takes a while - not a big deal but a minor annoyance.

I'm using a Crucial MX500 SATA SSD and Trim works OOB curiously. Don't know if that's a change on Apple's part I missed or something.

UPDATE
Swapped out my R9 270 for my RX 580 and that delay in boot and hdmi audio issues went away. Not surprising since the R9 270 isn't really mac compatible in the first place
Very nice work with updating this guide, thank you.

Hey @Stork are we allowed to speak about OpenCore on this site? I am considering using it on this Z77X board for fun :mrgreen: and testing hum:banghead:.
Yes, but please include OC in the thread title so as not to confuse people. At this time, User & Golden Builds descriptions are to be UniBeast/MultiBeast oriented. There are OC guides/question threads in the Bootloaders forum section.

If you are using OC but have questions on the use of macOS or problems attributed you macOS, you can post in the appropriate macOS forum section.

Be advised OC is a young Beta development. (Several of us believe it's actually in an Alpha stage.) Therefore, backup your working Clover installation. You need to realize that it's not a trival experience to have a OC installation. Good luck.

Yes, but please include OC in the thread title so as not to confuse people. At this time, User & Golden Builds descriptions are to be UniBeast/MultiBeast oriented. There are OC guides/question threads in the Bootloaders forum section.

If you are using OC but have questions on the use of macOS or problems attributed you macOS, you can post in the appropriate macOS forum section.

Be advised OC is a young Beta development. (Several of us believe it's actually in an Alpha stage.) Therefore, backup your working Clover installation. You need to realize that it's not a trival experience to have a OC installation. Good luck.
That was why I put this emoji :banghead: on my post from earlier, thank you. LOL
Out of curiosity, do you know a good way to activate h.264/HEVC on Radeon cards within a Hackintosh environment. The whole reason I bought this board was I wanted Quicksync support and there's always something that doesn't work right. That's definitely a :banghead: and :beachball: set of moments.

@Stork During these times I would rather have the cash that someone has offered me for this system than to be playing around with it. Bummer as I did like the computer a lot.

Who knows though once everything gets better maybe I'll come back stronger with a Z390 or by then Z490 set up.

Thank you for all your help and support with this computer. I guess I won't be posting on this thread too much anymore. ;) :clap: oh and :banghead:, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back